Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crush (This obscure puzzler is high on ingenuity, but low on content.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon Crush (+2)  
I have insomnia. This disease, though occasionally annoying, is easily treated by taking Melatonin supplements daily.

Dr. Reuben has other ideas. He believes that Danny's insomnia is a disease of the mind, one that could be cured if only Danny's mind could be explored without filters.

Meet C.R.U.S.H, C.R.U.S.H. is a machine that allows Danny to explore his own mind with the added ability of simplifying his thoughts by flattening them.

A psychoanalytical character study does not make for great storytelling, but the puzzles are ingenious. As Danny you explore small representations of your mind with the goal of collecting enough marbles to open the exit and then get to that exit. Though Danny usually controls like a normal albeit clunky platformer hero, at any time he can flatten the world towards the direction he is facing, essentially making the world two dimensional. You'll usually use this power to reach far off platforms, but you can also crush enemies against walls and activate emblems, as well as use your crush for some trickier lynchpins.

Here's an example: in the final of the four themes, 1X2 buttons are introduced. Though usually they can only be activated by heavy objects such as barrels, by flattening it so only the smaller side is showing, it becomes light enough for Danny to press it on his own. Furthermore there are platforms so thin that Danny can only walk on them in 2D.

The puzzles are clever and quite satisfying to complete, some taking up to 30 minutes to complete. Despite this, the game is quite short. 100% completion is a good way to add a few more hours, but the experience is so brief that most players won't even get a handle on the basics by the time the game is finished. A level editor was reportedly almost finished, but was scrapped in favor of an earlier release.

Crush is really a game unlike any other, and any puzzle fan with a PSP is advised to check it out, but may want to wait for Crush 2, all but confirmed for the Wii, DS and PSP which will undoubtedly include the editor the game desperately needs.

01-25-2009 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Re: Crush (+1)  
I enjoy your reviews, but I always feel that you should include a link to the game's website (for indie games), or its page on GameFAQs/GameSpot (for retail games).

If it is a game that is found on game store shelves, make its platform more prominently displayed.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-25-2009 07:23 PM]
01-25-2009 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crush (This obscure puzzler is high on ingenuity, but low on content.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com