Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Watch the Bar!
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Watch the Bar! (+1)  
This, I do declare, will become the official "Watch the Bar" thread, wherein which we comment on the gradual increasings of the yellow bar at the top of the forum. By the end, this should become somewhat like a New Years Eve countdown for geeks.

Anyhow, the bar made it to 54% today! Unbelievable! It seems like it was at 53% just yesterday... Our little bar's growing up fast!

06-01-2004 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Watch the Bar! (+1)  
You are attacked by a bar. Yup.
I reckon there's a lot of bar in these here woods.
Boy howdy.

:P

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-01-2004 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Watch the Bar! (0)  
53 yesterday, 54 today - who knows where it will end? :D

06-01-2004 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I predict 90-95% for a while at least

You know about how the testing/bug squishing process always takes longer than you expect. I bet that it will require a lot of testing before the final release.

06-01-2004 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yes, but hopefully we'll be the ones who'll be allowed to do the testing.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
06-01-2004 at 05:22 PM
masonjason
Whoa, 54.5! What's that about?

06-01-2004 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
masonjason wrote:
Whoa, 54.5! What's that about?
That's about right between 54 and 55. ;)

06-01-2004 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Personally, I'm waiting for progress to be at almost 63%, in anticipation of seeing "20*pi%" below the bar.

06-01-2004 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
It's a slippery slope. Maybe it'll go to 55 next and everything will be alright for a bit, but the next thing you know it'll be 64.75 or 90.8 or 73.1415926535897932384626433832795 or 82 + 1/2(sqrt5 + 1). These non-integers will seize any chance they get.

Edit: Dammit, DiMono beat me to it while I was typing! Well, mine's more in-depth :P

[Edited by masonjason on 06-01-2004 at 07:08 PM GMT]

06-01-2004 at 08:07 PM
MartianInvader
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 126
Just remember the golden rule of programming, folks: The first 90% of the job takes the first 90% of the time, and the next 10% of the job takes the next 90% of the time. I'm bracing myself for the bar to follow that rule. :)

[Edited by MartianInvader on 06-02-2004 at 12:55 AM GMT]

06-02-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
MartianInvader wrote:
Just remember the golden rule of programming, folks: The first 90% of the job takes the first 90% of the time, and the next 10% of the job takes the next 90% of the time. I'm bracing myself for the bar to follow that rule. :)

[Edited by MartianInvader on 06-02-2004 at 12:55 AM GMT]

Definitely. 90% + 90% = 100%

06-02-2004 at 09:42 AM
Astronaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
Just out of curiosity: What's the bar counting down to? The resurrection of drod.net? :huh

And please: feel free to call me stupid...

06-03-2004 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
The release of DROD 1.7/2.0 - Journey to Rooted Hold.

06-03-2004 at 09:01 PM
Astronaut
Ahh...excellent...

With any luck I'll be through Dugan's by then, passed L21 & L22 today...

And thanks, agaricus5, for enlightening a somewhat confused roachling.

06-04-2004 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Well, it looks like DiMono and masonjason nailed it. The bar is now at 55.25%. :blink Anyway, I don't mind non-integers, if only the bar isn't going to do a practical demonstration of Zeno's paradox for its finale.

[Edited by Watcher on 06-04-2004 at 09:07 PM GMT]

06-04-2004 at 10:07 PM
Astronaut
Watcher wrote:
Well, it looks like DiMono and masonjason nailed it. The bar is now at 55.25%. :blink Anyway, I don't mind non-integers, if only the bar isn't going to do a practical demonstration of Zeno's paradox for its finale.

[Edited by Watcher on 06-04-2004 at 09:07 PM GMT]

Well, if it's one quarter of a percent today, one eighth tomorrow, then 1/16 and so on, Journey to Rooted Hold should be released just about when Acilles catches up with that turtle. I expect that to be any day now, since, I mean, they have been running for quite some time now, haven't they?

06-04-2004 at 11:05 PM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
I think they released 1.6 around August (correct me if I'm wrong guys). Seeing how 1.7 will have new graphics, new monsters, new shabang. And also they have to make another hold that's longer/shorter(?) than KDD. My guess is theat it will be released around late August.
06-05-2004 at 12:44 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Hopefully before the end of summer, anyways.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
06-05-2004 at 02:46 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
icon Re: Watch the Bar! (+2)  
The way it's moving, and assuming that on weekends they do .25%and on weekdays it's .125%, then every week we get 1.125 percent. Actually, I'm guessing it's more like 1 percent because Mondays suck and no one does anything on Friday.

We've got 44.5 percent to go, right? So, 44.5 weeks is about 70-80% pessimistic as to when it'll be finished.

Maximum pessimism says never, near-maximum says another year, and optimism says 10 weeks at the outside. Subjective time says it'll seem like forever getting there and playing with the new game will make time fly. The economic impact will be completely insignificant except for one company's cash flow, which should increase by over 1000%. The puzzles are expected to be devious and creative, increasing the insanity of the DROD community by about 5%. The Hints topic will explode, and the General topic analyst says that it will increase in inverse proportion to (distance from release + 1 hour).

That was my analysis, from the Greek suffix -ysis, meaning 'to pull numbers from' :smartass:

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
06-06-2004 at 05:50 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
joker5 wrote:
That was my analysis, from the Greek suffix -ysis, meaning 'to pull numbers from' :smartass:
:lol ROFL

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-06-2004 at 09:27 PM
agaricus5
joker5 wrote:
Subjective time says it'll seem like forever getting there and playing with the new game will make time fly.
Well, you could always play with relativistic effects and time dilation and perhaps your time could "speed up" relative to ours.

The puzzles are expected to be devious and creative, increasing the insanity of the DROD community by about 5%.
Come on. Only 5%?

How many new monsters will there be to be astonished at and learn the movement/usage of?

I'd say at least a +25% increase in insanity, and long DROD sessions lasting until about 3am in the morning.

Actually, isn't the suffix "-lysis", meaning "to dissolve/pull apart"?

For example, "electrolysis" - "The splitting/decomposing of an substance by an electric current".

:)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-06-2004 at 09:34 PM GMT: Prefix? I meant suffix.]

06-06-2004 at 10:33 PM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: Watch the Bar! (+2)  
agaricus5 wrote:

Actually, isn't the suffix "-lysis", meaning "to dissolve/pull apart"?

For example, "electrolysis" - "The splitting/decomposing of an substance by an electric current".

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-06-2004 at 09:34 PM GMT: Prefix? I meant suffix.]

Actually I think the root word there really means "to clean and disinfect, preferably with a pine-fresh scent"

06-06-2004 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
Stuwy wrote:
I think they released 1.6 around August (correct me if I'm wrong guys). Seeing how 1.7 will have new graphics, new monsters, new shabang. And also they have to make another hold that's longer/shorter(?) than KDD. My guess is theat it will be released around late August.

If the previous version was released in August and they are now 55.5% done with the new one, then it should be released in February.
06-07-2004 at 11:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
The last two versions of DROD were each officially released near the end of October.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-07-2004 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
I'd say at least a +25% increase in insanity, and long DROD sessions lasting until about 3am in the morning.

those are the short DROD sessions
the long sessions are when you start playing Saturday morning
and suddenly its time to go to work
06-08-2004 at 05:52 PM
joker5
Agaricus, I think we're fairly insane already. 5% is a large leap from where we're standing. End of October, huh? Halloween or DROD, Halloween or DROD...

No contest here. I can buy candy later.

~joker5

06-09-2004 at 04:21 PM
joker5
57! We're getting there!

~joker5

06-11-2004 at 06:22 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Yay! Finally, 57.(3)%. Your predictions were right after all.
06-11-2004 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
*Groan*

Why?

I can understand 0.5/0.25%, but 57.3333333%?

That's really pushing it. :)

And... That's not an invitation to add even smaller fractions, irrational numbers, trancendental numbers (pi or e), or even complex numbers to the bar.

06-11-2004 at 10:51 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
There is the limiting factor of what your monitor and video card can display. As it stands now, if you have a high enough resolution, the progress percentage of 57.333333333% can be depicted with complete accuracy. To carry out to further than 9 places in the number would be frivolous, since no existing equipment can display at sufficiently high resolution to do that.

-Erik

06-12-2004 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Watch the Bar!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com