Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote on I Ching Entries! (How do you rate the first entry?)
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How do you rate the first entry?
1 PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 5 38.46%
4 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
5 PollPollPoll 4 30.77%

How do you rate the second entry?
1 PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
2 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
3 PollPollPoll 6 46.15%
4 PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
5 PollPollPoll 2 15.38%

How do you rate the third entry?
1 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
3 PollPollPoll 2 15.38%
4 PollPollPoll 4 30.77%
5 PollPollPoll 4 30.77%

How do you rate the fourth entry?
1 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 4 30.77%
4 PollPollPoll 5 38.46%
5 PollPollPoll 4 30.77%

How do you rate the fifth entry?
1 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
3 PollPollPoll 2 15.38%
4 PollPollPoll 5 38.46%
5 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%

How do you rate the sixth entry?
1 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
3 PollPollPoll 6 46.15%
4 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
5 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%

How do you rate the seventh entry?
1 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 2 15.38%
4 PollPollPoll 8 61.54%
5 PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
Total Votes 16 100%
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (0)  
So...any hints? I've tried getting to the orbs about 50 times and can't do it. :huh

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-21-2004 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
Hmm. How about this?
Click here to view the secret text

05-21-2004 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Hopefully this is a silly question, but before the poll closes, have all the hold authors voted?

05-21-2004 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I have. Don't know about the others, but I would guess that they have, too. Nobody wants to miss a chance for 5 free points. ;)

05-21-2004 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Is there a way to check if I voted? I can't remember if I voted, or if I just chose to view the results. I think I did the latter. I only downloaded one of the holds, which was the one with the same reading as mine.
05-22-2004 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you choose to view the results, you permanently lose the ability to vote.

05-22-2004 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (+1)  
The poll closed and here are the final scores for each entry:

Hold 1 - Average 3.6923076923077
Hold 2 - Average 3
Hold 3 - Average 3.6923076923077
Hold 4 - Average 4
Hold 5 - Average 3.6153846153846
Hold 6 - Average 3.6153846153846
Hold 7 - Average 4.0769230769231

How are these arrived at? For each entry, sum up the votes multiplying the count times it's rating value. Then divide by the number of votes cast (always 13). For example, on the first entry:

( (1 x 1) + (2 x 0) + (3 x 5) + (4 x 3) + (5 x 4) ) / 13 =
( 1 + 0 + 15 + 12 + 20 ) / 13 =
48 / 13 = 

You can double-check the calcs, if you like, but in this case they were all performed by computational devices provided by the elegant and graceful Matt Schikore. So from the above results, we get some final results:

1st place - Watcher for Hold #7.
2nd place - ClaytonW for Hold #4.
3rd place - A tie between DiMono and Agaricus for holds #1 and #3, respectively.

It should be noted that holds 5 and 6 could have made 3rd place with just one more positive vote. And hold 2, although technically the least favorite with a "3" average rating, was judged positively (remember that our rating system is skewed with a neutral rating at 2). A few people commented that all of the holds were enjoyable to play, so I think everyone who entered has cause to be proud. Well, let's not say "proud". Self-satisfied, maybe. And I definitely won't go so far as to say that everyone was a winner, because in truth, only four people were:

Watcher, e-mail erikh at caravelgames dot net and say which item from The DROD Store you would like to receive along with the address to which I should ship. You'll also receive 100 rank points. Congratulations! I'll be watching to see what other holds you might come up with. And that answers the question of who watches the watcher, for the people who were wondering.

Clayton, you get 50 rank points. Don't be too upset that you didn't get first place. I know that you're used to winning these contests, but there is a time to be gracious and humble. Stop with the lip-quivering, already!

DiMono and Agaricus, I thought about spliting the 25 rank points between you, but that would make it so Schik has to write new code to allow awarding non-whole number (12.5) rank points, and he's tired of me ordering him around. Besides, I don't want to be the Jack Benny of rank points. I can just be generous and give you both 25 rank points. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

-Erik

05-22-2004 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (+101)  
WOOHOO! :w00t :hooray (insert ridiculous amount of cheering and happiness here)

Congrats to Clayton, DiMono and Agaricus for the 2nd and 3rd places.

Since the contest is now over, here's some observations from the voting process:

After nine votes cast, there was a three-way tie at the top between Agaricus, Clayton and me. With the next votes, Agaricus and I fell behind Clayton, but it was still really close.

After eleven votes cast, I was the only person who had received only two different ratings (3 and 4, plus my own 5). The twelfth and thirteenth votes were 5's, though, putting me barely ahead of Clayton. Here at the end, Clayton and I are the only ones who have received only three different ratings (3, 4, and 5), everyone else have 4 or 5 different.

Joker probably lost quite a few points due to people falling into his traps and not finding the correct exit, therefore assuming that he hadn't set the stairs properly. That happened to me, and by the time I figured out the hold, I couldn't change my vote. Sorry Joker! It was also quite interesting how the last half of the votes he got were much higher than the first half.

Clayton and I had the same reading, but our interpretations were completely different. Beautiful example of just how many possibilities there are for a reading.

05-22-2004 at 10:00 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (+25)  
Cool!

I was really expecting the annoying fourth place, especially when I last looked a few days ago.

I didn't expect that I'd get third place at all.

Well done to Watcher, whose win, I think, is deserved (Look at exactly how many consistent 4s the hold got), Clayton for coming second, although I still think that perseverance room is a bit excessive still, and Dimono for tying with me near the end of the voting.

Personally, I believe the missing mimic potion (which I'm still suspicious about, for another also disappeared in my own hold yesterday) was the major factor that brought my hold down. I've got it fixed now, but I'll just check now to make sure (I don't want sub-conscious mimic potion deletion to strike again), and it's ready for donation to the I Ching Collaborative Hold if this project goes ahead.

05-22-2004 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (+26)  
Cool, thank you for 25 rank points. As a demonstration of just how close this contest was, and just how evenly matched the holds were, if you change that 1 in my voting to a 5 I beelieve I come in first place.

Huge congratulations to Watcher, whose hold was really really good and I think deserved the win.

Props to Clayton, whose patience room inspired something in my next hold that'll be cool.

And huge respect to everyone else who entered a hold. The seven of us all know how difficult it was to create a hold based on something someone else wrote, and I know we all became better hold authors from this contest.

So Erik, are you going to gather the holds in a single I Ching hold and release it to to the Holds forum?

05-22-2004 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Congratulations all! All the holds were very good - I tried to spread my votes along the 1-5 range, but if this weren't a contest I would have ranked them all 4 or 5.

05-22-2004 at 11:39 PM
ErikH2000
Clayton, man, you gotta give an acceptance speech here so I can use your post for attaching fifty rank points! Just say something like "I could not have done it without the help of the Underpants Gnomes."

-Erik

05-23-2004 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Clayton, man, you gotta give an acceptance speech here so I can use your post for attaching fifty rank points! Just say something like "I could not have done it without the help of the Underpants Gnomes."

-Erik
I've got to say...

Having a post modded +26 is disconcertingly nice in the "View my Moderated Posts" page.

Thank you, Erik!

05-23-2004 at 12:41 AM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
So Erik, are you going to gather the holds in a single I Ching hold and release it to to the Holds forum?
Yeah, but...

I might not do it in a big hurry seeing as I said I was going to finish some JtRH work this weekend. Now if anybody else feels like putting it together, I wouldn't complain a terrible amount. :)

-Erik

05-23-2004 at 12:43 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Aw, man. Now I'd have to spend 103 mod points to boost Watcher's post. There's the principle of congratulating the winner, and then again some things are just not worth it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-23-2004 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
While that's cool, umm, Erik...

There's an option in the admin pages...

Matt

05-23-2004 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
While that's cool, umm, Erik...
Damright, it's cool. Two hundred page refreshes is nothing to me!

-Erik

05-23-2004 at 04:12 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Vote on I Ching Entries! (+51)  
ErikH2000 wrote:

I LOST BY .0769230769231?! :angry :)

Thanks everyone for the praise, and the rank points. Sorry about the Perseverance room. :devil

What's the next contest, huh? huh?

05-23-2004 at 04:51 AM
DiMono
I'd do it if I had editing rights on all seven holds. I need editing for Simon's and Jonno's holds, and I'd have it done in a day.

05-23-2004 at 09:09 AM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90

File: ReturnEdit.hold (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Other
This one should be editable now.
05-23-2004 at 04:31 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
I'd do it if I had editing rights on all seven holds. I need editing for Simon's and Jonno's holds, and I'd have it done in a day.
Jonno? I don't see a "Jonno". Which hold is that?

-Erik

05-23-2004 at 05:47 PM
agaricus5
I think it's joker5's one.

The "Holding Together" hold.

05-23-2004 at 11:21 PM
DiMono
Alright, is there a version of Agaricus' hold where the last room is defeatable? Unless I'm missing something, like a mimic potion and a green door, I don't see how to cut one of the tar sections to get to the trapdoors underneath, or how to escape the room after killing everything.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for an editable version of Joker's hold

05-25-2004 at 06:41 AM
agaricus5

File: I Ching Contest Hold2.hold (6.4 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
As mentioned above and previously, it is a missing mimic potion that is causing problems.

This should have the fix inside it.

05-25-2004 at 10:37 PM
DiMono
alright, ...I was about to talk about not being able to leave the room afterward, but then I realized how you're supposed to use the mimic... bravo!

Now I'm just waiting for an anyone-edit version of joker's hold, and I'll be set

05-26-2004 at 05:13 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
I think it's joker5's one.
I e-mailed Joker about it, but so far, no response back.

-Erik

05-27-2004 at 02:01 AM
DiMono
In lieu of joker5 returning to the forum, which he seems to not have done since they came back, I went through his hold and recreated it on my own, block for block, creature direction for creature direction. I even created a new user in my copy of DROD so it would have the same name under author. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this though, as he also hasn't given his permission for me to do this. As such, I have two questions:

Should I take the hold, which is now finished with my recreation, and upload it?

Does anyone know what the scroll in the roach queen area of the first room in joker's hold says?

06-03-2004 at 04:12 AM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Well, Joker5 is playing Kol (last login 1st of June), so I'll message him in game and direct him back to here.
06-03-2004 at 12:17 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Should I take the hold, which is now finished with my recreation, and upload it?
No, we should get Joker's permission first. I'll resend my earlier e-mail in case he missed it. Maybe he will answer on KoL too. If Joker doesn't reply back after a while, you could release without Joker's level and perhaps leave a scroll someplace saying why it isn't there.

-Erik

06-03-2004 at 05:11 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607

File: Holding Together.hold (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Sorry, I didn't notice this. Sure, you can use my hold. Here's the Anyone Edit... could have sworn it was at least Me and Conquerers...

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 06-06-2004 at 04:42 PM GMT]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
06-06-2004 at 04:48 PM
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote on I Ching Entries! (How do you rate the first entry?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com