Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Kingdom of Loathing (An Adventurer is You!)
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Kingdom of Loathing (0)  
Day 2 for me: Zmann the Level 3 Sauceorer. This game is great.

I had read the post about the seal tooth, but I made the exact same mistake :blush .

Fun fun fun.
04-22-2004 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
Silly question:
How do you get a familiar?
I've bought a Familiar-Gro Terrarium.

On a side note, one of my friends created an account today.
He's called Chojun, and he's a Disco Bandit.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-22-2004 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Nillo wrote:
How do you get a familiar?

After you've "used" you're terrarium, you have to aquire something to put into the terrarium, (mosquito larva, cocoa egg, grue egg, blood-faced volleyball, leprechaun hatchling, ~and many others~).

Once it's in the terrarium, it will hatch, or otherwise be born, and you can name it and take it with you. Mosquito was the first one I came across, though I think the blood-faced volleyball is the most common.

[Edited by ClaytonW on 04-23-2004 at 06:50 AM GMT]
04-22-2004 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
http://www.agesoftime.com/kol/
http://www.freewebs.com/thekingdomofloathing/index.htm
two very spoilery sites about KoL
the first one is pretty much a list of all the items and ways to mix them and the second one claims to be everything you'd need about kingdom of loathing and more

04-22-2004 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Guild of Smitemasters, Hurrah!

I'm plotting to be joker5, but unfortunately my confirmation email has yet to arrive. Darnit, give me my awesome accordion theif powers!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-24-2004 at 01:58 AM
ClaytonW
Smitemaster's Guild: Created!

Go to the Seaside Town, and click on the Clan District. Scroll to the bottom and in the drop-down box, select Smitemaster's Guild, and apply now!

You must wait for my approval (which will occur as soon as I sign on next).

For now, I'd like to keep only DROD-related people in the clan (no outsiders), so please send me a message (Kaonis, #27275), before, or just after you apply, so I know that you're a DROD-ie.

Keep in mind that this clan will be destroyed when KoL resets in a few weeks, and any clan donations (in the form of meat or items) will be lost anyway. You may wish to keep the meat and items for yourself, unless you're sure you don't need them. (Raise 50,000 meat and we can buy a meat tree, capable of giving free meat to each clan member daily!)

I'm just beginning to learn what these clans are capable of, so bear with me as I manage it. It's all a bit confusing. :)
04-24-2004 at 06:34 AM
Drizzo
icon Re: The Kingdom of Loathing (+1)  
I donated a buncha stuff to the clan coffers, including 50 beers and a lot of meat... please be responsible and take no more than you need, and donate what you can.
I also donated 3 sonar-in-a-biscuits
Click here to view the secret text
and a seal tooth, please return after use. Also donated a lot of cooking ingredients, since I don't have an over or any cooking knowledge yet.
Glory to the Smitemasters!

04-24-2004 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
This game is great. I'm Luine, a level 3 Turtle Tamer. Last night I won a bunch of meat for answering some questions on the chat. Today I ate some delicious mushroom pizza
and some ghuol guolash
. Did I mention this game is great! :thumbsup

Now to join the Smitemaster's Guild!

04-24-2004 at 10:11 AM
gds
Rank Points: 50
I applied for the clan.

In the meantime, as I had been invited, I joined another clan (Turtle ninja). There are lots of benefit to belonging to a clan:
- You get free adventures.
- If it has a meat tree, you get 500 meat at the start of the day.
- If it has a gym, you can raise your stats fairly cheaply.
- You can get better items through the clan hoard (as long as you replace it with something).

Once I'm in, I intend to put a bugbear outfit in the hoard, if it's not already there.

A few notes about the chat system if you haven't already found out:
There are three channels: newbie, normal, trade. Most of the action happens in newbie (default channel). While in a channel, you can listen to other channels by typing /listen channel, or you can switch channel by typing /channel channel. There's a guy in the newbie channel called klix who runs a trivia quizz regularly. You get free meat if you answer correctly (I got 500 and schik got loads). I also ran into a film quizz in the normal channel but at the end of it so I don't know if there's anything to win.
You can add people to your contact list by typing /friend name. You'll then be told whenever they log on or off and their name appear in blue in the chat list (type /who). I've added all the people who have mentioned their name in this thread to my contact list.
04-24-2004 at 10:50 AM
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
Ooh, this is the best (and first, and only) MMORPG I've played as of now, and it's SOOOOO addictive :thumbsup !!!!! My character is The Dork Cheese, and here are his stats:

The Dork Cheese (#43790)
Level 2
Yeast Scholar
Statistics:
Current Hit Points: 4
Maximum Hit Points: 7
Current Mana Points: 4
Maximum Mana Points: 6
Muscle: 5
(6/11)
Mysticality: 6
(9/13)
Moxie: 7
(2/15)
Meat: 160
Equipment:
Hat: chef's hat (Power: 40)
Weapon: Knob Goblin tongs (Power: 20)
Pants: Bugbear Bungguard (Power: 30)
Accessory: continuum transfunctioner
Skills:
Manicotti Meditation
Accomplishments:
You have completed your training with the Toot Oriole.

Someone should post the link to this game (or this thread) in my "Do You Like RPGs" thread (I'm too lazy to do it, I guess) :D

EDIT: I posted the link to this game in my RPGs thread, but I dunno why anyone should care, 'cuz this thread is so much better for this game...

[Edited by SKWERLL on 04-24-2004 at 09:39 PM GMT]

The best hold in the world!
04-24-2004 at 10:27 PM
bovis
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
This game is amazing.
I'm Gurthak, a level 3 Seal Clubber :twak

Everything about this game is fun

These are my stats:

Gurthak ( #41848 )
Current Hit Points: 10
Maximum Hit Points: 12

Current Muscularity Points: 3
Maximum Muscularity Points: 4

Muscle: 11
Mysticality: 6
Moxie: 11
Adventures remaining: 0
Meat: 480

Equipment:

Hat: Oriole-feather headdress (Power: 15)
Weapon: Dr. Hobo's scalpel (Power: 40)
Pants: Knob Goblin pants (Power: 25)

Effects:

Bloody Hand (3)

Skills:

Seal Clubbing Frenzy

Current Familiar:

Trot, the 1 pound Mosquito (0 kills)

Accomplishments:

You have found Dr. Hobo Jones's treasure.

As you can see, I have lost all of my adventures, which means i'm going to have to wait, this makes me very angry. :throw

[Edited by bovis on 04-24-2004 at 10:26 PM GMT]

[Edited by bovis on 04-24-2004 at 10:29 PM GMT]
04-24-2004 at 11:25 PM
SKWERLL
I know it sucks when you run out of adventures >:( >:( >:( :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad:

[Edited by SKWERLL on 04-24-2004 at 10:57 PM GMT]

04-24-2004 at 11:55 PM
ClaytonW
WOWSER! There were quite a few of you who wanted to join! Forget what I said about only DROD people, I'll take anyone. Meanwhile, I only popped in briefly, therefore, I just accepted every applicant, and gave them Legendary-er Smitemaster status. When I log in again tonight, I'll adjust ratings. Please don't feel offended if I lower you. I'm still getting the hang of this.
04-25-2004 at 02:15 AM
gds
Clayton, be very careful about accepting anybody. In the clan I was in previously, somebody they had just accepted raided the whole hoard in less than 5 minutes. That was not pretty and once it's done there's nothing you can do about it.
04-25-2004 at 08:03 AM
Drizzo
I think that's what the karma is there for, although I wouldn't know since I'm exempt from those rules. That being said, I hope the clan stash doesn't get raided horribly... I drop just about every thing I can in there and take what I need... oh, anyway, tomorrow, Lady Stabby's gonna try and buy herself a meat tenderizer, so if you need anything meatsmithed, just leave a message here or on the clan board, and I'll glady smith it up. Sticky Pants are awesome, power 45 +3 Moxie... I created an accordion thief today cuz I was bored and happened to find a buncha spider webs, and found someone to smith that up for me... I was very pleased indeed. DrRubenstein is stylin'.

04-25-2004 at 09:29 AM
gds
Drizzo wrote:
I think that's what the karma is there for
This is what happened: the chap (Flamez something with number) joined the clan with a level 3 character with not much meat and items. As he didn't have much to improve his karma, the leaders of the clan weren't worried. He then transferred lots of meat from another character (15k+) and used that to improve his karma. He then proceeded to rob the whole hoard (which was very impressive) until he was booted out.

In our case, it wouldn't hurt to have more moeny in our coffers but not at the expense of the hoard. In their case, they already had so much money that it was worthless to them.
04-25-2004 at 10:57 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Oh man... in the absence of DROD, we've come so far in this game. I just hit level 11 today.

05-13-2004 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I know, I already grew bored with the game and quit. I guess I just don't like games that hamstring you if you aren't willing to cheat and find out all the recipes and skip all the battles to get items. Although it was funny as hell.

On the other hand, I know at least I don't need to go sign up for the Everquest 2 beta (not that they'd take me, stupid US/Canada only crap).

Matt

05-13-2004 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
In the forum's absence I decided to try KoL out, and it's really innovative. I'm on there, in the SG clan as Timid. I'm up to level 6 and haven't cheated on any quests, etc. Except for asking someone how to do something when I was stuck. No secret-mongering. I hope that all those super-powerful people earned an honest living. I'll be disappointed if it all does just boil down to a cheat-fest. (Didn't the admin say that a lot of quest stuff would be rearranged when the reset comes? That would even some knowledge-based things out, at least for a while.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-14-2004 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Regarding cheating...

I guess I don't understand how a person could ever learn how to make items without an unreasonable amount of trial and error or question-asking. And there are many things that I wouldn't know what they were for unless I read cheat guides. Still have no idea what a Turtle's Blessing does.

I've been simply dumping all my booty into the clan stash, because I don't know what to do with any of it.

-Erik

05-14-2004 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Heh...MMORPG information is always quite abundant. In most other games, it quickly becomes apparent who has learned how to play the game from reading strategy guide sites, from simple trial and error and experience, or neither. In KoL, there's not that much interaction with other players, except for the chat room and PvP (neither of which I generally participate in). So unless you enjoy randomly clicking to kill things and get their stuff, you probably won't enjoy the game much.

As to whether it's cheating...well, I'd say that it's just a different play style. You can do everything yourself, and get enjoyment that way. One might even call this actually "role-playing" within the game. You can find out all the answers, and get enjoyment from just being the best the fastest. Or you can find a happy medium between the two.

I enjoy pushing the envelope in KoL...finding the absolute hardest place I can actually intelligently survive at my current level. Since monsters don't seem to get critical hits, I can usually find out whether a place is too hard or not within a few fights, and then I can survive there until I run out of mana (usually never with a Cocoabo), unless I push my luck too hard and neglect to heal myself.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-14-2004 at 02:42 AM
Drizzo
icon Re: The Kingdom of Loathing (+2)  
Well, there's actually quite a bit of cooperation necessary to truly excel at the game in the multi-player aspect. Many of the best food items can only be created by the cooperation of saucerors and pastamancers, and you'll do much better if you find a way to eat those. Many of the better weapons and armor require the cooperation of turtle tamers and seal clubbers. Getting buff spells cast upon you buy the various classes is almost necessary to being able to fight some of the later battles and still be able to advance at a decent rate.

As for the combination of the items, if you read the description, and think about it, most of the items make sense. There's clues all over the game. Now there's definitely some strange ones that make very little sense, and a lot of them it helps to know that the item exists to inspire your thought, but they give you more hints than you would expect. But still it is helpful to know how to make items, which is a lot of the reason why they give you the Untinker, who will take apart items for you.

Regardless, for those of you who find there is little character interaction, you are missing out on the most important aspects of the game. KoL has one of the best economies that I've seen, where if you listen to the chat you can find items that you can sell for a lot of meat to the richer players at any level. For example, the Razor Sharp Can Lids and Spider Webs can be sold for 500 each easily, which is far more than you can make from anything else at that level. Every character except disco bandits has a unique skill that is useful to others, and if you offer those abilities out, people will reward you for your services (well, Seal Clubbers' ability is not in high demand, good luck selling that) and the disco bandits find more items and meat than any of the other character classes naturally, which gives them a place as gatherers for some of the less blessed classes. But character interaction is highly important, especially making loyal contacts, in some ways more so that in a lot of MMORPGs where your interaction is often just walking nearby each other as you wade through hordes of enemies.

05-14-2004 at 12:49 PM
SKWERLL
The Dork Cheese NOW:

The Dork Cheese (#43790)
Level 8
Vermicelli Enchanter

Statistics:
Current Hit Points: 52
Maximum Hit Points: 54
Current Mana Points: 73
Maximum Mana Points: 76
Muscle:
38 (base: 32)
(25/65)Mysticality:
63 (base: 53)
(5/107)Moxie:
32 (base: 35)
(27/71)Tipsiness: 3 (a little drunk)
Adventures remaining: 8
Meat: 22828
Turns Played: 1470

Advancement:
You must gain 15 Mysticality to advance to level 9.

Equipment:
Hat: safarrri hat (Power: 70)
Weapon: pixel sword (Power: 60)
Pants: 1337 7r0uZ0RZ (Power: 90)
Accessory: infernal insoles
Accessory: Jarlsberg's Earring
Accessory: infernal insoles

Skills:
(click the skill name for a description)
Liver of Steel
Chronic Indigestion
Manicotti Meditation
Minor Ray of Something
Pastamastery

Current Familiar:
SKWERLL, the 20 pound Mosquito (407 kills)

Accomplishments:
You have found the Dolphin King's treasure.
You have found Dr. Hobo Jones's treasure.
You have slain the Boss Bat.
You have discovered the Hidden Temple.
You have built your own Bitchin' Meat Car.
You have planted a Beanstalk in the Nearby Plains.
You have taken care of the rat problem at the Typical Tavern.
You have cleansed the taint for the Deep Fat Friars.
You have found everything there is to find in the Strange Leaflet.
You have summoned the UB3r 31337 HaX0R.
You have helped the Baron Rof L'm Fao.

05-15-2004 at 03:58 AM
SKWERLL
if you get a 31337 scroll
then use it. Just use it.

EDIT: Pimonkey's 1337 translator: http://68.15.106.139/pi/leet.asp

[Edited by SKWERLL on 05-16-2004 at 02:34 AM GMT]

05-15-2004 at 08:57 PM
Astronaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
Ahoy folks.

I'm new around here, have been browsing the forum for a couple of days (yes, the hint section...L13 is a nightmare...), but never bothered to post until now.

Read about Kingdom of Loathing here, have been trying it out and enjoyed it. Hope you'll let me join the clan, Drizzo, although I'm not a regular of this forum (yet).

05-17-2004 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Drizzo will let almost anyone in, I shouldn't worry about that, as long as you don't do stupid things like steal all the clan goods. :)

And :hi to the forums!

"Oook!"
05-18-2004 at 10:13 AM
MartianInvader
Rank Points: 126
icon Re: The Kingdom of Loathing (+3)  
I've been playing this game for a little while now (Martian, level 5 disco bandit) and man is it ever ADDICTING. I'm always so sad when I use up my last couple adventures. I spend the rest of the day eagerly contemplating what I'll do when I get more adventures. I can't go into my kitchen anymore without suspiciously eyeing the tomatoes and asparagus. I took a final exam today and wrote a treatise on the possibilties of things to put on springs in boxes in place of the essay question. I no longer remember the correct spelling for Zmobie. Zombei. Whatever.

To help alleviate this obsession, I've been trying to duplicate my KOL adventures in real life. It hasn't been going too well. My roomates seemed a bit disturbed last night when I smashed their dinner to pieces with a flyswatter screaming "Weretaco! Weretaco!" I tried to turn our toilet plunger into a gnollish autoplunger but just ended up getting mashed-up ground beef all over the bathroom. The only real success I've had was when I shook up a martini in an attempt to gain more adventures. Well, it didn't work for the first martini, and my memory gets a little hazy around the fifth or sixth, but I say if you wake up in a holding cell wondering where your pants got to you probably had an adventure the night before.

So, here's to the fun and addictive game of Kingdom of Loathing. See you all there! :thumbsup

05-18-2004 at 09:08 PM
SKWERLL
One of the parts I really hate is when you attack too many people in a 24-hour period. Then you can't attack jerks from clans who attack us, like the people who were the first people who attacked us, the [NAME REMOVED].
I made the clan's name removed for the sake of anyone here being in that clan.

05-19-2004 at 05:10 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
If I didn't promote it enough on the kol board, let me tell you again about the wonders of player versus player combat. It... is... good. If you use the search player function and make sure to only attack players with crummy records, you'll amlost always win. Just get things up at your campsite like a white picket fence or whatever. Just fill the place up.

And always steal dignity. It's like eating a key lime pie over and over again. Mmmm... pvp...

05-19-2004 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That's not how you spell 'pie'.

Matt

05-19-2004 at 02:11 PM
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Kingdom of Loathing (An Adventurer is You!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com