Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Songs of the Eighth.
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Songs of the Eighth. (+1)  
Once again, I have come up with a strange contest idea. In preparation for the grand opening of Camp Beethrowatha in 2014, we need to start writing songs to sing around the campfire. We will need plenty of new material to keep those busloads of silly preadolescents busy. Kumbaya and Michael Row Your Boat Ashore aren't going to cut it. It's time to write our own DROD-flavored songs!

Rules of the Contest

1. You must write song lyrics that correspond to one of the songs distributed with DROD. I have attached Lars Kristian Aasbrenn's original Webfoot DROD music in a separate topic. The songs from Caravel DROD may also be used.
2. The lyrics should have something to do with DROD or the Eighth. It could be about how nobody appreciates dungeon exterminators, how your wife wants you to stop playing DROD and get off the computer, the story of a Goomper the Gleeful Goblin, or many other things.
3. You don't need to provide lyrics for the entire song. Any section of it will do fine.
4. To submit your song, post a reply to this topic between June 16th and June 23rd, 11pm (23:00) GMT--no earlier, no later. A poll will be created June 23rd for all songs submitted by the deadline.
5. Your song should include at a minimum, the music file upon which it is based (i.e. "whistler.s3m" ) and the lyrics which correspond. You may also wish to provide a song title, instructions for listening, (i.e. "The lyrics start in after the horn plays, and notes match up with the piano." ) or other info.
6. You can make multiple entries, and it shouldn't hurt you for competing, because the poll will ask for each entry to be rated on a scale of 1 to 10 (as opposed to asking which entry is the best).

Prizes

First place winner gets any item of his choosing from the DROD Store and 100 rank points. The second- and third-place runner-ups get 50 and 25 rank points, respectively. And anyone who posts a recording of himself singing his own song, gets 13 rank points, no matter how inconceivably horrible it is!

Now what important information did I forget to specify?

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-02-2004 at 09:22 PM GMT: Changed rule 6--multiple entries and versions okay. Added link to LKA music.]

06-02-2004 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Songs of the Eighth. (0)  
*Groan*

Erik?!

That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in this DROD Forum/Community. What were/are you thinking?

:)

Naturally, I probably won't be entering this contest, since I don't do things like writing songs - I'm inherently bad at it. I can write music, but not songs.

However, good luck to anyone else who is going to enter this strange contest. May the best "song" win!

06-02-2004 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It is weird, you're right. Too weird? I don't think so.

Okay, I need three people to say they are maybe probably gonna do it. Three entrants or the contest collapses in a pile of dust and we'll have to come up with something else. Remember, you only have to write a few stanzas to make a proper entry. Easy! Easy!

Come on now, folks! Don't make me any more embarrassed about this than I already am. :)

Also, one additional rule: Multiple entries are allowed. We will use a rating system similar to the last contest, except a scale of 10 instead of 5. In this way, your various entries won't compete with each other.

-Erik

06-02-2004 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Okay, I need three people to say they are maybe probably gonna do it. Three entrants or the contest collapses in a pile of dust and we'll have to come up with something else. Remember, you only have to write a few stanzas to make a proper entry. Easy! Easy!

Come on now, folks! Don't make me any more embarrassed about this than I already am. :)

Oh, did I offend you, Erik?

Well...

If only my Sibelius 3 could help me with lyrics...

Your blackmail is too much. I'll give the contest a thought, although don't expect too much from me. I'm better with notes than words. However, I'm pretty sure that there are loads of people out there who have better capabilities/imagination with words than I, so I'd say I'm probably in the minority.

06-02-2004 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Oh, did I offend you, Erik?
No, no. I'm just like the DJ who tries to get people out on the floor to dance.
Your blackmail is too much. I'll give the contest a thought, although don't expect too much from me. I'm better with notes than words. However, I'm pretty sure that there are loads of people out there who have better capabilities/imagination with words than I, so I'd say I'm probably in the minority.
The DJ says get your back up off the wall. :)

Hey, maybe you could throw your DROD scores into the pool of usable DROD songs?

-Erik

06-02-2004 at 10:26 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Songs of the Eighth. (+1)  
Ha. I might enter this one. It is actually a pretty good idea.

06-02-2004 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I think it's a fine idea too. Time to clean the cobwebs off those angsty, nostalgic teenage years and come up with some lyrics! :smile

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-02-2004 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
The DJ says get your back up off the wall. :)
:sly

:D

Hey, maybe you could throw your DROD scores into the pool of usable DROD songs?

-Erik

Hmm...

I don't know whether perople actually listen to the DROD Scores, and writing songs for them... well, it's a bit dubious.

But, then again, who cares?

Go on then. The DROD Scores can also be used in this contest. (If anyone does actually use them, then I'll be quite honoured, and probably very shocked)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-02-2004 at 11:03 PM GMT]

06-03-2004 at 12:03 AM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
I might join... sounds easy enough... and if only 3 people enter, auto-rank points for me! I wouldn't mind something from the store either.

Don't say I'm a definate, but I'll think about it.
06-03-2004 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I think this is fabulous idea for a contest, and the judging will be much, much simpler than judging a hold. No guarantees, but I'll probably make an entry.

06-03-2004 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I'll do it. If I can get my mic working properly, I may just nab those extra points, too. Oooo, evil.
06-03-2004 at 02:22 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Three things:

First, consider me in, I will be entering.

Second, if we sing more than one of our songs, do we get 13 rank points for each one?

Third, what if the same person wins two or three of the prizes?

06-03-2004 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
Yer, suppose I'll give it a go too. Never written songs before, but a DROD song sounds fun :)
06-03-2004 at 11:34 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I probably won't enter.
I don't speak english very good, and I have no experience at all of writing songs.

Although I admit it'd be cool to hear what others' voices sound like. :)

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-03-2004 at 05:02 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Three things:

First, consider me in, I will be entering.
Very nice.
Second, if we sing more than one of our songs, do we get 13 rank points for each one?
Hmm.

13 for the first one. 7 for the second. 4 for the third. 2 for the fourth. 1 for the fifth. Nothing for any of the others aside from voluntary message rankings from other users. And while I'm at it, to encourage participation, let's have a one-time award (not multiplied by number of entries) of 5 rank points for anyone who makes an entry, whether it wins or not. So many ways to play! So many ways to win!
Third, what if the same person wins two or three of the prizes?
Oh, yeah. If one entry gets first place, another gets second, etc. but they were entered by the same contestant. Then we will pile up prizes on that talented individual. It's meritocracy, baby!

-Erik

06-03-2004 at 05:04 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Songs of the Eighth. (+2)  
We're getting close to the 16th, when people can post their songs. The more songs we get the better! I would like you self-doubting types to consider that even an entry that isn't your best work can be worthwhile entertainment for us all, so don't be shy about sharing. Remember that multiple entries are allowed, so you can get away with posting songs that you don't think are capable of winning, but are fun to listen to, alongside your greatest masterpiece. I guess I'm slightly worried about people not posting anything because they have an ambitious idea for a song and it ends up taking too much time to complete. That seemed to happen for the Master Map of the Eighth contest.

I'm going to post some lyrics I wrote out a while back for the DROD title song, in hopes it will inspire participation or at least give a clear example of how to make a submission. Originally, I was planning on using something like these lyrics in the DROD game, but in the end, I decided it was not a good idea to explain the mechanics of restarting a game with a story element--the metaphysics of the Eighth shouldn't match up so closely to how a computer game works.

This song will not be an entry in the contest.

The Whistler
For whistler.s3m from Caravel DROD. Lyrics correspond to melody part that starts in after 12 seconds.

If you die
It is not the end yet
Please don't cry
You can start again--just say when

If you die
I can pull some strings, cause
I'm the guy
That will fix it right back again

(instrumental 24 seconds)

Don't ask why
But I have this job to
Restore life
And without restraint. No complaint.

But please try
Try to make it worthwhile
You can't buy
Any better place or better time.

I'd be you
And I'd take your spot but
I can't do
All your special tricks. I just fix the

Stupid mess
You are bound to make, so
I suggest
Use that ugly head. Live instead.

When you fall, it's not always so fair
At your call, the Whistler will be there.
Death and all, the Whistler can repair.
He's your friend. The last one to care.

Don't remember
All you lost and just what it cost you
Start your gift life
No regrets and no debts to pay back

But remember
Your mistakes and just what it takes to
Make your progress
Deeper and down until you reach the end

(instrumental 40 seconds)

If you die
It will be too early
Please comply
Please just stand up in the boots again

I deny
Your fake death slumber
You can try
But it wastes my time, so give it up.

When you die,
You're just being lazy
Shouldn't lie
Underneath the ground with worms around.

So stop dying now.

-Erik

06-13-2004 at 10:38 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm going to post some lyrics I wrote out a while back for the DROD title song
Hey, cool. To encourage people to also post recordings of themselves singing their songs, how about you let us all hear you singing this? ;)

06-14-2004 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ClaytonW
I've got my mic working. Can anybody recommend a good free program that I could used to record my "singing", then overlay it on the music?

On a side note, I'd like to point out that I think Erik's music is much easier to write lyrics to than Lars'. Erik's is slower, with more prominent places to fit in lyrics. At least, thats how it appeared to me.
06-14-2004 at 10:56 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Dibs on the Sanctum theme.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
06-15-2004 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
joker5 wrote:
Dibs on the Sanctum theme.
Heh. No dibs on songs. If somebody else really wants to do Sanctum, they can do it. Of course, expressing that you want to write for Sanctum might end up influencing other people to pick something different.

-Erik

06-15-2004 at 01:00 AM
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
Hey, cool. To encourage people to also post recordings of themselves singing their songs, how about you let us all hear you singing this? ;)
If I get some time, I'll record it, because Beethro says...

"Courage, my friend! Courage! The first rule of good showmanship is that when someone asks for a performance, make no excuses and get to the task! You will show your best, and that should never begin with an apology."

-Erik

06-15-2004 at 01:05 AM
ErikH2000
ClaytonW wrote:
I've got my mic working. Can anybody recommend a good free program that I could used to record my "singing", then overlay it on the music?
You know, I was going to recommend Syntrillium's CoolEdit, because you could always sorta get the trial version to do what you wanted by restarting it multiple times. CoolEdit got bought up by Adobe, and is now called "Audition". Here is a link to the trial version. Haven't tried it, but maybe it will work for your purpose:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/download.jsp?ftpID=2145

Hmm. What a wimpy lead. You could probably find a slew of stuff on download.com. Or maybe somebody else will give a better suggestion.

-Erik

06-15-2004 at 01:16 AM
Schik
ErikH2000 wrote:
Schik wrote:
If I get some time, I'll record it, because Beethro says...

"Courage, my friend! Courage! The first rule of good showmanship is that when someone asks for a performance, make no excuses and get to the task! You will show your best, and that should never begin with an apology."
Beethro continues: "Unless it was a joke. Then you don't have to."

Seriously, I was kidding. Don't feel like you have to do this. Spend your singing time on JtRH instead. :)

Edit: That's not to say that Erik will be singing in JtRH.

[Edited by Schik on 06-15-2004 at 01:05 AM GMT]

06-15-2004 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Personally, I'm just going to use the Recorder program that comes with Windows. Just turn the speakers up really loud.... :punk

[Edited by DiMono on 06-15-2004 at 02:28 AM GMT]

06-15-2004 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Is there a way to get the windows recorder to record more than a minute at a time?

Sad realization: My singing always sounds worse when played back to me. It sounds like I'm singing the same note over and over, but I swear it's not that way when I listen to my own voice. :(
06-15-2004 at 03:58 AM
DiMono
Hmm... maybe I'll rig up the SoundForge that came with my SBLive! then...

06-15-2004 at 04:01 AM
ClaytonW
All these programs I've been downloading cannot import the s3m files for the Caravel songs, and I haven't been able to find a converter.

Any chance I could get settledown in mp3?
06-15-2004 at 04:05 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
ClaytonW wrote:
Is there a way to get the windows recorder to record more than a minute at a time?
There is, but it's really convoluted. You record a minute. Then add another minute on the end. If you rewind and record over the two minute file, it records two minutes. You can get it arbitrarily long in that fashion. I'd give more specific instructions, but I've switched to Linux since that discovery.

++Adam H. Peterson
06-15-2004 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik

File: SettleDown.mp3 (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 100 times.
License: Other
ClaytonW wrote:
All these programs I've been downloading cannot import the s3m files for the Caravel songs, and I haven't been able to find a converter.

Any chance I could get settledown in mp3?
Here you go.

06-15-2004 at 04:27 AM
ClaytonW
Thanks!
06-15-2004 at 08:14 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Songs of the Eighth.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com