Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : My DROD has stopped working
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon My DROD has stopped working (0)  
I was being a bit silly, I suppose, but I've managed to make my DROD crash and I've now lost all my data (I think).

What I did was to try to run DROD across my network on a different computer. DROD didn't start at first (the connection was slow), so I tried opening it on the main computer to see if there was a problem. When I did this, the window popped up on the other computer's screen, and I had then opened two instances of DROD across a network, one on each computer. I closed the one on the main computer, and DROD started up very slowly. I then tried to edit a room, but as soon as I tried to playtest it, I couldn't move Beethro at all, even though the Num Lock was on. I then tried to press Escape and the program made a few dong noises before closing automatically. I opened DROD on the main computer next to see if it was still working, and although it started up fine, I encountered the same problem again, except that when I moved this time, dong noises were produced, and the monsters moved, but I did not. Escaping again had the same effect. I then re-opened it and tried to play someone's hold, which seemed alright, but whe I pressed escape to return to the menu, the program made some more dong noises and quit. The next time I opened DROD and tried to gain access to the build screen, it made dong noises and then closed automatically. On subsequent openings, I get a blank screen, but four dong noises are made before the program closes.

My text.dat and drod1_6.dat files are now larger than 10MB and so are their backups, meaning I think they are corrupted, and I have a stderr.txt file that contains this: "Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)"

Attached are the drod1_6.dat, text.dat, player.dat and drod.err files (The bits at the start of the drod.err file were only caused me trying to run Sibelius and DROD simultaneously, which is not a good idea).

Edit:

I've just realised exactly how much data I've lost. I looked at the file under kviewer.exe, and found that there is still data that is accessible inside. Is it possible in any way to extract the holds that I was working on from it at all?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 05-30-2004 at 11:30 PM GMT]

[Edited by mrimer on 06-01-2004 at 06:32 PM GMT]

05-31-2004 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: DROD 1.6 Corruption.zip (1.3 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Other
icon Re: My DROD has stopped working (+1)  
I tried again to crash my DROD, this time on purpose to see if I could reproduce the bug and got some interesting results. I reinstalled DROD, keeping the old versions elsewhere, and reproduced the problem caused by opening two versions of DROD at once, closing one of them before they could load. Attached to this post is a zip file containing the original working files, and a folder containing them after the corruption. I've had a look at them using Windiff, and it looks like DROD has copied and moved data around the files.

I think DROD is trying to edit data in the starting up sequence, so with two instances of it running, the data is being re-edited or moved as the programs become confused about exactly where all the data actually is.

Edit: Oh, and try running DROD with this set of corrupt data and watch DROD become even more confused about the positions of things. It will try to move things at the start of the files to the end and vice versa, followed by duplications of the data in random places.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 05-31-2004 at 10:55 PM GMT]

05-31-2004 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: My DROD has stopped working (0)  
We've half fixed the problem. I can now see the data/holds, but just can't export them.

Thanks Mike!

06-01-2004 at 08:55 PM
agaricus5
My DROD has stopped working again, except it's more like a sort of degradation than a direct bug.

What has happened this time is similar to last time - when I try to edit something, DROD locks up, sending out warning/error noises around 5-10 times a second, and inflating the dats to twice their size.

This time, however, it happened suddenly, and without any warning. However, although I can't reproduce this particular form of the bug, I am suspicious that it has ahd something to do with problems I had with the hold previously. When I removed any scroll in Bavato's Dungeon, after leaving the room, DROD gave me a warning noise. On checking the .err file, it seemed that DROD could not find the location of the text of the scroll, so although I deleted it, DROD did not find the original location of the text, or something similar, so it couldn't delete it in the .dat file.

I suspect that with the deletion of lots of scrolls with this problem, there is a lot of this sort of superfluous data floating around, and so somehow, DROD has become confused about the location of something, and so has corrupted itself.

On using an old set of backups I have, and re-importing Bavato's Dungeon into it, I find that deleting a scroll in this dungeon gives this same warning noise, although since it has only happened once, DROD did not do anything else odd. This prompts me to think that it is not DROD that contains the problem, but the hold instead. You might want to check it to see if there is any superfluous data within it, or if there are any database problems within the hold.

Attached to this post are the corrupted files, and a copy of the latest version of Bavato's Dungeon.

Edit: I reinstalled DROD, and imported my old player file, and then Bavato's Dungeon. This time, deleting scrolls had no problems. Perhaps I was wrong, and it was more of a case of demos getting corrupted like last time? I did keep replacing test rooms in a test hold for testing outside the editor, which may have caused some demos created in the hold (I cannot remember) to become redundant or broken.

Edit2: I forgot to patch my DROD to 1.6.5, and did so just now. When I tried again with the scroll, I got the scroll deletion error noise again. Do you think that this problem I'm having could be specific to the 1.6.5 patch?
[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-02-2004 at 11:06 PM GMT]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-03-2004 at 11:18 AM GMT]

08-02-2004 at 11:13 PM
agaricus5
sebhaque wrote:
Sound Effects and songs - have you added any new music to the DROD files lately?

I don't think it's anything to do with that. My dats are very bloated (9.5 MB for drod1_6.dat) and the .err file is full of errors to do with my demos:

Assertion error in line 436 of E:\\data\\DRODCVS\\Caravel\\DRODLib\\DbDemos.cpp: "SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."

08-06-2004 at 11:35 PM
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Sound Effects missing - these are probably your warning signals you are recieving.
dwMessageID probably incorrect
Repeated "Commands in saved game ID#12623 could not be played back."
A heck of a lot of "SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."

I think you've got a case of corrupted DROD files. A lot of files fail to load and DROD is confused as to what some things do.
08-06-2004 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HSE
D'oh. I'm not used to editing posts and having fast responses...
08-06-2004 at 11:37 PM
HSE
I've just had a go at Bavato's Dungeon, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it...
08-06-2004 at 11:39 PM
agaricus5
sebhaque wrote:
Sound Effects missing - these are probably your warning signals you are recieving.

That happened a very long time ago - check the date of the error message.

I think you've got a case of corrupted DROD files.

I think I've figured that one out already.

A lot of files fail to load and DROD is confused as to what some things do.

I don't think it's to do with external files at all. When I copy over these dats with some older versions I have lying around, everything works. I personally believe that it's to do with the .dat file becoming corrupted in such a way that DROD can no longer read the database inside it. It seems that it's more to do with the saved demos than anything else, since the last recovery I got from Mike included removal of all the demos from the .dat file.

08-06-2004 at 11:43 PM
HSE
OK, I'm all out. I'm tired and I got a dentist appointment at 9am tomorrow. I'd probably have more facts and a better knowledge but I can barely type, let alone use my extremly slow brain to work things out.
Later, man.
- Seb
08-06-2004 at 11:48 PM
agaricus5
This strange deleting scroll problem is back with my 1.6.6 patch, and it's even marginally worse. On placing a scroll and then deleting it, it makes an error noise immediately.

My DROD.err contains quite a few of these errors now:

Assertion error in line 67 of C:\\Caravel\\DRODLib\\DbMessageText.cpp: "eSetMessageID != UNBOUND_MESSAGE"

Is my DROD getting corrupted again?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-10-2004 at 10:48 AM GMT: Missed a word]

08-10-2004 at 12:07 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
agaricus5 wrote:
This strange deleting scroll is back with my 1.6.6 patch, and it's even marginally worse. On placing a scroll and then deleting it, it makes an error noise immediately.

My DROD.err contains quite a few of these errors now:

Assertion error in line 67 of C:\\Caravel\\DRODLib\\DbMessageText.cpp: "eSetMessageID != UNBOUND_MESSAGE"

Is my DROD getting corrupted again?
Argh, I have no idea how that got in there...hmm...I'm going to post an .exe patch that fixes this in the 1.6.6 News thread here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-10-2004 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
The bug's gone now!

Thanks, Mike.

08-10-2004 at 11:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : My DROD has stopped working
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com