Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Anger and frustration at political media. (Yes. Politics. Forewarning y'all.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Anger and frustration at political media. (0)  
My positions: I am American. I am a liberal.

Just now, I saw an item on Yahoo's front page about the CIA destroying 12 tapes which had "harsh interrogation". There are so many things wrong with merely the headline that it boggles my mind that it isn't boggling more people's minds.

"CIA destroying": This is the Central Intelligence Agency. It makes sense for them to have any and all pertinent information on anything. Destroying anything that might remotely resemble intelligence is antithetical to the purpose of the agency. The only possible reason I could think for this to occur is if something tremendously terrible on these tapes. More on this later.

"12 tapes": While even 1 destroyed tape should never have been a viable option in the first place, this is likely an underestimate. There are stated to be a total of 92 tapes that have been destroyed. I would seriously doubt that 12 is the accurate number.

"harsh interrogation": This is what is really getting to me. This phrase is trying to spin torture. "Harsh interrogation techniques" and "enhanced interrogation techniques" are jargon words for war crimes. Torture. Waterboarding. People were put to death for committing these war crimes in the past. America has signed treaties saying that we would never do such a thing. It seems that everybody in America is trying to cover somebody's butt. Every time you see "harsh interrogation", you should read "torture". Every "enhanced interrogation" is a war crime.

Cheney has admitted to being aware of these things on tape--during an interview. Logic and law seems to dictate to me that there should be a prosecution. A trial. A criminal investigation. Some justice. The threat of terrorism, even an imminent terrorist attack, can not be an excuse for torture. I think that my nation had leaders who were aware of the crimes, perhaps even signed the papers that permitted field operatives to use the torture techniques, and are not being called to task as loudly and widely as they should be.

While I wish that the people currently in power would actually do something about this brazen disregard of the spirit and letter of so many treaties that America has signed, I wish even more that the media wouldn't acquiesce to the government officials who are using these phrases. Do not attempt to cushion the impact of what was done by using these inane phrases. Call it what it is. These "harsh interrogation techniques" are torture. They are war crimes. There should be prosecutions by somebody--national or international.

I remain unfortunately unaware of what I can actually do to further this discourse.

03-07-2009 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Anger and frustration at political media. (-1)  
So, uh, after years of proudly avoiding having any politics threads on this forum, can we please apply harsh interrogation techniques to the people who post them?

Because you know, this is one forum I always counted on as a bastion of escapism where people come to talk about goblins. Thanks for poisoning the well, zex old buddy.

03-07-2009 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Anger and frustration at political media. (-1)  
You didn't read the Yes. "Politics. Forewarning y'all." thing did you?
03-07-2009 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Anger and frustration at political media. (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
You didn't read the Yes. "Politics. Forewarning y'all." thing did you?
So putting a "Gory Violence. Forewarning y'all." in front of a splatter story would make it suddenly appropriate here? :huh

np: Subway - Satellites (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2006-2007 (Disc 1))

03-07-2009 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: Anger and frustration at political media. (+1)  
As far as I'm concerned, the ethical issue addressed in zex's post is more important than the post's politics. No matter what someone's political views are, I see absolutely no excuse for making what are essentially war crimes sound like they are not as bad as they really are. I fully agree with zex on this issue.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

03-09-2009 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Anger and frustration at political media. (+1)  
Waterboarding: The act of pretending to drown somebody.

Right up there with the thumbscrew and the rack.
03-09-2009 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Banjooie wrote:
Waterboarding: The act of pretending to drown somebody.

Right up there with the thumbscrew and the rack.

Or making someone listen to Iron Maiden.

(Not trying to trivialise anything, I agree with the OP; just couldn't pass up the pun :))

03-12-2009 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I agree with what you said here, except I think that it carries to other types of media control in every facet. For instance, if you ever hear a negative or positive word in the headline you know what slant they are giving to the story. Readily apparent in topics about "Green" anything.

I wish that man would stay away
03-16-2009 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
All (party) politics aside, the CIA pretty much was created to take extra-legal (or sometimes just plain stupid) actions and then cover them up badly. It's been that way throughout the course of its existence, largely because of a permanent tension between people in the CIA that want to deal with intelligence, and the folks who want to organize coups, play with gadgets and pretend they're secret agents with little training for the job. Legacy of Ashes is a quite well researched history of all this that sticks with actual documentation and interviews instead of veering into speculation or conspiracy theory. It basically shows the CIA has been dysfunctional since even before its inception, and stayed that way. (For instance, before the CIA even existed, some of the eventual founders were plotting how to win WW2 by capturing thousands of bats, strapping explosives to them, and releasing them from planes over Tokyo, where they would presumably fly to the first dark place they could find and then explode.)

EDIT: Basically what I'm getting at is this is unsuprising and typical of the CIA, and not a symptom of some new corruption of the agency under Bush. Doesn't make it any less low, but it really is what they usually do.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 03-19-2009 06:33 AM]
03-19-2009 at 06:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Anger and frustration at political media. (Yes. Politics. Forewarning y'all.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com