Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Akella cover art for DROD: The City Beneath
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
IP: Logged
icon Re: Akella cover art for DROD: The City Beneath (+1)  
Someone Else wrote:
Actually, Mb is 1000 kb (which is 1000 bytes). This usage has become more common recently, because advertisers were wrong about what a megabyte was. Now, MiB and KiB are 1024 of the next smaller size, which is what Mb and kb originally were, and what they should be.

I was going to say the same thing Trickster did: lower-case "b" is "bit" and upper-case is "byte". And advertisers weren't "wrong" to use KB and MB, but they realized they could get larger numbers if they used MiB.

"Whoah, 1024 KiB? This thing has like, 24 thousand free bytes!"

06-28-2011 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Akella cover art for DROD: The City Beneath (0)  
Trickster wrote:
Briareos wrote:
@Trickster: you could see that image because your browser still had it in it's cache, but for everyone else it wouldn't load because the site you took your image from doesn't like random people from Teh Internet re-using their images... (try clearing your cache or force-reloading this page to see what I mean)
Nice catch. I'm not certain how I would have figured that out, though, apart from force-reloading after a post, then doing an edit to fix?
Force-reload after doing a preview should do the trick... :)

np: Dominik Eulberg - Vogelchor Und Dankesliste (Heimische Gefilde)

06-28-2011 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Akella cover art for DROD: The City Beneath (0)  
west.logan wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Actually, Mb is 1000 kb (which is 1000 bytes). This usage has become more common recently, because advertisers were wrong about what a megabyte was. Now, MiB and KiB are 1024 of the next smaller size, which is what Mb and kb originally were, and what they should be.

I was going to say the same thing Trickster did: lower-case "b" is "bit" and upper-case is "byte". And advertisers weren't "wrong" to use KB and MB, but they realized they could get larger numbers if they used MiB.

"Whoah, 1024 KiB? This thing has like, 24 thousand free bytes!"
Oh, right. Cases are so confusing. Anyway, advertisers use megabytes (now usually gigabytes) because then you get more of them, even though mebibytes and gibibytes make more sense from a computing standpoint.
06-29-2011 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Akella cover art for DROD: The City Beneath
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com