Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Kangaroo's Dungeon (my first hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
HEROACE
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: A Kangaroos Dungeon.hold (7 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A Kangaroo's Dungeon (+2)  
NOTE THE VERSION ON THE SIDE IS OUTDATED BECAUSE 2S IS UNSOLVABLE

http://forum.caravelgames.com/getattachment.php?id=27014 is the new file

Hello, I'm HEROACE, a new member of the DROD boards but I'm not a total noob when it comes to playing DROD. Anyway this is a hold I'm currently working on. There's only 1 level at the moment but I'm hoping to have three by the end. Unfortunately I can't work on a new level for a couple of days because I have a project for school I've been putting off, although if the first level needs drastic changes (broken/unintended solutions) I'll do it right away. I've played all the rooms myself and they are all beatable. Constructive critisism is welcome.

By the way, how do I submit the scond level when it's done?

[Last edited by HEROACE at 03-26-2009 03:44 PM]
03-25-2009 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: A Kangaroo's Dungeon (0)  
Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll like it here.

HEROACE wrote:
By the way, how do I submit the scond level when it's done?

You can put all levels in the same hold file, and just attach a newer version in a reply to this thread. Make sure to edit your first post when you do so mentioning a newer version is below, so people see which version is the newest.
03-25-2009 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
icon Re: A Kangaroo's Dungeon (+1)  
Let me just start by saying the puzzles in this hold are of a high quality, especially when taking in mind this is HEROACE's first hold. I've played some rooms and will provide some short comments.

Entrance: Great mimic-maneuvering puzzle. Not too hard, not too easy. Like the fact you need to be careful with killing the brains.

1E: Nice puzzle.

2E: Tricky wubba maneuvering. I just lured them all over to the lower-left chamber. Got the tar mother about 45 turns before spawning an unkillable baby.

1N: I slipped past the golems and killed the one up right, and then killed the golems on the plates, while leaving the bottom-left one for last.

More comments later.

EDIT: 2N: I just killed all but one wraithwing on the starting passage, and maneuvered the last one against the green door so I could kill it.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 03-25-2009 07:12 PM]
03-25-2009 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
HEROACE
Thanks, but ya for 2E the tar timer isn't supposed to be an actual issue, it's just there so you can't just let the tar overflow and kill the trapped goblins.

I think 1N 1E is the hardest of the level, as I wrote in the hold I might make it optional...

1S is also pretty tough.

03-25-2009 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
HEROACE wrote:
1S is also pretty tough.

Right, it's indeed tough(although I found 2S tougher). :) By the way, what was the intended solution: be fast enough to kill all roaches and step in safe spot(before bomb blows up) or leaving some roaches unkilled and running in safe spot? Both solutions are possible. And also, if you want to make the room a little tougher, the fuse there can be shortened a little. And a last thing: I think at least one checkpoint there would be nice(say, one in safe spot).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-25-2009 07:53 PM]
03-25-2009 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
HEROACE

File: A Kangaroos Dungeon v1 01.hold (7 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
The intended solution to 1S was to kill some roaches then run to the safe spot, you actually killed all the roaches and did it? :thumbsup nice, didn't think it was possible. Anyway I fixed an unintended solution to 2N and put a checkpoint on the trapdoor of 1S so if you've already downloaded it you really don't need the newer one.

03-25-2009 at 08:01 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
HEROACE wrote:
The intended solution to 1S was to kill some roaches then run to the safe spot, you actually killed all the roaches and did it?

Yes, and arrived at safe stop two turns before bomb exploded.

I've played through other rooms now...

I like 1E. Nice idea, and not easy(but not hard either :P). So far it's my favourite room. 2E was tougher, especially wubba part, but it was nice anyway. 2S was quite evil(in a good way) and required a good deal of effeciency(reaching tar mother before second spawn...) I like effeciency puzzles a lot.

1N was pretty easy, but good room. It was clear what to do, and this isn't bad at all. 2N, unfortunately, seems the weakest room in this level. :(

Entrance is very good room, too. And 1N 1E seems really tough. :-O
03-25-2009 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
By the way, you could (and should) update the attachment in the first post. Just remove the attachment and upload a new one.

Although lately there's been reports that some people can't remove attachments (they just get a blank window). If that happens to you, I would say upload it in a new post (what you did), but edit the first post with a link to new post.

(You can copy a post's direct URL by right clicking the paper icon in the upper left corner.)

03-25-2009 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HEROACE
2N, unfortunately, seems the weakest room in this level.

Perhaps, I'll probably still keep it in unless I get a whole bunch of ideas for rooms but thanks for the comments. I guess I'm the only one who isn't good with wraithwings and trapdoors :P

03-25-2009 at 11:45 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've played through this as well. These puzzles seem mostly JtRH-ish with a sprinkling of TCB elements on top. It's a nice start.

Entrance - I haven't done a tight manipulation puzzle like this for quite a while, although there are many like it. It works fine.

1E - I've always liked playing this trick on goblins. It's good that the player needs to move around the room to solve it, from the west entrance - makes for an interesting solution. However, it has a trivial solution if you run across without solving and re-enter from the east. You can just stand in the one non-oremites square with sword west and wait 20 turns while the goblins kill themselves on the hot tiles.

2E - Certainly doable, but not my favorite. The various sections of the room didn't mesh together well from my point of view.

1S - It was fun dodging the wubbas and roaches and avoiding the bombs in the race to the safe spot.

1N - I enjoyed the golem manipulation.

1N1E - This room has a trivial solution. Drop the mimic on the fuse (on regular floor in the south of the room) the turn after the briar cuts it.

2N - An okay room, I did it the way everyone else did.

2S - I have a question about this room. At the end, how do you get the roach out of the maze on the east side of the room? I've got the doors at (33,25) and (30,26) open, and I can lure the roach pretty much anywhere except for out! Unfortunately, the brain doesn't help, because it considers force arrows to be obstacles.
03-26-2009 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
2S - I have a question about this room. At the end, how do you get the roach out of the maze on the east side of the room? I've got the doors at (33,25) and (30,26) open, and I can lure the roach pretty much anywhere except for out! Unfortunately, the brain doesn't help, because it considers force arrows to be obstacles.
I've been wondering this too, I can't seem to do it. Is this possibly a misunderstanding of brain influence from HEROACE's side?
03-26-2009 at 01:51 PM
HEROACE

File: A Kangaroos Dungeon v1 02.hold (6.9 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
icon Re: A Kangaroo's Dungeon (+2)  
Oh ya, I see the problem in 2S, fixed. :facepalm:
Solved the trivial solutions in 1N1E and 1E.

Odd that you say my puzzles seem like JtRH since I've never played the game though ;)

New version here and at the top.

03-26-2009 at 03:42 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've completed the first level now, and the stairs there ended the hold.

2S - Now this is possible, thanks.

1E - Now I can't get to the eastern entrance to "cheat".

1N1E - Now I can't drop the mimic on the cut fuse, so I solved it the "hard" way. At first, I thought I might have to avoid dropping trapdoors so that the briar behind the mimic would grow fast enough to push it along. But it turns out, that wasn't a concern. The mimic left the first briar far behind after hitting the second orb.
03-27-2009 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I didn't really find 1N1E that hard. I had around 16 moves to spare. It's an OK room. Quite enjoyable.

Edit: Done with the first level. Overall I found the hold quite enjoyable. I liked 1N the most :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-28-2009 01:09 PM]
03-28-2009 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Meow? :unsure

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-14-2009 05:51 PM]
04-14-2009 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Kangaroo's Dungeon (my first hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com