Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Briar-killing a Monster in Combat
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
IP: Logged
icon Briar-killing a Monster in Combat (0)  
If, through the use of Mimics, you attack multiple enemies in a single turn, and the death of the first enemy causes nearby briar to grow and kill the second enemy *before* the combat with it is resolved, then an assertion error "Assertion error in line 2950 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "pMonster->bAlive" is fired, although the combat will still essentially occur, but with the enemy dying on the first hit instead. Greckles will be awarded as normal and briar will grow a second time.

So there's an immediate inconsistency there (briar growth happens immediately, but the combat is still allowed to continue). However, DROD RPG becomes extremely unstable after this event occurs, and will crash if you undo, restart the room, or other combinations of room-altering/loading events.

EDIT: The above bug also occurs if the enemy is on a bridge and the bridge falls before the combat is resolved. Bomb explosions (and Build Explosion) seem to not cause the bug to happen. I'm not sure what combinations of enemy-killing events can cause this bug, but it is worth noting that this is a slightly more general condition than just a briar-kill between combats.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 08-17-2009 05:13 PM]
08-17-2009 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
icon Re: Briar-killing a Monster in Combat (0)  
This has also happend to me just yesterday while playing Chaco's fetch the pie, specifically the 2nd interlude. I pretty sure TFMurphy found the bug while doing the same thing (99.9%) In 2S (I think) I killed the first 3 (or 4) antlions (nests) then killed the last two nests with the mimic and me together. the brair grows, I attempt to move, DROD crashes. Can someone confirm that if this happends with multiple mimics and if this happends even with no brair? (I doubt it happends with multiple mimics and doubt it happends with no brairs) You managed to report this before me :P
08-17-2009 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Briar-killing a Monster in Combat (+3)  
Fix submitted to SVN. I've added a couple of checks to try and prevent combat from initiating with a monster that has been killed by other means. So a briar growth that occurs immediately after killing one monster will prevent combat from occurring with a second monster (instead of the second monster being killed twice and crashes ensuing).

This does mean that if you drop a monster from a bridge on the same turn you move to kill it, then the bridge will take priority and you won't fight. This also means that if your ATK and DEF are too low, the game will still prevent you from making an "invalid move" even if your chosen move would ultimately not result in combat due to the bridge dropping. So there's still some questions regarding this type of thing, but at least it shouldn't crash and burn now.
01-05-2011 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Briar-killing a Monster in Combat
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com