Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : The minimap and characters (Specifically found in MetDROiD Prime.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon The minimap and characters (0)  
I've applied this new feature (see rooms from the minimap) to this old hold (MetDROiD Prime), and found something odd.

In this hold, there are characters blocking passages that require codes to remove them. Once they are removed, they do not return. Now, perhaps this is a quirk of the script, and something (perhaps) to do with things on move zero, but on the minimap, the characters appear even if they have been removed.

I'm not even sure if this is a bug--but I think it would be nice to see the room as it would be with turn zero in effect, if this is something dealing with turn zero phenomena.

06-16-2009 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The minimap and characters (+1)  
It's possible that those characters are still in the room, with a script that says "if wait until room clear: disappear" at the start. In which case, as far as the game is concerned, the characters are there until the script is run; and I'm not sure it's sensible/possible/etc. for the minimap to do a quick script runthrough to see if anything appears or disappears.

That's my guess, at any rate.
06-16-2009 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: The minimap and characters (0)  
My initial thoughts were similar to Tahnan's, but after some more though, showing the state after turn 0 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, nor too much of a hassle.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 06-17-2009 08:17 PM]
06-17-2009 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Except that their appearance on turn zero may depend on which entrance you come from, which means that there's not really any good way to do it except to show the state of NPCs before turn zero.
06-17-2009 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
How about showing the state of the room the last time you visited it, post-turn 0?
It only makes sense that way if you ask me since it's all off Beethro's memory.

That way if you have a turn 0 script that changes some global values and then determines the appearance it wouldn't affect anything.

[Last edited by Insane at 06-17-2009 10:16 PM]
06-17-2009 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
So if there was a character there the last time you visited, and you stabbed that character a few turns later, the character should still show up?

I really think the only solution here is to show it as it currently appears; it's up to architects to use invisible characters that appear, instead of visible ones that disappear, if they're concerned with the appearance on the enlarged minimap.
06-17-2009 at 10:35 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: The minimap and characters (-1)  
How about displaying it the way it was the last time you visited/left the room except that ended scripts (stabbed characters) get omitt--

oh **** idk

[Last edited by Schik at 06-18-2009 12:11 AM : c'mon now]
06-17-2009 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Tahnan wrote:
Except that their appearance on turn zero may depend on which entrance you come from, which means that there's not really any good way to do it except to show the state of NPCs before turn zero.

Scripts checking whether Beethro is in a certain area of the room should just act as if he isn't in that area. Seems a reasonable compromise to me.
06-17-2009 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : The minimap and characters (Specifically found in MetDROiD Prime.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com