Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Pontifications and Portals (A one-time special offer for May)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Pontifications and Portals (+2)  
This month's newsletter deviates a bit from our usual approach of sharing some of the awesome activity on the Caravel Forum. There be time-sensitive material here, so read on! We plan to return to a normal newsletter format in June, but for this month, we have a special offer I'd like to share with our dedicated fanbase. If you want to skip the pontifications on evangelizing DROD and indie games in general below, you can just skip to the bottom for the meaty part.

The Pontifications

There are many steps along the way to making an indie game successful. So you design your very own special game with solid gameplay, unique premise and engaging story. The hallmark of indie game development is innovation, but "success" hinges on more than this crucial element. To make sure people look twice, there's naturally the need for nice graphics and a striking visual style. However, success is typically framed in terms of market penetration. As many before me have argued, the greatest obstacle to success is obscurity.

Caravel has a nice, growing suite of DROD titles. One reason I myself have spent so much time with DROD is because of the way it pulled me in from the start with its unique gameplay. When Erik Hermansen announced an enhancement to his original (Webfoot) DROD around 2002, I embraced his vision and supported it wholeheartedly. From that time, DROD has held a special place in my gamer's heart. This story has been repeated for many other developers and players, including those of you who have experienced and championed DROD in some shape or form. Though DROD is a niche franchise by design, many of you would probably agree with the sentiment that the greatest obstacle to DROD's success is still obscurity.

While we've rarely worked with dedicated marketers, we've experimented with a few different distribution models, including your usual gamut of game portals. As you can imagine, just putting DROD as another spot on the endless wallpaper of games on a big game portal doesn't bring in most of the sales. What has been effective at getting the word out is, as you might expect, word-of-mouth: some love shared in a write-up on someone's blog, a kind mention at a gaming venue, a personal promotion on a well-travelled gaming site. Knowing that DROD brings joy to someone is our main motivation. And that brings us to the meat of our Illumination...

The Offer

I'm pleased to announce a one-time limited offer to acquire the DROD games at half-price this week, only on Game du Jour!

Game du Jour (GDJ) is the first "One Deal a Day" website ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_deal_a_day ) dedicated to indie and casual games for the PC. GDJ's home page features a different game every day at a steep discount (typically 40% to 60%.)

The following games will be discounted this week on Game du Jour, the first 'one-deal-a-day' website dedicated to indie and casual games:

*** Tue. May 26th: 50% off on DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale

*** Wed. May 27th: 50% off on DROD: The City Beneath

*** Thu. May 28th: 50% off on DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold

*** Fri. May 29th: 50% off on DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon

If you don't have one or more of these DROD titles yet, or have been thinking of getting a copy or three for a friend or family member, this is a great time to buy! We are providing this promotion as another step in bringing DROD out of obscurity, and I'm mentioning it here as a bonus to dedicated players who love the game but might not have enough cash to buy at full price. Buying a title for this promotion helps support the Game du Jour site as well as Caravel Games in bringing you new DROD titles in the future.

Till next month, happy smiting!

-Mike

Edit: You can purchase Windows, Mac or Linux versions of these games through this offer on GDJ.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-27-2009 04:55 AM]
05-26-2009 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rhywun
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Pontifications and Portals (0)  
What about Mac versions...? Not that I'm ungrateful--I've bought two DROD games, but I'm on the fence with the RPG game and if this is Windows only I'll be a little disappointed.
05-26-2009 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
I don't see why it wouldn't be for windows, mac and linux.
05-26-2009 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606

File: order.jpg (88.9 KB)
Downloaded 757 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Pontifications and Portals (+2)  
rhywun wrote:
What about Mac versions...?
It is also discounted for Mac (and Linux).
Simply go to the Game du Jour website and click on the button that reads: "I want it now!" Doing so will take you to the Caravel Games Plimus order page which will display a coupon code for 50% off.*

* Note that you'll have to click "Next" first before you actually see the coupon code.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-26-2009 08:10 AM]
05-26-2009 at 07:36 AM
NiroZ
I thought you bought the linux, mac and pc version all at once.
05-26-2009 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

This is really a good idea and a nice opportunity! :D

A couple of questions.

Will buying DROD: RPG this way provide a discount for the shiny CD version when it comes out?

Do the offers also apply for the CD version? (of KDD, for example).
05-26-2009 at 08:18 AM
NiroZ
its just a coupon code, so if you upgrade to cd you still get a discount. Just won't be 50% off anymore.
05-26-2009 at 08:42 AM
Lamkin
icon Re: Pontifications and Portals (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
I thought you bought the linux, mac and pc version all at once.
You do, but this way you'll be sent a link to download only the version that you've selected. If you have CaravelNet, you'll have access to the other versions via the forum's download link; if you don't, I'm assuming you'd have to e-mail support if you wanted another version.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.) :unsure
05-26-2009 at 08:50 AM
rhywun
Cool, thanks.
05-26-2009 at 12:27 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Hooray! I'd been thinking of maybe getting RPG for a while, so this was a good opportunity. Hopefully it'll bump up your sales quite a bit.
05-26-2009 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Bombadil wrote:
This is really a good idea and a nice opportunity! :D
Thanks! We're still experimenting with what works with respect to distribution models, so I'm glad this offer is receiving a positive reaction.
Will buying DROD: RPG this way provide a discount for the shiny CD version when it comes out?
Sure, I'd be happy to honor the usual CD discount deal (i.e. I'll send you a discount coupon code to upgrade to a CD purchase at any time in the future) for anyone who has the download-only version of DROD RPG. This still applies to the other games on CD once this promotion is over.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-26-2009 04:23 PM]
05-26-2009 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil

I have just bought RPG and I'm pretty happy about it.

I played through the demo when it got released but I didn't enjoy it as much as the "classic" DROD games, though I heard it gets more interesting deeper inside the game.

I think there were quite a few people like me and I think these offers are a good idea to get to them.
05-26-2009 at 06:08 PM
t_z
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Lamkin wrote:
It is also discounted for Mac (and Linux).
Simply go to the Game du Jour website and click on the button that reads: "I want it now!" Doing so will take you to the Caravel Games Plimus order page which will display a coupon code for 50% off.*

* Note that you'll have to click "Next" first before you actually see the coupon code.
It would be nice if the Game du Jour website also mentioned Mac and Linux as supported platforms. This might help get additional interest in the game. I originally discovered DROD by reading a review on a Linux site.

By the way, is anyone promoting this on sites like Digg?

t_z
05-26-2009 at 08:28 PM
rhywun
Confirmed--it was easy to purchase the Mac version.

t_z, that probably wouldn't help because Mac users like me don't pay any attention to Game du Jour because we know it's (normally) Windows only.
05-26-2009 at 11:50 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
*facepalm* I knew I forgot something. Sorry, mrimer.

05-27-2009 at 12:12 AM
mrimer
zwetschenwasser wrote:
*facepalm* I knew I forgot something. Sorry, mrimer.
Argh! Me too! Sorry about that -- let's make it up next month with two picks.

05-27-2009 at 04:55 AM
Lamkin
Bombadil wrote:
Do the offers also apply for the CD version? (of KDD, for example).
It doesn't appear that this question has been addressed, so yes, the 50% off discount applies to the CD version of each game, and it even extends to the limited-edition boxed set of The City Beneath.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-28-2009 01:10 AM]
05-28-2009 at 12:54 AM
NiroZ
I think he meant 50% off the download, plus cd costs.
05-28-2009 at 02:16 AM
Lamkin

File: order.jpg (92.2 KB)
Downloaded 427 times.
License: Public Domain
NiroZ wrote:
I think he meant 50% off the download, plus cd costs.
Nope. :)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-28-2009 04:01 AM]
05-28-2009 at 03:53 AM
t_z
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
The 50% off coupon code seems to work for all Caravel games--KDD, JtRH, TCB, TT--downloadable or CD--on any day of the promotion, not just the specific day a particular game is promoted. It also works for downloadable Smitemaster's Selection credits. This is a great opportunity to stock up on those.

Curiously, the coupon code does not work for the CD version of Smitemaster's Selections, nor for a 1 year CaravelNet membership.

There doesn't seem to be a limit to quantity of purchase.

t_z

[Last edited by t_z at 05-28-2009 11:11 PM]
05-28-2009 at 05:25 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Wait so... If I buy the Deluxe TCB box now, it costs 17 dollars minus 20 for having bought it online... which means Caravel gives me three dollars? :)
05-28-2009 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Dex Stewart wrote:
Wait so... If I buy the Deluxe TCB box now, it costs 17 dollars minus 20 for having bought it online... which means Caravel gives me three dollars? :)

mmmh. sorry. what?
05-28-2009 at 05:50 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I bought TCB when it came out for 20 dollars, which gave me a 20 dollar discount should I buy a physical copy of the game. Now the Deluxe box only costs 17 dollars and 48 cents. Ergo, if I buy the Deluxe box, I get 2 dollars and 52 cents from Caravel :P.
05-28-2009 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I'm not sure you can use more than one coupon code at a time... though if you can I'm definitely gonna want to get in on that deal.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 05-28-2009 06:59 PM]
05-28-2009 at 06:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Pontifications and Portals (A one-time special offer for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com