Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Film Festival 2008 Poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Endings or Beginnings deserves...7.46666666666672.3907228102721
2Good Times Good Times deserves...72.1291625896895
2The Vats deserves...71.5916448515084
4Golems Play Wubbaball deserves...6.73333333333332.2647050335284
5A Builders Life deserves...5.73333333333332.7194770739162
6Evil Eye Safari deserves...5.66666666666671.2995725793079
7Tales of a Slayer deserves...4.93333333333331.8427033281447
Did you watch all the entires?
No! I just like clicking buttons. PollPollPoll 1 7.14%
Yes, of course! PollPollPoll 13 92.86%

Endings or Beginnings deserves...
Average Vote 7.4666666666667
Standard Deviation 2.3907228102721

The Vats deserves...
Average Vote 7
Standard Deviation 1.5916448515084

Good Times Good Times deserves...
Average Vote 7
Standard Deviation 2.1291625896895

Evil Eye Safari deserves...
Average Vote 5.6666666666667
Standard Deviation 1.2995725793079

A Builders Life deserves...
Average Vote 5.7333333333333
Standard Deviation 2.7194770739162

Tales of a Slayer deserves...
Average Vote 4.9333333333333
Standard Deviation 1.8427033281447

Golems Play Wubbaball deserves...
Average Vote 6.7333333333333
Standard Deviation 2.2647050335284
Total Votes 25 100%
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Film Festival 2008 Poll (+2)  
Right, so here's the poll.

When voting, aim to vote on the visual appeal/layout (did the settings appear approprate?), polish (how well was it scripted? Was there typo's in the speech? Was it well written?), presentation and entertainment value.

If you want to discuss the entries before the poll is over, remember to put it between these tags [unhidetime=10/31/2008 2:00 PM]Your hidden text.[/unhidetime] and not to prejudice those who haven't voted.

Entries
Endings or Beginnings
The Vats
Good Times Good Times
Evil Eye Safari
A Builders Life
Tales of a Slayer
Golems Play Wubbaball
10-25-2008 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nabla
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
icon Re: Film Festival 2008 Poll (+1)  
I guess people are supposed to vote 10 for their own entry?

But what about teams of two people? Does only one of them get to vote? It would not be fair if they automatically got two 10s.
10-25-2008 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Film Festival 2008 Poll (0)  
Thanks for reminding me. Yes vote 10 for you own entry, unless your name is Techant and Coppro. You'll have to decide as a team what the votes are, and then one of you vote. I'm sure your responsible enough to do that. :)
10-25-2008 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Vote placed, feedback as usual:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by eb0ny at 10-30-2008 10:11 AM]
10-25-2008 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
NiroZ wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. Yes vote 10 for you own entry, unless your name is Techant and Coppro. You'll have to decide as a team what the votes are, and then one of you vote. I'm sure your responsible enough to do that. :)

OK that was unexpected. Were we the only ones who followed the rules and made up a team? I understand about the 10's but I guess the rest of the logic confuses me. Isn't there some advantage that we followed the rules and teamed up? Just asking.

10-25-2008 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
techant wrote:
Were we the only ones who followed the rules and made up a team? I understand about the 10's but I guess the rest of the logic confuses me. Isn't there some advantage that we followed the rules and teamed up? Just asking.

I didn't think making a team was obligatory - the rules just said:
Teamwork
Considering that this is a two month contest, and that any one person can only collect one prize from the prize pile, there is now added incentive to work in teams. If you don't want to work in a team, you can gift the other pick from the prize pile to someone other than you.

- that reads as though we had a choice.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 10-25-2008 11:31 PM]
10-25-2008 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Elfstone you are right, you had a choice. I guess I was surprised by the voting rules. That doesn't mean I have a better solution, to make the voting fair, so I will work out my voting with coppro. I didn't mean to be a spoiled sport or complainer, sorry. :blush

10-26-2008 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
Great job everyone, all the entries were very original.
My comments:

10-30-2008 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Film Festival 2008 Poll (+1)  
Okay, now the contest poll is now over, and I'll post who's the winnner/second/third etc.:

1. Endings or Beginnings wins with rating 7.4666666666667;
2. The Vats and Good times Good times both have the "7" rating! We should start the special poll to determine who's the second and who's the third;
4. Goelms play Wubbaball gets 4th place with 6.7333333333333 rating. By the way, was my entry so bad that three people voted 4 for it? :( 
5. A Builder's Life gets 5th place with 5.7333333333333 rating;
6. Evil eye safari gets 6th place with 5.6666666666667 rating;
7. Tales of a Slayer gets 7th place with 4.9333333333333 rating.

Hoping somebody will take care about determining who's the second and who's the third; and Elfstone should be given 200 rankpoints and prize...
10-31-2008 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Ok now that the voting is over I decided to post the comments I gave to coppro, when I found out we needed to vote jointly. He decided to go with my votes, because of time issues he had.

I really enjoyed doing a joint project and I would recommend it to everyone. I would think it would make a good contest but as no one else got a partner maybe there would be too little interest.

My Thoughts and Scores:

[Last edited by techant at 11-01-2008 02:56 AM]
10-31-2008 at 07:09 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
eb0ny wrote:

A Builder's Life - 8/3 = 3
Visuals - 4; Bleak surroundings and empty rooms. At least there were more than one floor styles.
Presentation/Polish - 3; Why the slayer couldn't move anymore? And why 70% of the time the free-thinking builder was running around building? And was there anyone but you who understood the (non-existant) ending? This may be harsh, but that's how I feel about it.
Entertainment - 1; BOOOOOOORIIIIIING.

Aww... I thought that since the story was set in a construction site that extra visuals would kill the setting. Sorry about the free-thinker builder (as you called him), but his building was sort of crucial to my point, which, if people didn't get it, was that in today's world revolutionaries and people with new ideas succeed by themselves, but when they try to get the proletariat on board, they all reject the idea/revolution. The ending actually meant that the empire had discovered their plot with their all-encompassing knowledge and sent a signal to make the slave builders kill themselves on hot tiles, but the revolutionary survived. Sorry if you found it boring or stupid :|
I appreciate the feedback though! :)

P.S. Since people didn't get the ending too much and I'm starting to get into architecture, I'm building a hold based on my video. The hold starts off with the 5:49 ;) minute movie and then goes to the remaining free builder's quest to escape the empire and make his way to the surface to live a normal life. Coming to an architecture board near you! ;)

P.P.S. DROD froze? Did that happen to anyone else? If so, I really am sorry. :blush

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 10-31-2008 10:55 PM]
10-31-2008 at 10:52 PM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Aww... I thought that since the story was set in a construction site that extra visuals would kill the setting. Sorry about the free-thinker builder (as you called him), but his building was sort of crucial to my point, which, if people didn't get it, was that in today's world revolutionaries and people with new ideas succeed by themselves, but when they try to get the proletariat on board, they all reject the idea/revolution. The ending actually meant that the empire had discovered their plot with their all-encompassing knowledge and sent a signal to make the slave builders kill themselves on hot tiles, but the revolutionary survived. Sorry if you found it boring or stupid :|
I appreciate the feedback though! :)
Okay, let me clarify.

First, the visuals. The first room is not that much to complain about, but the second one (where the viewer spends most of the time) feels that way. Maybe if it were smaller, surrounded by water... I dunno.

The story. My thoughts were similar here - free thinking people are not acceptable in our limited society of ads and celebrities (in the Empire's case - schedules and superiors). The problem is, as I already stated, that it takes what feels like 10 minutes for that builder to get through second room. Boredom kills enjoyment. You could have made the second room differently: the room could be smaller, the slayer would intimidate the builder all the time (placeholder for dialog, possibly exploring underlying problems, which would be a big plus for the story IMHO).

And I found the ending to be abrupt: everyone dies but one builder, he stays there, rotates his head a couple of times and that's it.

Maybe I want too much out this submission. You can't please everyone I guess.

P.S. Could you explain me, why slayer was not able to move after a pit tile was built in front of him?

11-01-2008 at 07:05 AM
zwetschenwasser
Smart slayers can be stupid... :)

I probably should have reduced the building markers, though...

Oh, well. I'll change it when I submit my hold-in-progress to Architecture. :)

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 11-01-2008 02:45 PM]
11-01-2008 at 02:42 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
I dunno...I only gave out one 10, and it was for bewusstseinslage's A Builder's Life. :look

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-01-2008 05:32 PM]
11-01-2008 at 05:32 PM
zwetschenwasser
icon Re: Film Festival 2008 Poll (+2)  
Endings or Beginnings- Wow. I absolutely loved this one. I don't understand why ebony thought it took too long to cut the mud, since the music was amazing and the whole point was that it takes effort to uncover long lost artifacts. The thing got me in this pensive, wonderful mood that I usually only get when listening to tragic/powerful classical music, and got with Good Times Good Times. Fantastic Work!

The Vats- This one was really good and clever, but I'm afraid my taste for movies leans more to the pensive, philosophical end (although to be fair, I gave it the same rating as a comparatively good submission that I enjoyed more, Endings or Beginnings). What I liked best about this movie was the layout and the prettiness. I mean, the setting was realistic and the ending was totally unexpected. Great job!

Good Times Good Times- I admit I had an unfair advantage since I actually understood everything that was going on from the very start since I proofread nabla's script for her (for typos and editing out some originally *shudder*-ish words). However, I completely did not expect nabla to use custom music and actually unfold a time paradox in front of you all at once. I was absolutely astounded by this one, and I gave it my highest rating. As I said before, I got the same pensive feeling that I loved so much in Endings or Beginnings. Superb work!

Evil Eye Safari - My comments for this most nearly resemble those for the Vats. I loved the originality of the idea and the aesthetically pleasing rooms. The clever plot and the enjoyable ending all contributed to the enjoyability of this movie. Unfortunately, I found it a tad on the short side, so I ranked it an equivalent tad below The Vats. Great work!

Tales of a Slayer - Meh. As Ebony said, the slayer takes too long to do walk and overall leaves the viewer with a feeling of "I get your point, but it could have probably taken 1/4 as long to get it across." The rooms and layout were excellent, and the plot and location were realistic and well designed. I ranked it below Evil Eye. Very good job!

Golems play wubbaball - I apologize, but I didn't fully understand this video. In my dissection of it, I have come to the conclusion that this video was a cute one with a joke running through it that I somehow missed the punchline of. I gave you credit that other people would most certainly understand what was the relationship between the golem's game and Halph and Beethro's game, and I gave you credit for the hold's excellent scripting and visuals, so I rated it higher that Tales of a Slayer. Again, a very good job!

On my own...
I realize that Ebony (and others) probably felt the same way about Tales of a Slayer's empty walking time as with my "free-thinking builder"'s uninterrupted building. However, I personally feel that his empty building serves a purpose, much like the long held-out mud cutting did in Endings or Beginnings. I was trying to get people to think, "Wow! This poor builder knows how to do nothing but to do the same thing over and over again, as fast as he can, whith periodic taunting from the idiot slayer!" So, yeah, I gave mine a 10, and I appreciate the friendly feedback from everyone! I liked participating in my first contest, and I think I'll do more.

11-02-2008 at 12:04 AM
techant
zwetschenwasser wrote:
The Vats- This one was really good and clever, but I'm afraid my taste for movies leans more to the pensive, philosophical end (although to be fair, I gave it the same rating as a comparatively good submission that I enjoyed more, Endings or Beginnings). What I liked best about this movie was the layout and the prettiness. I mean, the setting was realistic and the ending was totally unexpected. Great job!

Thank you for your kind and positive comments. I must give coppro the credit for the town looking so good. I was so focused on the video that all I had left in me to create were the dock and the Tombstone warehouse. He did the town from scratch because he lost his city layout with a recent computer crash. He really deserves :thumbsup for his great job on this joint project.

11-02-2008 at 02:43 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Golems play wubbaball - I apologize, but I didn't fully understand this video. In my dissection of it, I have come to the conclusion that this video was a cute one with a joke running through it that I somehow missed the punchline of. I gave you credit that other people would most certainly understand what was the relationship between the golem's game and Halph and Beethro's game, and I gave you credit for the hold's excellent scripting and visuals, so I rated it higher that Tales of a Slayer. Again, a very good job!

:~(

Okay, let me explain it.

First, we see how Beethro and stalwarts are waiting for... something. Perharps they're just relaxing, perharps they're waiting for rainforcements... stalwarts ask Beethro to tell how he stopped playing that "wubbaball". And Beethro starts his story...

"wubbaball" was a new game of The Eighth for the first computer of The Eighth. In fact, all those golems who played wubbaball(i.e. throwed that wubba through the field) weren't real. They were virtual.

Then, when one of golem teams wins, the story goes in real world, where one computers with "wubbaball" game was placed. It was in... Beethro's home! We see how he asks Halph(who won the round in "wubbaball" computer game) if he changed game settings. Of course, Halph changed those game settings, so computer counted losing game as winning the game.

Meanwhile, REAL golems didn't like "wubbaball" computer game and tried to stop this. So, two golems were sent to stop this in Beethro's house. They've knocked and, well, asked Beethro to stop it. Of course Beethro didn't want to stop, but he also didn't want "to have a huge pile of rocks in front of his house". ;)

After that, Beethro stops the story and we see how he with those three stalwarts reaches the stalwart outpost. Then Beethro ends the story with "I don't want to have a huge pile of rocks in front of my house"... and suddenly one of stalwarts says that they've played computer game "wubbaball", too... Beethro turns around and sees that stalwarts are fighting with golems and giants who were tired trying to make people stop playing "wubbaball" computer game.

And of course...

THIS IS ALL A JOKE. :D

[Last edited by mxvladi at 11-02-2008 12:10 PM : edited smiley]
11-02-2008 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Eureka! I never would have realized the computer game twist. Thank you, mxvladi! :D

11-02-2008 at 01:35 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Film Festival 2008 Poll (+2)  
Goodness me! that was a surprise!! (I stopped looking at the scores after the "1" appeared; Nabla - didn't I say?)

This was a very good idea for a Contest and although very time-consuming, it was most enjoyable. My grateful thanks to those of you who took the time to watch and vote for all the entries and particularly to those who voted my wee piece up.

For those who are interested I have included the comments which I wrote last week when I first watched the entries (I watched all of them at least twice).

Very well done to all contestants, you have reinforced yet again just how much talent there is among the members of this site. :thumbsup

11-03-2008 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
P.P.S. DROD froze? Did that happen to anyone else? If so, I really am sorry.
Sorry, turns out it wasn't your fault- Internet Explorer crashed while I had DROD open playing your hold. I didn't let the crash affect my vote.

11-04-2008 at 02:02 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Film Festival 2008 Poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com