Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good action games
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: Good action games (0)  
Krishh wrote:
I agree that the controls were annoying but you get used to them, especially after 3-3, curse that level.
Agreed. After dying a million times in that level, trying it on easy mode with no success and after getting all gems from all levels before 3-3 (just to prove that it's unfairly difficult compared to other levels) I still can't make it!
05-19-2005 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Pretty much the only method that worked for me there was retrying it until chimney climbing was a reflex to me. Now I can do it with my eyes closed. (literaly, I just tried. I only couldn't hit the opening without looking)
05-19-2005 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Just to make you hate me, I went back to my original game and beat 3-3 on the 5th try. Once you get the initial sequence down, the rest of the level isn't so bad. Once you get the finger movements down, getting to the top quick isn't that hard, it's just having to make the split-second decision as to whether you can make it over the wall naturally, or if you have to let yourself fall down the left wall a bit in order to get enough height.

I wish I could explain better...my fingers just remembered the rhythm necessary to complete that section. And it really is a rhythm...it reminds me of being in band, playing the clarinet, and when I had a passage memorized, my fingers just did it without me even thinking about it anymore.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-19-2005 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Me, too. that's what I meant by reflex. Actually, I was pretty freaked out when I realized my brain has no idea what my fingers are doing and I'm still beating the level. :?
05-19-2005 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I can do the chimney climbing part quite easily but I usually die in the end at the falling part because I can't turn quickly enough (or I turn too quickly) and there's very little time to prepare because the blue blocks before that fall fast... More trying, I guess.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:05-19-2005 at 07:23 PM]
05-19-2005 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Doom wrote:
I can do the chimney climbing part quite easily but I usually die in the end at the falling part because I can't turn quickly enough and there's very little time to prepare because the blue blocks before that fall fast... More trying, I guess.

Ah. The key there, for me, is to just run off the blue blocks, push left after you fall a bit, and then let go of the left arrow key and jump straight up before you hit the mines. This gives you time to collect yourself and be ready to push to the right and get to safety.

This is the "mid-air acceleration" I was talking about in Jumper 2. If you are moving one way in mid-air and then hold the other direction, it reacts slowly...but jumping is a good way to quickly change your direction. Just make sure you change directions (or totally let go of the arrow keys) before you jump, otherwise you will keep going in the same direction. In Jumper 1, you can turn on a dime in mid-air and a section like this one is much easier (although still difficult...it is Jumper, after all).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-19-2005 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Krishh wrote:
A new game I found out about about a month ago, Doukutsu Monogatari or Cave Story in english (the game was originally in Japanese but the version there is translated).
Krishh, you are solely responsible for me not finishing up a new CaravelNet feature I've been working on. This game is really good... I can't put it down to do some real work!

As for Jumper, I've finished Jumper, Jumper 2, and Jumper Redux all 100%. :smartass:

And I've finished the most recent N, 1.4, 100% as well.

05-19-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I agree with what Schik said about Cave Story...except that since I have to run it in fullscreen in order to have it not be sluggish, I can't really play much now. But I will later!

And as long as we're being competitive, I got 100% before Schik on all 3 Jumper games. :P He kicks my butt at N, though...I only got 100% completion last night, and he's always ahead of me.

Game on,

05-19-2005 at 08:33 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I can't get past 1-5.

I said I can't get past 1-5!

I can get the gem but I can't get past the spiked wall.

Stupid people with their being good at games and mumble grumble grrr...

05-20-2005 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
I completed the 3-3 with patience and made it quite easily to 5-5 after that.

3-3 isn't the most difficult level so far but it took the longest time to beat propably because I still had some learning with the controls.

I also got the red gem in 3-3 in less than 15 minutes after returning to it later :)

Matt, if you mean J2:1-5 and the part right after the bridge of blue blocks, this is how I did it.

Click here to view the secret text

05-20-2005 at 05:50 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Where do I get Jumper?

Cave Story is t3h brilliant! It is entirely awesome and had me addicted for the weekend (including a second play to get some of the secrets found and extra items). The only thing that baffles me is the endgame; you get to fight a boss, then a second boss with two shapes, then two minor and one extremely major boss simultaneously and all without a chance to heal and get more ammo. It feels not even remotely possible.

Then there's the secret level which is EXTREMELY tough, has a midlevel boss and ends in the baddest boss I've ever seen which also has multiple forms. And people SPEEDRUN it... I couldn't complete that with 250 life points...

Anyway cool game! Play it!

05-20-2005 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Radiant wrote:
Where do I get Jumper?
Oneiromancer wrote:
Jumper, Jumper Two, and Dim are platform-style games, and they are hard!
05-20-2005 at 11:09 AM
Krishh
The first endgame is not that hard once you know how to do it, but the first impression is quite baffling. However, I think I'll have to redo the whole game if I want to beat hard mode because I used up the healing jar on the normal last boss, and just don't see any way I'll ever defeat the hard ending without it. ( the best I've gotten is beating the first form of the very final boss)
05-20-2005 at 01:16 PM
Radiant
The one with drill? Er, what? IIRC the third boss is the flying toaster oven, or the big frog. Either way, I'd suggest pounding him with powered-up missiles. You do have all your weapons at level three, don't you? And if your life is at 8, you probably missed some powerups. Did you get the one at the farm?

05-23-2005 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
B0rsuk's talking about Eternal Daughter, as he mentioned at the very top of his post, not Cave Story.

I'm stuck at the tank boss thing in the Labyrinth in Cave Story, but I haven't been trying much recently due to being very busy...hopefully I will be able to try again soon.

Game on,

05-23-2005 at 10:24 PM
Doom
I'm stuck at the normal final boss in cave story.

I can defeat the first boss without taking damage.
The second boss first form is also quite easy.
The second form is a little harder but I can usually defeat him.

But the last boss is just insane. It's so confusing when there are so many missiles and several enemies hopping around the room. Also, I was (a fool?) and went for the hard game immediately :) and this is why I don't want to use the life pot just yet.
05-24-2005 at 07:31 AM
Krishh
icon Cave Story (0)  
Some hints with SPOILERS:

05-24-2005 at 07:50 AM
Radiant
Oneiromancer wrote:
B0rsuk's talking about Eternal Daughter, as he mentioned at the very top of his post, not Cave Story.

Oops! Amazing how the comments can apply to both though, about frogs and bubbles and 8 life and stuff.

I'm stuck at the tank boss thing in the Labyrinth in Cave Story, but I haven't been trying much recently due to being very busy...hopefully I will be able to try again soon.

05-24-2005 at 10:55 AM
Krishh
Spoilers about the Labyrinth boss:

05-24-2005 at 12:17 PM
Oneiromancer
Oneiromancer wrote:
I've already decided that I'm going to buy it, actually...it was that good, and there are only 8 levels in the free version (although I did beat them on all 3 difficulties...there are actually some decent differences between them). I need to wait until after my defense next Tuesday though.

Well, I did get it today, as an after-defense present to myself. And I promptly wasted most of the whole morning getting up to level 25 (out of 100). And it's simply beautiful...brings a tear of joy to my eye. There are levels with the blocks intially balanced like a set of scales, pendulums with loose strings and pendulums with rigid rods, and my favorite so far, a level where all the blocks are totally free to move around the upper 90% of the screen. It was sweet, sweet chaos, especialy when I had 4 balls on the screen at once!

Anyway, I'm glad I got it...now to try to get some real work done today...

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:05-25-2005 at 07:59 PM: Can't count...]

05-25-2005 at 07:40 PM
Radiant
Which game would that be? Sounds tempting.

05-26-2005 at 10:15 AM
Krishh
icon Re: Good action games (+1)  
He's talking about Break Quest.
05-26-2005 at 10:23 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I've been playing Jumper and enjoying it, but for some reason on my computer some of the levels make it play extremely slowly. The train level was horrible, and now I'm up to the mountain one and thinking I'm going to have to give up as theres no way I can tell whats going on with it running so slowly (because of the snow moving around in the background I suppose).. is it just because my computer isn't fast enough, or..?
05-27-2005 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Probably, yeah. The game engine isn't particularly efficient, it takes several minutes to load on my computer...

05-27-2005 at 12:28 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
My comptuer runs at 2.1GHz and it uses 100% of my CPU almost constantly :? .
05-27-2005 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Hm, that's rather interesting... I'm at only 350 MHz (yeah, oldbie, I know; but I got the new low-detail version of DROD/JTRH so that doesn't cause trouble)

05-27-2005 at 12:52 PM
Oneiromancer
TripleM wrote:
I've been playing Jumper and enjoying it, but for some reason on my computer some of the levels make it play extremely slowly. The train level was horrible, and now I'm up to the mountain one and thinking I'm going to have to give up as theres no way I can tell whats going on with it running so slowly (because of the snow moving around in the background I suppose).. is it just because my computer isn't fast enough, or..?

My laptop's decently fast, and sometimes I would have really bad slowdown...which actually made the game easier. It's wasn't necessarily related to the type of level, but would happen most often when I went from one set of levels to another, and the game transitioned to a cutscene and then back again.

But I would also often get little jerks in the framerate, that made getting throught the game a lot harder than it needed to be, and really upped my death count. I found that closing my e-mail program helped a lot with the jerkiness...it was jerking every time it checked for new messages. Based on what wackhead_uk said, I would suggest making sure all of your other programs are closed, especially music players. Then see how the performance is. And run spyware checks too, if you haven't already...

Game on,

05-27-2005 at 03:41 PM
Radiant
Yay! Finally completed Cave Story (well, the non-hell ending, anyway; but the undead core was giving me trouble until I started plastering him with level-3 missiles)

05-27-2005 at 04:15 PM
Doom
I beat the cave story normal game today. The hell dungeon is giving trouble from the very beginning, though. Super-accurate jetpack tricks aren't too easy...

edit: Made it to the first boss in the hard dungeon but died because I didn't find inventory key in the action... And it's pretty long way there too. Are there even any save points in there?

edit2: Made it to the THIRD form of the last boss... I feel like I won't be finishing this dungeon. And no, there weren't any save points :(

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 02:00 PM]
06-06-2005 at 11:47 AM
Radiant
No, there aren't any saves (but there are a few powerups in the middle, and you should still have the Jar). To my amazement I've seen a speedrun AVI that does it in about three and a half minutes...
Final boss has four forms. Weapon of choice should be the Nemesis, although the Spur and Mega Missile are workable. Not that I've managed that. I've read that the Snake works very well here because it's armor-piercing, but I've never replayed the game to actually find it.

06-06-2005 at 02:06 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good action games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com