Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta's internal makeup (A few questions about how to get the same affects)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Vector Vendetta's internal makeup (0)  
When you first made VV I immediately tried to achieve a similar effect, but not having a good enough grasp of geometry really let me down.
So, after a few Days, I gave up.

However, the game I'm trying to make currently is top down, so I decided not to use sprites, as they get a bit hampered while you're trying to rotate them and the like.

Basically, How did you get the bullets in VV to work just so?
I've been giving the problem quite a think, but I cant seem to figure out the minute angle changes in the direction.
It's quite obvious you didn't use characters for position and movement, as the movement would be much too jerky.
I assume you used some nasty method involving Euclidean Geometry, which is why I haven't been able to figure it out, as I have almost no understanding of the subject.

The rotation has also been a bit tricky, but I haven't really been putting so much thought to it, as it isn't as important to what I'm trying to achieve. Again, it's probably just a matter of coordinate geometry(more of the bloody stuff!), but any help could save me allot of time and headache.

Thanks

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
05-24-2009 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
icon Re: Vector Vendetta's internal makeup (0)  
Please? :(

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-03-2009 at 02:17 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Oh. It's a bunch of trigonometry, yes. You know, x += v sin theta, y += v cos theta, stuff like that. AGS isn't really meant for this sort of thing, so you'll need some semi-advanced math skills to pull this off. Emphasis on "semi" though, my follow-the-bouncing-balls demo ended up much worse.

06-03-2009 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
By the way, Wonkyth, what happened to that VV FAQ you were writing?

06-14-2009 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Ahh.
That.
I haven't done anything on it for quite a while, what with my own projects and other free-time consuming things, like life.

All the stuff in that long post in the VV thread is going to be included, but hopefully it will be a little more intelligible, as the current stuff is basically just a brain-dump of all the tactics I've used.

I seem to remember holding out for a fix for the High-Score bug, so that I could put in some more long-term strategies, but as that would distract you from your current projects, that seems like it's not coming.
I would offer to to fix the bug Myself, but it would seem a bit presumptuous to ask for the sourcecode :P .

Anyway, I'm still planning on completing it at some point, but it might be a while coming. ;)

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-17-2009 at 12:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta's internal makeup (A few questions about how to get the same affects)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com