Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff Switching Babies
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Tarstuff Switching Babies (+2)  
Whenever a Tarstuff Switcher Token is activated, all babies of the affected colors will get an immediate extra turn, allowing them to move twice overall.

This bug is new in Build 85.

EDIT: This bug is not specific to babies either: if you step on a token immediately after a spawn turn, then mothers of the affected colors will grow again.

EDIT 2: Actually, it's not just an extra turn: I've had occurrences where the babies have switched twice, or not all of the babies have switched, or the babies got some large amount of turns from a single token, or I got different results if I undid the turn and tried it again. So yeah, the current behavior is extremely broken and pretty unusable.

===

This is obviously from the fix put in place for Tarstuff growth on the same turn that an NPC activates a token. It seems like you're giving the new entities an extra Process or something. Wouldn't it be a little easier to replace the CueEvent PrivateData when you're adding the mother into its correct spot in the monster list? As far as I can see, it should just be as easy as calling a CueEvents.Remove with the original monster reference, and if that returns true, adding a new CueEvent for the new monster. (Of course, I could be missing something -- I still need to get a compiler installed sometime)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 05-28-2009 03:07 AM]
05-28-2009 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Tarstuff Switching Babies (+5)  
Okay, finally spent a few hours getting my compiler up and running again. Here's my attempt to implement a CueEvent-style fix to the original bug in Build 84.

Click here to view the secret text

Obviously, these changes will also require the addition of the CueEvents parameter for SwitchTarstuff in DbRooms.h and in the three calls to it in CDbRoom::ActivateToken.

I had to manually check that if a Growth Event's monsters are all deleted, then the CueEvent itself should be removed, since simply using Remove on it and reducing it to 0 entries didn't work -- it caused an assertion in GrowTar where it expected a monster to be found. Don't know if there's a better way to make the switch between CueEvents: how is it usually handled for prematurely killed mothers?

I have, however, tested this fix with a handful of rooms: stuff revolving around babies now work fine once more (Museum of Ooze, for example), and the fix appears to work as intended in Murder in the Basement, as well as with a test room I quickly put together with Invisibility Potions, Mothers, Tokens, Mimics and NPCs. Can't say I've exhaustively tested, but it seems promising to start with. By only concern is if anything needs the CueEvent prior to its switch -- but the only thing I can easily think of is Characters which can only check if a CueEvent has occurred, and that's more a Movement Order problem for the architect than something we should deal with, I think.
05-28-2009 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Tarstuff Switching Babies (+1)  
Say, since there's a fix for this, could it get implemented sooner rather than later? I'd love to play Token Effort, but it doesn't look like I'm going to have much luck.
06-08-2009 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
*cough cough*

It's just that this has been a known issue with a known solution for over a month. Could someone at least reassure me that it's being worked on?
07-08-2009 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Tarstuff Switching Babies (0)  
I've marked this thread for Mike, but you may need to email him to attract further attention to this.
07-08-2009 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Er, help me out here, because I don't think I understand the process. Does Mike not check the bugs board on a regular basis? Or is there not someone whose job it already is to contact him with priority bugs? I don't want to find myself annoying him by mailing him every time a bug goes unsolved, especially since I don't want to have to guess what's a priority and what isn't.
07-09-2009 at 03:25 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Mike is very busy with other things (personal life) lately, so he doesn't check the board very often. But do feel free to mail him anyway. TFMurphy fixed the bug above, so Mike just needs to check it and upload another build to the forum.
07-09-2009 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5065
Yes, I just got buried in a pile of personal stuff to work on lately. Sorry I'm not staying up on issues as much as usual. I'm happy to test and include TFMurphy's fix in a new build as soon as I can.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2009 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5065
Thanks for this fix, TFMurphy. I've replaced my buggy fix with your good fix.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-22-2009 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff Switching Babies
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com