Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Obscure games thread (Do you like obscure games?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Do you like obscure games?
Yup!
HELL no
Define "Obscure"
This poll doesn't make sense
It's obscure! I'm not supposed to know!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
IP: Logged
icon Obscure games thread (0)  
Just a really stupid thread where you can talk about obscure games.

The best hold in the world!
04-04-2004 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Obscure games thread (0)  
SKWERLL wrote:
Just a really stupid thread where you can talk about obscure games.
Obscure?

Such as...?

04-04-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Just so you know, I voted for the third and fourth options.

04-04-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Obscure, as in "Not that many people know about the game that you are talking about, ME INCLUDED*"

*it doesn't ALWAYS have to be like that, just not too many people know about it.

04-04-2004 at 12:55 AM
agaricus5
SKWERLL wrote:
Obscure, as in "Not that many people know about the game that you are talking about, ME INCLUDED*"

*it doesn't ALWAYS have to be like that, just not too many people know about it.
What does "not many people" mean?

And what about games that used to be popular, but are no longer anymore, for example, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2?

04-04-2004 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
My current quasi-obscure games that I am playing are The Lost Valley (check Underdogs), and Crystalis (NES rom) both action rpg games of sorts... LV is pretty good, although they swiped music and gfx from many other games, it's still quite a large and fun game in the vein of zelda sorta... Crystalis is absolutely awesome, and still holds up, although that could partially be because of my infatuation with that game as a child, this is VERY much in the vein of zelda, and is quite fast paced with cool abilities and a pretty decent plot.

That said LV:B-, Crystalis:A+

04-04-2004 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
agaricus5 wrote:
SKWERLL wrote:

What does "not many people" mean?

And what about games that used to be popular, but are no longer anymore, for example, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2?

"Not many people" means less than 1/3 of the gaming population knows about these games.

Yeah, once popular games count.

04-04-2004 at 05:59 AM
Drizzo
SKWERLL wrote:

"Not many people" means less than 1/3 of the gaming population knows about these games.

So basically every game except counterstrike, Diablo ][, Everquest, and the Sims?

04-04-2004 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
icon Re: Obscure games thread (+1)  
U FARGOT HAFLIVE!!!1111
04-04-2004 at 07:41 AM
Drizzo
I purposefully omitted halflife, since the popular gaming community seems to only be aware of halflife as counterstrike.

My point was that most every game that isn't on consoles is obscure, or becomes that way swiftly, given the lack of television advertising for pc games, and the niche market for so many things... Most gamers don't seem to be able to see beyond their Halo and their Madden 2004 and their Final Fantasy XIV... although you take the hardcore gamers, and they tend to be aware of 90% of what's out there it seems, due to their subscriptions to gaming magazines and whatnot, so perhaps you could take the games out of that 10%...

Or we could screw standards and just recommend games that people may not have heard of.
I'm always looking for new video game thrills that my computer can handle... unfortunately I don't have the processing power for much of the new stuff, but that's okay, a lot of the best doesn't take much...

For this post I recommend Pendulumania, which TRULY is obscure... it can be found on underdogs, right hereIt's an awesome coffee break type game that is highly addictive, and completely unique, with pretty intuitive mouse only control... I've gotten a score of 600 million or so, and I challenge you to beat it. (Shouldn't be too hard, I'm not that good with the mouse.)

[Edited by Drizzo on 04-04-2004 at 08:27 AM GMT: fixing my link]

[Edited by Drizzo on 04-04-2004 at 08:28 AM GMT]

04-04-2004 at 09:26 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Some good games I have that I think is pretty obscure:
Minebombers
Destruction I & II
Jetpack
WarHeads
Liquid War 5
Dilbert's Desktop Games
Darkstone
Bug Too!
Gravity Strike

If you knew of 5 or more of those before, you're pretty cool.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-04-2004 at 10:40 AM
SKWERLL
Drizzo wrote:
SKWERLL wrote:

So basically every game except counterstrike, Diablo ][, Everquest, and the Sims?
No, not every game except Counterstrike, Diablo ][, Everquest, and The Sims. Console games also are included in this poll (sorry if you didn't realize that). And also, less than 1/4 or 1/5 of the gaming population sounds more like obscure to me.

04-06-2004 at 05:56 PM
agaricus5
Oh, and what does the term "gaming population" mean?

Does this refer to everyone who plays/has played computer/console games in his life, or is this a specific type of gaming community we are talking about?

Don't forget, as Drizzo says, that most games, even console ones, tend to become "obsolete" over time because many people forget about them in time.

I own relatively few games, but one of the "obscure" ones I'd recommend checking out is called "Descent 3". It's a sort of action/shoot 'em up sort of game, set in the future, involving you, the pilot of a space ship, sent to destroy several tonnes of infected and dangerous robots with an arsenal of weapons including lasers, missiles, flamethrowers and large blobs of purple Hydrogen nuclei undergoing nuclear fusion :).

What makes this game different from many others like it is that you must control your ship's movement in all three dimensions at once, which is much more difficult than the usual two dimensions of many first-person shooters, especially when trying to blast attacking robots to pieces.

The game is a bit old, and there are a few unresolved bugs in it, but there is still a strong, although small, community of Descenters who still play the game and support it. This and more specific information about the game can be found here:

www.planetdescent.com/

The game itself is still being published by "Sold Out" software, so you will need to buy it from them as it is not abandonware.

04-06-2004 at 06:25 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Does DROD count as obscure? It's not as if the whole world knows about it.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-06-2004 at 06:55 PM
SKWERLL
"Gaming population" means the people who play computer/video games on a regular basis (at least once per week, but almost always more).
Yes, DROD is obscure, but if you're answering this poll to say that you like DROD, don't do it. Everyone on this forum should know about DROD.

04-06-2004 at 07:17 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Sorry to say this, but not only do we not know how large the gaming population is, but we also have no way to tell who knows about what game. Besides, Descent 3 came with my SBLive! Platinum, so it can't be that obscure.

04-06-2004 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
Sorry to say this, but not only do we not know how large the gaming population is, but we also have no way to tell who knows about what game. Besides, Descent 3 came with my SBLive! Platinum, so it can't be that obscure.

Exactly. Just because it may have come with your package doesn't mean it is or is not obscure - we have no way of telling what "the gaming population" is and plays, so we cannot really pass judgement on "obscurity" because it's too vague. However, I'd say Descent 3 is not well known because the company that marketed it, I think "Outrage Entertainment, Inc.", did a poor job of advertising it, so its sales were very low, and it didn't get much acclaim when it was released. This is why the game only has a small following at present, and the planned sequel, Descent 4, was cancelled.

04-06-2004 at 10:00 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Zmann luvs Moonbase Commander. Go to http://www.strategyplanet.com/mbc/ for the skinny.

Peace out.

04-07-2004 at 04:04 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I take it the popularity of Descent went downhill? ('scuse the pun.) The demo for the original, about 10 years ago, must have been on PC cover CD available.
04-07-2004 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
bandit1200 wrote:
I take it the popularity of Descent went downhill? ('scuse the pun.) The demo for the original, about 10 years ago, must have been on PC cover CD available.
I don't think Descent lost popularity as such - the most recent sequel just wasn't well advertised, so not enough people knew about it to be popular.

04-07-2004 at 12:53 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Well, Descent 3 came out what... 5 years ago? I can't think of any 5 year old games that are still the hot thing to talk about. There's plenty of 5 year old games that have a hardcore group of fans still playing them, but in general, the gaming community moves on to the latest and greatest.

04-07-2004 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Well, DROD is 7 years old, EverQuest is pretty old, and Diablo 2 and StarCraft both find heavy play, as does CounterStrike. Beyond that, I can't think of any games older than 5 years that are heavily played... maybe Riven, there's a pretty moderate community based around the Myst games.

04-07-2004 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
icon Re: Obscure games thread (+1)  
Gamers tend to talk about games a lot, which is one way to tell wether someone is a gamer or not. Also, you find out wether a game is obscure if:
1. The game is rarely talked about
2. It appears in a low amount of game mags (Game Informer, Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming monthly, etc.) or PC mags that review some games.
3. If you ask about the game to a lot of people, and mostly/always get an answer like "What the hell are you talking about?"
Also, agaricus5, no offense, but you've made your point about not knowing about the term "Gaming Population". If this answers your questions, good, but if not, please stop asking, and read through the rest of the posts CAREFULLY.
A once-popular game should probably not be classified as "Obscure" unless the game was out of popularity for a while (About 7-10 years)

04-11-2004 at 01:50 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Obscure games thread (Do you like obscure games?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com