Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Crash in Level Set Selection screen (With lots of assertion errors.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged

File: drodrpg.err (386.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Crash in Level Set Selection screen (+1)  
Using the newest version, with the fancy graphics. Loaded it up, went to select a level set, and is was playing a demo of a room in Fetch the Pie, the original Alpha I think. Then it just froze, playing a weird noise which is still going on now. (The alert message noise, but played so often that it sounds like clicking instead.) Checked the .err file and it's full of assertion errors, so I'd guess that might be related.

EDIT: OK, the noises have stopped. I think it was just Windows playing the sound for each assertion error. There are lots.

EDIT2: Thought I'd try it again, and yes, the same happened. And at the same point in the demo.

[Last edited by AtkinsSJ at 11-12-2008 11:50 PM]
11-12-2008 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Crash in Level Set Selection screen (0)  
Yeah, your computer beeps when DROD logs an error message to drod.err, so you know to look at it if that matters.
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Using the newest version, with the fancy graphics. Loaded it up, went to select a level set, and is was playing a demo of a room in Fetch the Pie, the original Alpha I think. Then it just froze, playing a weird noise which is still going on now.
I'd like to fix this. What do you mean by "it was playing a demo of a room"?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-23-2008 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
icon Re: Crash in Level Set Selection screen (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
I'd like to fix this. What do you mean by "it was playing a demo of a room"?
You know, the little preview window, where it plays out what you had done previously.

It's always the same place in that replay. I've just tried to screenshot it but it won't work. It's... Fetch the Pie (possibly not the latest version), First Interlude, 2 South, 2 East. I came from the lower right, and was 2 squares NE from an orb. At the time I was turning, as was a mimic. Perhaps I should send one of the dat files, as I can't really explain well. Which ones should I post?

(Sorry, I forgot I'd posted about this. *Enables notification*)

11-29-2008 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
What happens after the noise stops? Does DROD start moving again? Will the noise not stop until you close DROD? Or do you have to restart Windows?

I'm interested in seeing a screenshot. Is PrintScreen not working? If it really isn't, then, if you want to, you can try lowering DROD's priority in the Task Manager before it locks up. The game will run even slower, but the rest of the computer will go normal speed; you'll have an easier time capturing the screen with PrntScn/SysRq, you'll find it easier to Ctrl+Alt+Delete out of DROD, and it may reduce the amount of errors.

11-30-2008 at 12:07 AM
AtkinsSJ

File: DRODFreeze.png (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 163 times.
License: Other
Kwakstur wrote:
What happens after the noise stops? Does DROD start moving again? Will the noise not stop until you close DROD? Or do you have to restart Windows?
DROD freezes, consistently at the same point, until Windows closes it. I don't have to restart Windows. I'm using Vista, BTW.

I'm interested in seeing a screenshot. Is PrintScreen not working? If it really isn't, then, if you want to, you can try lowering DROD's priority in the Task Manager before it locks up. The game will run even slower, but the rest of the computer will go normal speed; you'll have an easier time capturing the screen with PrntScn/SysRq, you'll find it easier to Ctrl+Alt+Delete out of DROD, and it may reduce the amount of errors.
Print Screen fails to work, as when I try to paste the image there's nothing there. Print Screen works perfectly otherwise. I'll have a go at lowering its priority and seeing if that works.

EDIT: It worked! Thanks. I've attached the screenshot. It freezes exactly like this, every time.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by AtkinsSJ at 11-30-2008 02:11 PM]
11-30-2008 at 02:06 PM
mrimer
Thanks for the screenshot. Yes, please post your .dat files here (zipped however you like) or e-mail them to me. You'll need to attach all six .dat files (i.e. all except for drodrpg1_0.dat).

12-01-2008 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
I'll just note that that's an old copy of Fetch The Pie, created when Mimics were affected by Disarm Tokens. I'd guess that the new behavior has lead to a broken demo, which is now involving the Mimic striking one of the Serpents and leading to the player's death. And the freeze would be occurring due to incorrect handling of this situation.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 12-01-2008 07:58 PM]
12-01-2008 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
I'd imagine TFMurphy is probably correct, but here are the dat files anyway.

[thanks, got it, and removed attachment -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-03-2008 05:07 AM]
12-02-2008 at 06:19 PM
mrimer
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Using the newest version, with the fancy graphics. Loaded it up, went to select a level set, and is was playing a demo of a room in Fetch the Pie, the original Alpha I think. Then it just froze, playing a weird noise which is still going on now. (The alert message noise, but played so often that it sounds like clicking instead.) Checked the .err file and it's full of assertion errors, so I'd guess that might be related.
I've fixed this in the next patch so the replay will stop gracefully when encountering an invalid state.

01-19-2009 at 09:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Crash in Level Set Selection screen (With lots of assertion errors.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com