Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Cludo's dungeon
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Cludo's dungeon (0)  
I will test once there is more material on the last level. Just so I know: Where am I supposed to get the inventory? I'm guessing at the start of level 3.
11-16-2008 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Blondbeard wrote:
I will test once there is more material on the last level. Just so I know: Where am I supposed to get the inventory? I'm guessing at the start of level 3.

To make it simplier, you get it on then first level.
11-16-2008 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
I found that building the hole is too hard for me(really, it's hard for me to make puzzles with strong player so far). So, should I through the fourth level away and leave three quite good and completed levels, or should I keep tryingf to do smth hard with the fourth level? :unsure

EDIT: Of course, if I'll delete the fourth level, the fegundo will be in the third level. Probably it'll be weaker than it is now.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 11-20-2008 01:52 PM]
11-20-2008 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
My advise is to make something for the forth level. Just use my stats as a refference. (Or a bit lower than that, if you think I'm too much of an optimiser:))

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-20-2008 02:11 PM]
11-20-2008 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
New version. The hold is probably completed. Changes made:

- fourth level completed;

- Cludo's ATK, DEF and HP a little lowered;

- Added score checkpoint after Cludo's defeat.

Please test it now. Once somebody writes here that he's completed the hold, I'll probably submit this. :look
11-20-2008 at 03:44 PM
mxvladi
Should I give you some hints or will you keep trying?
11-20-2008 at 04:32 PM
mxvladi
Okay, that's how I've solved first lvl(probably Blondbeard did it better, but this is a nice way, too):

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by mxvladi at 11-20-2008 04:58 PM : fixed awful mistake in nickname of Blondbeard]
11-20-2008 at 04:53 PM
Blondbeard
Alright. All done :) I think you should submit this, and sorry for missing that you had updated it! I beat Cludo with HP 1010, Atk 335, Def 230, Keys 19/12/0/0. As you can see there are many keys, but that don't make it less of a hold. It's all good from an optimizing perspective :) By the way: The hold is considerably easier now compared to last time I played it. I kind of like holds to be hard, but I think it wise to make it easier anyway, so that more people can enjoy it. Thanks for a nice hold!

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 12-01-2008 02:49 PM]
12-01-2008 at 02:47 PM
mxvladi
Thanks for the cooments. :D

Blondbeard wrote:
Alright. All done :) I think you should submit this, and sorry for missing that you had updated it!

Well, I submited this about a week ago, but

I beat Cludo with HP 1010, Atk 335, Def 230, Keys 19/12/0/0. As you can see there are many keys, but that don't make it less of a hold. It's all good from an optimizing perspective :)

You're great optimiser. I couldn't get so many keys. -_-
By the way: The hold is considerably easier now compared to last time I played it. I kind of like holds to be hard, but I think it wise to make it easier anyway, so that more people can enjoy it. Thanks for a nice hold!

Nuntar still can't solve it... :~( so, I don't think I did it much easier than it was.
12-01-2008 at 02:53 PM
Blondbeard
It IS easier ;) Trust me! Also: I don't find it harder than Nuntar's hold, so if you make hard RPG holds, so does he!
12-01-2008 at 03:02 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Cludo's dungeon (+1)  
I've gone through it myself now.

There are a number of things that should be mentioned, which may or may not be problems that you'd want to deal with.

First, you have two Score Checkpoints at the end of Floor one, each for a different roach. They have the same name - "Cludo's roach defeated" - so I *think* CaravelNet will treat them as the same Score Checkpoint. Either way, it's quite trivial to only kill one of these roaches, collect everything else in the room, and leave the 2nd roach until you've completed Floor three, and come back with a *massive* score.

Secondly, the addition of an Inventory makes the "Accessory Slot" traps on Floor two meaningless. You can simply stash your Grappling Hook in your inventory before you pass over the Accessory Slot, and then retrieve it afterwards. This allows the player to sidestep a few situations until they're a little stronger.

Thirdly, if you kill Cludo from directly to the west of him, then the cutscene freezes and you have to reset the room. While avoidable, this is a bad thing to have happen.

And finally, you might want to ask someone to proofread the English in this hold - it's perfectly understandable English, but there's a high number of grammatical errors and awkward phrases around. It certainly doesn't harm the hold's gameplay, but a little polish goes a long way.

===

Anyways, my end result for Cludo's Score Checkpoint was as follows:

12-03-2008 at 02:06 AM
mxvladi

File: Cludos dungeon.drh (22.6 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
TFMurphy wrote:
First, you have two Score Checkpoints at the end of Floor one, each for a different roach. They have the same name - "Cludo's roach defeated" - so I *think* CaravelNet will treat them as the same Score Checkpoint. Either way, it's quite trivial to only kill one of these roaches, collect everything else in the room, and leave the 2nd roach until you've completed Floor three, and come back with a *massive* score.

I've tried to fix that, but I can't... :~( any help with script, please? EDIT: Thanks, TFMurphy! :D

Secondly, the addition of an Inventory makes the "Accessory Slot" traps on Floor two meaningless. You can simply stash your Grappling Hook in your inventory before you pass over the Accessory Slot, and then retrieve it afterwards. This allows the player to sidestep a few situations until they're a little stronger.

I see no way to fix that, so I'll leave it in the hold.

Thirdly, if you kill Cludo from directly to the west of him, then the cutscene freezes and you have to reset the room. While avoidable, this is a bad thing to have happen.

Fixed(see attachment)

And finally, you might want to ask someone to proofread the English in this hold - it's perfectly understandable English, but there's a high number of grammatical errors and awkward phrases around. It certainly doesn't harm the hold's gameplay, but a little polish goes a long way.

Done(thanks a lot to Nuntar! :thumbsup )

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-04-2008 01:42 PM]
12-03-2008 at 06:18 PM
TFMurphy
mxvladi wrote:
I've tried to fix that, but I can't... :~( any help with script, please?

You really just need one script that checks for the existence of both monsters every turn, and keeps on looping so long as it finds both. The following should do the trick.

Label Loop
  If ... 
        Wait for entity NPC 5,10,5,10
     If ... 
           Wait for entity NPC 10,10,10,10
        Wait 0
        Go to Loop
     If End 
  If End 
  Score Checkpoint Cludo's roach defeated

Make sure you delete the other script so that only this one Checkpoint can fire.

EDIT: Apparently, DROD RPG treats custom monsters as NPCs rather than Monsters, so you need Wait for entity NPC instead. I've updated the script to reflect that.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 12-03-2008 06:58 PM]
12-03-2008 at 06:46 PM
TFMurphy
Nuntar wrote:
Did you know that Wait while Entity can take an area as its parameter rather than just an individual square?

Wait while entity is NPC at (5,10)-(10,10)
Score Checkpoint Cludo's roach defeated

should work fine.

While true, that requires that *both* monsters be killed. The goal in this room is to kill only one so that you can get the Blue Key. Killing both is optional.
12-03-2008 at 07:00 PM
mxvladi
Thanks a lot, TFMurphy! :thumbsup

New version is attached to the post where I put another version last time.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-04-2008 01:45 PM : grammar, damned grammar...]
12-04-2008 at 01:44 PM
Blondbeard
The hold might actually still need a bit of proofreading. :)
12-04-2008 at 03:00 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Cludo's dungeon
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com