Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Beta Testing This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Beta Testing (0)  
Caravel Software is proud to announce that DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold is stable enough to begin beta testing!

We're very proud of what we (well, Mike) has achieved with this release, with substantial graphical rewrites and gameplay advancements more suited to a sequel than a new version.

The major changes to JtRH are:

* A new hold, with new monsters, new surprises and a new mission-based gameplay, which allows us to tell a fluid and non-linear story from Dugandy to deep below the Eighth. Help Beethro discover and defeat the evil that lurks beneath the soil...

* Beethro can now use not only his trusty sword, but also a dual-headed axe and a crossbow, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. He can even carry potions to use later!

* New graphic engine, including a neat perspective view that will actually change which way the walls tilt as Beethro walks around!

* New fluid styles - hold authors can make the walls, floor and even doors appear however they want!

* Infinite room sizes - you can make a room however big or small you need!

* Levels now go in three dimensions - you now select which rooms are in which levels, which allows Beethro to go up and down stairs, or even jump down in places!

* New lighting system - Beethro now has to ensure he has enough light to see by. Above ground, there'll be plenty of light so Beethro can see the entire room, but below ground, he'll have to have a torch.

* Fully animated cutscenes, showing off Erik's charming illustrative style throughout the game.

* Connect to DROD.net to see your highscores or play online with your friends with a clever 'mulligan' mode.

You can see just how much the look of the game has changed:

We will be running a closed beta, so only the first twenty-five people who sign up for testing will be allowed to test - the others will be hand-picked by Caravel. This is a commercial product after all - we can't let just anyone in.

Edit: We have opened up an additional ten places due to demand. Sign up now!

To sign up, send your user name, real name and a contact e-mail address to webmaster@caravelgames.com by April 14th.

Good luck!

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 04-01-2004 at 10:28 AM GMT: Additional places]

04-01-2004 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Beta Testing (0)  
OMG, I almost just had a heart attack!
makes me glad I check the forums waaaaaay too much, there hadn't even been 15 views yet =)
----------
edit: Dudes and dudettes... It's soooooo awesome your eyeballs are gonna fall out of your skull when you play this, let me tell you.

[Edited by Drizzo on 04-01-2004 at 05:58 AM GMT]

04-01-2004 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Indeed, it's a good thing I showed up at 1AM to look at the forums. And to think I just made a post elsewhere that predicted this wouldn't be ready for another six months...

There'd already been 20 other views by the time I looked at the thread though, so I might not have been one of the first 15 emails to be sent. The fingers are crossed, my friends.

I find it amusing how some of the features the dev team explicitly said were not in 1.7 have been included in the above list.

[Edited by DiMono on 04-01-2004 at 06:13 AM GMT]

04-01-2004 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
squeekie
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Beta Testing (+1)  
I've been playing holds since finishing Drod in October 2003. I would love to be a beta tester. I've been kind of hanging low since my brothers passing but I gotta carry on.

04-01-2004 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Kniggit
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
If this is an April Fools thing... :angry
04-01-2004 at 07:17 AM
DiMono
I assure you it's not a joke, my friend, Matt's sent me the download link for the JtRH beta and I'm grabbing it as I type this. And here I was planning to sleep tonight...

04-01-2004 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
This is definitely going to drive the rest of us that don't get the beta crazy as we know our fellow forum buddies are enjoying their all new DRODing while others wait out in the darkness, straining their ears for crumbs. Let's hope for a short beta with very few bugs... :glasses

[Edited by Koro on 04-01-2004 at 06:57 AM GMT]
I just wasted my landmark 100th post I'll have you all know. Hook, line, and sinker... Grrr! :angry Or wait, maybe it is a double lie, to keep those of us without the beta happy in our ignorance. It could drive a fellow mad... :blowup

[Edited by Koro on 04-01-2004 at 08:50 PM GMT]

04-01-2004 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I knew this was coming. I had even predicted the exact day. Weird, isn't it?

04-01-2004 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Grr. I'm never awake when all this happens. I've probably missed the beta entries now. Oh, well. Now to wait and hope that someone will be nice enough to me to let me into the testing grounds, or I suppose it'll be a really long wait.

04-01-2004 at 10:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The places haven't filled up yet.

Matt

04-01-2004 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I'm in!

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 04-01-2004 at 10:11 AM GMT]

04-01-2004 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
DiMono
Alright, I've been playing the beta for seven hours straight now, completely ignoring sleep, and I really must say that I'm totally blown away by it. Those of us involved in this beta run are really seeing something special, and I can say with certainty that everyone will be quite impressed when JtRH is finished and released. Matt told me there are still a few open slots, so there's still time to get in on the closed beta run.

04-01-2004 at 05:04 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I sent my email about an hour ago and I'm really twitchy. So twitchy I messed up a basic differential rule on my Calc test. *twitch* Now I know how Tweek feels. And the Red Bull isn't helping. Damn lousy alarm clock... Ahh! The gnomes are coming to steal my underpants! Sweet jesus this is not a good feeling. *blows an artery due to stress* In the meantime I'm guessing that no news is bad news, AKA a "no".

EDIT: I just saw the thing about the crossbow and the axe... I'm drooling and twitching now.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 04-01-2004 at 05:45 PM GMT]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-01-2004 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I really hate this coincidence - I wope up at 6:30 this morning, and I thought "Nah, I won't look at the forums now." And now, I'm being held in suspense. Are there still spots????????????????????
?????????????????????

Oh please, please, please.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-01-2004 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Drizzo
I'm pretty sure there may be a couple... I doubt the last ones filled up quite so fast... It's pretty intense, although I've already got a few bugs to report, which is a good thing, because typing 'em out gives me a chance to slow my brain down... The hold part isn't entirely complete yet, but these new dungeon elements have completely revolutionized the way you have to think during the game... a lot of it is relearning your strategy entirely, yet it's still very much DROD... When this is in final release it will be unbelievable.

04-01-2004 at 07:46 PM
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I have a feeling this is an April Fools day joke, but i sent my mail anyway. :glasses
04-01-2004 at 09:11 PM
The_Red_Hawk
No, it isn't - a few people have already received it, as you can tell from the responses.

04-01-2004 at 09:13 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
I have one word: WOW!
This game is amazing. The screenshot just doesn't do this game justice. You have to play it to see how good it is. Its freakin' amazing.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

I'm going to go back to playing it now.

WOW.

-Zmann
04-01-2004 at 09:16 PM
joker5
Anyone know how long Matt usually sleeps? About 8 hours, would you say?

If so then expect responses in around... 3 hours, maybe a bit more if he's a slow riser.

On the upside this is slightly more bearable than the 6-month until-major-release mode I was in before. This is worse in one aspect because I MIGHT NOT GET IN, whereas it was pretty much a fact that 1.7 was going to be released inna few months, and even if they nearly starved we would feed them and make sure they weren't evicted and such.

Speaking of that wait, if this beta takes about 3 weeks, and the bugs are all minor, and the rest of the dungeon takes about a month to two months... we could be playing a demo in around... 1 and a half months.

Much more humane than the 6-month thing that sorta just emerged.

Let's hear it for the Dev team for all their hard work, dedication, and creative rumor-control and -mongering! Hip hip Horray!

</psychotic babble>

~joker5

04-01-2004 at 09:20 PM
Drizzo
Actually, Matt has resigned from administration of this website, and all caravel related affairs have been turned over to the ghost of Joseph Goebbels, who I'm sure will be merciless and respond in a coarse typed german accent "No beta for you!" Meanwhile, I'll marvel at the particle effects used for the bomb explosions, and continue to try and find new ways to crash the editor. Mike may be a speed demon on the coding that we all adore, but I think to hope that ANY beta lasts only 3 weeks is a pipe dream. Yes, it's stable-ish, and yes it's awesome, but there's a lot of work to be done, and that's after a little under 14 hours of checking. I dread to think what DiMono's eye has found, that boy attracts bugs like roadkill covered in honey...

04-01-2004 at 09:38 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I sent my mail 3 hours ago and I have'nt gotten any response.
Did you get my email, Matt?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-01-2004 at 09:49 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Look back two posts ago - apparently he'll be sleeping right now.

04-01-2004 at 09:56 PM
joker5
30 minutes until Matt awakens... if he sleeps 8 hours. Given that he's a programmer he probably sleeps like 16. Matt, your opinion on this topic?

~joker5

04-01-2004 at 11:32 PM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
I sent my request in to matt, Hopefully theres more room left.

He He, If this is an April Fools joke this is the best one yet because of the 1.7 excitement. If this is an April Fools Follie then Matt is gonna get it hard by some angry DRODers (including me :P )

[Edited by Stuwy on 04-01-2004 at 11:46 PM GMT]
04-02-2004 at 12:40 AM
joker5
Man... never has one man's natural sleep's end been so awaited.

EDIT: I just realized that this whole thing might be an April Fool's sham, like the "ridiculous speculation topic". That would hurt. I mean, the thing around that screenshot is exactly the same as the old one... and the maps are the exact same size as the old ones despite the "infinite room size" thing... and the crossbow... and the axe... Unless they only disallowed suggestions to the tune of these BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED.... hmm....

I just convinced myself it's not a joke. The brain is an amazing thing.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 04-01-2004 at 11:48 PM GMT]

04-02-2004 at 12:44 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Well I'm going to find out soon if this is real or Matt's just pulling us. I'm going to work now and I'll be back in about 5 hours, see you guys later
04-02-2004 at 12:47 AM
joker5
News flash: Matt lives in Australia. This means his timezone is -10. Mine is -5. It's 6:46 right aboot now, so it's about 2 over at Matt's place. He's not sleeping, he's working.

Probably.

Although knowing how hot Australia gets I wouldn't be surprised it he's sleep-working.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 04-02-2004 at 12:15 AM GMT]

04-02-2004 at 12:52 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Australia is +10 not -10. At the time I posted this its 10:50am in Australia.
04-02-2004 at 02:01 AM
joker5
You sure? He should be up by now then... I know I am.

~joker5

04-02-2004 at 02:09 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
joker5 wrote:
You sure? He should be up by now then... I know I am.
Joker, why don't you just call him? His phone# is (+0431)12-1131809-7. If you want, check with the operator first to see how much the call is going to cost per minute, depending on your long distance carrier it might not be so bad. Like for me, it's 6 cents a minute to Australia in the evenings, but I'm on the BMI plan which is good for international calls. Also, I wouldn't normally put people's phone numbers up on the internet, but Matt told me before it was okay. He likes to be accessible!

-Erik

04-02-2004 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Beta Testing This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com