Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Caravelnet site
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 235
IP: Logged
icon Caravelnet site (0)  
Wasn't the site down some hours ago?

What was the problem?

[Last edited by Vike91 at 09-20-2008 07:16 PM]
09-20-2008 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Caravelnet site (+1)  
Vike91 wrote:

What was the problem?
I'm going to guess that Mike finished switching Caravel's domain names from the hated Domainsite registrar. A little downtime was inevitable.

-Erik

09-20-2008 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1236
icon Re: Caravelnet site (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Vike91 wrote:

What was the problem?
I'm going to guess that Mike finished switching Caravel's domain names from the hated Domainsite registrar. A little downtime was inevitable.

-Erik
What was the matter with Domainsite? I never experienced any problems.
09-20-2008 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Caravelnet site (+2)  
slimm tom wrote:
What was the matter with Domainsite? I never experienced any problems.
Maybe 2 or 3 times a year domainsite would go down, leaving our sites inaccessible. Sometimes they would take a few days to come back up.

They've botched our mail delivery at different times so that we don't receive mail. And there's nothing to tell you when you aren't receiving the mail either.

Recently, they've misdelivered mail messages intended for me and others on the caravelgames.com domain to random people that would never have even heard of Caravel.

They shut down our domains in response to noticing a high volume of mail being delivered by *OUR* mail server (not theirs). Their only input from the situation was the hits against the MX DNS record on their server, yet they chose to classify us as spammers and claim we had breached their terms of service agreement. Our websites, e-commerce, mail--anything that relied on their domain records, was shut down without the slightest warning. I had to plead with some self-righteous jerk on the phone to let us keep our domain records up. This is why you now receive bulk e-mails from "caravelgames3.com" instead of the more obvious "caravelgames.com".

We only stayed with them as long as we have, because it is a pain in the ass to transfer domains, and there was always so much other more important Caravel work waiting to get done.

-Erik

09-20-2008 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Caravelnet site (0)  
Vike91 wrote:
Erik, you should tell us when server will be down for maintenance.
I'm not handling that these days.

But honestly, the server was down for a pretty small amount of time. Mike and I prepared for it in advance, but we didn't know exactly when the switchover would take place, since that was in the hands of the two registrars automated processes.

-Erik

09-21-2008 at 10:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Caravelnet site
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com