Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Queen eggs (Has this been thought of?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon Queen eggs (0)  
Pleeeeaaase don't hurt me if someone has said this before but what if there were something like, these roaches that laid eggs from which hatched queen roaches? (Or maybe just eggs lying around or something?.... Something to do with roach queen eggs anyway...)

04-05-2004 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: Queen eggs (0)  
I don't know if I want anything that can lay roach queen eggs... it would get too unmanagable too fast, and there's other ways to time more roach queens appearing if you absolutely must, but one roach queen layer could have you swamped under more roaches than you can handle in two spawn cycles easily...

04-05-2004 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
- but in small numbers, I think they could work quite well. How about a queen that simply produces things that run away from Beethro?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-05-2004 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
Hmmmm... That could work too I guess. :rolleyes
04-06-2004 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
- but in small numbers, I think they could work quite well. How about a queen that simply produces things that run away from Beethro?

This then doesn't add much because the monsters will run away from you and won't actually attack you or do anything. It may be useful for monster trapping or certain types of manipulation, but I don't think it provides enough puzzle potential to be implemented.

04-06-2004 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
Oh, whoops! Yeah it wouldn't do that much if they ran from you. Sorry, I read it wrong.

Having too many roaches coming at you wouldn't really be a problem. I mean, what kinda pycho makes a room where you start in the middle and every other space is roaches right? :D It could work if you control the number of them in a room and maybe perhaps have a higher spawn cycle...?
04-07-2004 at 05:10 AM
The_Red_Hawk
How about a queen that wakes when you step in its line of sight like an eye?

04-07-2004 at 05:27 PM
skinsmen
Hmmm. That's a pretty cool thought... But I still think it would be better that queens are produced. Maybe they wouldn't be produced as frequently or they will only go into the one space below the creature. You know what I mean?
Anyways. How would this other queen roach idea you speak of work?
04-11-2004 at 04:28 PM
The_Red_Hawk
When it sees Beethro, it will start acting as if it was a queen from the beginnning.

Maybe we could have a "Double Queen" that lays eggs in every other square, each one holding two roaches inside.

04-11-2004 at 09:50 PM
skinsmen
Hmmmmmm, how would it work if you simply avoided letting it see you and just snuck up on it?
2 roaches per egg would be strange. How would it be determined which 2 spaces they hatch to?
04-13-2004 at 06:09 AM
The_Red_Hawk
How about one where the egg is, and one just outwards? If there's no space, it simply doesn't appear. That might be good for some puzzles where you have to have a monster to block an extra egg appearing.

04-19-2004 at 05:32 PM
nem-z
Rank Points: 16
how about a golden 'grand-queen' that lays normal eggs unless there are no normal queens in the room, at which point it lays a single batch of queen eggs. Good for rooms with an incentive to leave a queen alive for a while, or as a multi-staged threat.
11-13-2004 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
These wouldn't really be much effective anyway. If the queen-egg layer also runs away from Beethro, and the queens it produces run away too, they will all just pile up in a corner and only one layer of queens would ever be crated anyway, and since those queens would all be piled up too, the whole thing would be creating about 5 roaches a spawn cycle, which can easily be done using normal queens too.

Edit: And the Golden queens would be just as bad. They would create a layer of queens around them which would block all the squares around it and, again, sit there doing nothing.

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:11-18-2004 at 12:10 PM]
11-18-2004 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nem-z
okay, so add a behavioral trait that the grandqueen stays away from the player as a second thought, with a primary movement goal to maximize the possible free squares around it. This way it would naturally stay at least a little bit away from the other queens and even be a more efficient producer of normal roaches when queens are still around.
11-19-2004 at 07:13 AM
Krishh
That wouldn't help all that much:
----+
RQQQ|
RQGQ|
RQQQ|
RRRR|

In that case it would create a square like that and get blocked by the quens.
11-19-2004 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nem-z
true...

okay, what if the grandqueen can force other roaches to trade spots with it if it would prefer to move and can't? perhaps chainge it so that it kills other roaches that gets in it's way... ruthless little critters.
11-19-2004 at 08:21 AM
Krishh
That wouldn't help because it wouldn't want to move away from the forementioned square with the movement options you set. (as far away from Beethro (a corner) while having 9 spaces around it)
11-19-2004 at 06:58 PM
nem-z
no, i said the first priority was to maximize possible free squares... an occupied square is hardly free.

the grandqueen would look for the most open spot in the room and make a beeline for it, only as a second thought looking for which of the total possible locations with an equal number of maximum free squares is farthest from the player at any one time.
11-20-2004 at 08:02 AM
Krishh
Oh. That would get more interesting, a monster like that would really create some interesting situations, although it could get quite complicated with more than a couple of them in a room.

11-20-2004 at 08:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Queen eggs (Has this been thought of?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com