Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Scripts a la Kwakstur (So I don't hijack someone else's thread. Well, that's my excuse.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Scripts a la Kwakstur (0)  
Yes, it looks narcissistic for me to make a topic dedicated to my own scripts, but it's not like I have the attention span to make a real hold (so I have nothing to contribute in that aspect), and if I didn't make my own thread I'd have to hijack someone else's.

This is how I'm going to share my scripts, and that's that.

Here's how this works. I'm going to make a post about one of my scripted elements and attatch a .zip folder containing an RPG hold and any media for the element (images, sound FX, etc.). The hold will showcase many of the features of the element as well as what you have to do to get it to work in your hold. Completing the hold will unlock the editor so that you can copy their code for use in your own holds.
Update Jan 3: I now include a description of each hold in my posts to let you know what to expect, since they vary in linearity and ingenuity.

As I make the holds, I notice plenty of undesirable behavior, and I polish the script a lot. Generally, it takes me one day to make the rough draft of the element's script, and then 3-8 more days to make the hold (or up to a month if I'm busy with something else). So, in general, expect a new element every 1-3 weeks.

Because of all the script polishing, I will most likely not take requests; I want all the scripts I post here to be at their best, and I may not feel as motivated to do so when answering requests. You can still try to request something, though; I could take a liking to your idea.

And with that, let's begin.

My works:
Impassards (Enmy/Tile)
Magnetic Fields (Tile)
Knife of Time (Weapon)
Ice Sickle (Abandoned and prematurely released)
Token Collection 1 (1 type made. I want to have 3.)
Bucket of Plenty (0%. A promising idea, but looks nasty to implement)

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-19-2009 06:26 PM]
12-29-2008 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur

File: Exp HP Script Impassard.drh (5 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Impassards (0)  
I really had trouble coming up with a name for them. I call them Impassards, but you will hear me say many times that you can change their name. Though you may not immediately see what makes them useful, I assure you that after playing the hold, you'll come up with several ways you could've used them to foolproof your own hold.

What do they do?
When you step off a tile with them, they will appear, restricting you from backtracking onto that tile until you move again.

What are they good for?
I think mostly for controlling room flow. As I exemplify in my hold, they are an easy way to for example enforce token usage and prevent pressure-plate abuse. As for puzzle potential? Low to moderate, at best.

What additional media do they have?
None. In fact, I just attatched a .drh, not a .zip.

What's the hold like?
A short, somewhat linear level that shows a few uses of Impassards.

Should I credit you?
Not really. These were very easy to make.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-03-2009 10:04 PM]
12-29-2008 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur

File: Mag Fields.zip (24.7 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
icon Magnetic Fields (+2)  
Here's something I enjoy. They are Magnetic Fields and Magnetic Field Tokens, and I think that they are very fun to use.
My hold for them is linear, but explains a lot.

What do they do?
When you step on them, your sword gets oriented in the direction they face. You can resist them, but the current penalty for doing so is quite harsh (the architect may want to make them more forgiving).
The Tokens rotate the fields.

What are they good for?
They have plenty of puzzle potential, and can also present decisions of the RPG variety.

What additional media do they have?
Images. Magnetic fields look like sets of rings, and their tokens look almost like radar. I will admit though that the fields are tough to see on some floors.

What's the hold like?
Very linear level that details their behavior in-depth. Lots of technical information is in a Notes to the Architect section after the main hold.

Should I credit you?
Yes, I would like to be credited if you use my script and/or my images, either in part or in whole. These took quite a bit of polishing.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-03-2009 10:05 PM]
12-29-2008 at 05:51 PM
Kwakstur

File: Knife of Time.zip (263.7 KB)
Downloaded 89 times.
icon Knife of Time (+1)  
I knew that my work would slow as soon as I posted something. But I finally got something out: The Knife of Time (weapon), which can enforce arrows. There's also Flowing Sands (enemy) that can restrict it.
The KoT isn't my coolest idea, but it was interesting to script, even after tossing aside some difficult behavior in favor of something I could actually get to work.

What does it do?
Use the Knife of Time when your sword is over an arrow to enforce it and protect it from rotation tokens.
Flowing Sands can be placed in a room to keep the knife from working. Destroy it to free the knife.

What are they good for?
Unfortunately, mostly just the Adventure game tradition of making some places inaccessable until the player finds a piece of equipment. It can be used for some strange puzzles (as seen in this hold), but they're tough to foolproof.

What additional media is included?
The image for the Knife is a modified version of an RPG sword I made a while ago.
Many different appearances for an enforced arrow are included.
The Flowing Sands is an animated hourglass.
Early in the hold I used a recording I made of a sink. I included it for completion's sake.
The hold uses Jutt's Sandstone RPG. I included a link to its topic so you can get it.

What's the hold like?
It actually has puzzles this time. Not great ones, but still, it's puzzly. And short.

Should I credit you?
Yes please. The script and images were both time-consuming.
The sound recording was less so, but I doubt you want to use it.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-19-2009 08:19 PM]
01-19-2009 at 01:26 AM
Kwakstur
icon Re: Scripts a la Kwakstur (+2)  
Hm? Okay then, some questions:

To anyone else: Is anybody else having this problem? I'm not (and I just downloaded it to test).

To Nuntar:
1. What OS do you have? Windows/Mac/Linux? Vista/XP/Leopard/OS X ##.#.#/Solaris/Unix/whaaaa?
2. Try restarting the computer, just in case this folder is currently open without your knowledge in some processes.
3. If you copy it, does the copy do the same? What about if you download it again?
4. Did you save it to a normal folder, a pen drive, a shared folder, or . . . ?
5. If you're running Windows on an old computer and this is a bad sector on the harddrive (which would render it undeletable), try scanning the disk. If scan disk automatically tries to run during startup, note that by default it isn't set to try to fix anything, so start it using this method instead.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-19-2009 11:50 PM]
01-19-2009 at 06:08 PM
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
icon Re: Scripts a la Kwakstur (0)  
How do you beat 1N?
08-05-2009 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Scripts a la Kwakstur (So I don't hijack someone else's thread. Well, that's my excuse.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com