Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Passing the Vegetable Torch (The November Contest - but start now!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Passing the Vegetable Torch (+5)  
For the past five years, in October, I've taken great pride in carving DROD-themed pumpkins as a fun way to be festive on Halloween. I've been referred to as the

"No. #1 DROD Fan" - Mattcrampy - 2003,
and as "an absolute legend" - Pilchard VIII - 2006.

I've been called "Amazing!" - wackhead_UK - 2004,
and "Mighty cool" - larrymurk - 2005,

and had my work referred to as simply
"RAWSOME" - ErikH2000 - 2007.

Yes, it's been a glorious road for me, but I think its time for me to hang up my gourds, and sheathe my carving tools, for this year I'm:

PASSING THE VEGETABLE TORCH!

Simply put, I want you to be worthy of my title as "#1 DROD Pumpkin Carving Master" by creating original DROD-themed artwork carved or drawn on, sculpted or etched from, a pumpkin (or other vegetable of your choice).

The Rules
Things are gonna sound a bit tricky, so please read carefully:

1. Your artwork must be DROD-themed, and completely original (unlike my 2007 lantern, which uses a stencil created using graphics from The City Beneath). No artwork from any of the DROD games is permitted.

2. Your artwork must include a vegetable or melon or squash in some, if not the majority of, it's composition. Why not restrict it to pumpkins? Because I understand that pumpkins are not accessible to everyone, especially in regions where Halloween is not observed. Therefore ANY vegetable, or combination of vegetables, will be permitted.

3. Group efforts/collaborations are not allowed. Younger folks, please, ask for your parent's help when using sharp tools and carrying heavy veggies.

4. Public discussion of concepts, ideas, imagery, or anything that other participants could potentially "steal" from you and use as their own, is also not allowed. Please, feel free to discuss carving or drawing techniques, or anything that will not compromise your own work.

5. It is recommended that when completed, you take a digital photograph of your work, and post it in the submission topic. Submission topics, keep any replies made hidden to everyone except the person who posted the reply and the original creator of the topic. So you can post your picture as a reply to that topic (after the submission date) and just you and I will be able to see it. If you cannot take a digital photograph, you should have ample time to take a traditional film photo, and scan it. Many stores now have scanners available for public use, and will export images to a digital format for you. Dimensions of the photo are not restricted to a certain size, but please keep file sizes under 400k if possible. If you have trouble with this, feel free to ask for help here on the forum.

6. If taking a photo of a carved pumpkin or other hollow object, please take it while lit. (instructions for the best way to do this can be found further on)

7. If you have questions, please post them, I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner, but I don't have as much PC time as I used to. Notice how this is my first post in almost an entire year? Yeah.

Tips

1. As stated, you may ask questions about techniques freely, but here's a few things to get you going if you're unsure what to do.

2. CLICK ME - This is a link to a fairly in-depth article on how to carve pumpkins, from simple shapes, to delicate stencil-work. I imagine these steps would work on other veggies, or squashes, or melons.

3. The best way I've found to take pictures of carvings in hollow objects is to light the inside using a bright flashlight pointing in, toward the bottom (Or at least not toward the camera). Once lit, you'll want to take the picture in the dark, with no flash. Take a few pictures to see which comes out best.

Deadlines
Okay, getting a bit complicated here.

1. This November contest is being announced early, and here's why: If you decide to use a pumpkin as your medium, NOW is probably the best time to go choose one. Toward the end of October, it's slim pickings for sure, you'll end up getting what nobody else wants.

2. You may begin to create your artwork, and photograph it at any time, but you MUST submit a SINGLE image as your entry between the dates of Local Time:10-24-2008 at 01:00 PM in negative 804 weeks, 6 days, and Local Time:11-03-2008 at 12:59 PM innegative 803 weeks, 3 days. Any entries before Local Time:10-24-2008 at 01:00 PM, or after Local Time:11-03-2008 at 12:59 PM will not be accepted. That's a ten-day window. You can do it!

3. On November 4th, a SPECIAL event will occur (to be mentioned soon), and then on November 5th, public voting will begin. On Local Time:11-13-2008 at 12:59 PM, the polls will close. And the winner will be determined.

Prizes!
Okay, that SPECIAL event I mentioned. Not only is your artwork going to be critiqued by your forum peers, but all pieces will receive SPECIAL evaluation by ME, the current reigning DROD Pumpkin Master. And SPECIAL prizes will be awarded for the person lucky enough to receive my SPECIAL nod.

Here's how it works.

= After the submission topic is closed, I will peruse the entries and choose my favorite, and second favorite from the bunch.

= I will write down my selections and seal them in an envelope, and paste the envelope underneath my bearded dragon tank (he's vicious, I tell you, hands off), where nobody will dare to go peeking.

= On November 5th, regular voting will occur, with my decisions remaining private.

FROM FORUM VOTING:
1st Place Prize: A Prize from the prize pile, and 100 rank points.
2nd Place Prize: 50 rank points
3rd Place Prize: 25 rank points

FROM MY PERSONAL SELECTION:
1st Place Prize: You will be officially dubbed the NEW "#1 DROD Vegetable Artwork Master!" PLUS, I will personally mail you the 2007 Aumtlich Lantern. Don't worry, it's a fake pumpkin, I'm not sending you rotted vegetables.

2nd Place Prize: I will mail you a new Pumpkin Carving Kit, identical to the ones I've used when making all of my DROD lanterns!

Also note that it is entirely possible that you could win both first place as voted by the community, and first place as selected by me. DOUBLE PRIZES, BABY!

Oh jeez, this is the first contest I've ran since the DROD Haiku Contest so long ago... Hope I didn't screw anything up!

Please, have fun, be creative, and don't worry if you don't think you're any good. I had NEVER carved an elaborate pumpkin until my first Beethr'O'Lantern, and I was shocked by what I could do. Maybe you can even surprise yourself! The contest is being announced SUPER early, so you have no excuse not to try!

Ciao!
-Clayton

[Last edited by ClaytonW at 10-12-2008 03:07 PM : Changes in RED]
10-11-2008 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Passing the Vegetable Torch (0)  
Wow, welcome back ClaytonW. great contest idea. Did I understand this right if we use a drawing for our carving it has to be original, we can not use any of the artwork already part of DROD?

10-11-2008 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
techant wrote:
Did I understand this right if we use a drawing for our carving it has to be original, we can not use any of the artwork already part of DROD?
Correct. It must be an original, drawn-by-you, DROD-themed drawing. Artwork found in any of the DROD titles is prohibited.
10-11-2008 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I don't know if this was more a contest about art, carving or taking photos of round objects. I didn't plan for how hard taking a picture of a dark round barely lit object would be, Ha Ha! :lol

10-25-2008 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Hey all, what gives?! I only have one entry to the contest so far. Are you gonna let this epic contest pass you by? There's only a few days left open for submissions. Get those veggies in!
10-30-2008 at 06:00 PM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
ClaytonW wrote:
Hey all, what gives?! I only have one entry to the contest so far. Are you gonna let this epic contest pass you by? There's only a few days left open for submissions. Get those veggies in!
There's nowhere to buy plastic vegetables on my end. This contest is just not as accessible as it should be. I dunno, maybe not limit submissions to fake vegetables... but then it would be not a Halloween contest, now would it?

10-30-2008 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Passing the Vegetable Torch (+1)  
eb0ny wrote:There's nowhere to buy plastic vegetables on my end.
I think you mis-read the rules somehow. Although he doesn't specify, I think Clayton meant for us to use real vegetables, as it would be a little difficult to carve plastic ones.
10-30-2008 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
ClaytonW wrote:
3. On November 4th, a SPECIAL event will occur (to be mentioned soon), and then on November 5th, public voting will begin. On Local Time:11-13-2008 at 12:59 PM, the polls will close. And the winner will be determined.
You are talking about the Futurama release right? ;)

Please, have fun, be creative, and don't worry if you don't think you're any good. I had NEVER carved an elaborate pumpkin until my first Beethr'O'Lantern, and I was shocked by what I could do. Maybe you can even surprise yourself! The contest is being announced SUPER early, so you have no excuse not to try!
I totally agree! People, I have no carving skills what so ever, but the entry I completed in less than two hours is awesome, (sort of...). Come on everyone! Take a fruit, stab it a few times, light some candles around it and shoot a couple of pictures from every possible angel. You'll be amazed at the result, I promise.

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-31-2008 12:21 AM]
10-31-2008 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
icon Re: Passing the Vegetable Torch (+1)  
noma wrote:
eb0ny wrote:There's nowhere to buy plastic vegetables on my end.
I think you mis-read the rules somehow. Although he doesn't specify, I think Clayton meant for us to use real vegetables, as it would be a little difficult to carve plastic ones.

That is correct. The intention is to use REAL vegetables.
11-01-2008 at 12:15 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
So... the submission phase is over? What happens if there are only two submissions? How will prizes work?

11-03-2008 at 04:55 PM
ClaytonW
Jason wrote:
So... the submission phase is over? What happens if there are only two submissions? How will prizes work?

Yes, submission is over. There are currently four submissions. So prize distribution will work as discussed in the rules. I'm currently making my nominations for first and second, which will get my Aumtlich Pumpkin, and a new carving kit, respectively. Public voting begins tomorrow when I create the poll, and the winners there will receive the standard "Prize pile and points" deal. Also, my personal nominations won't be revealed until after public voting concludes, so I don't sway the vote.
11-04-2008 at 01:35 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Passing the Vegetable Torch (The November Contest - but start now!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com