Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (0)  
DROD RPG is not happy on my iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. It freezes at random times, and I can't get out of it - DROD RPG seems to somehow break cmd-opt-esc!

And then even when I do get out, when I restart it, I have to start over from the beginning of the level :(
09-18-2008 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (0)  
I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to fix this problem. If you find a way to start up the game and then make it crash reliably, then you could give me your .dat files and I should be able to make the same thing happen on my end, and then fix it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-19-2008 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
Yeah, the annoying part is that it doesn't crash reliably. Or at all, since if it actually crashed, I could at least paste the crash log...

I noticed that when I tried to remove it (just to see if it was a bad download, or something) OS X thinks libcurl is still in use. What was libcurl even used for in the first place? (I have CNet off) That was actually Finder being a dork and telling me it was in use, when actually it was buried in a set of directories set 555.

(Also, we REALLY need something that does <strike>...</strike> (or, if you like semantics, <delete>...</delete>. Most browsers render them the same anyway.)

[Last edited by kyevan at 09-19-2008 01:08 AM]
09-19-2008 at 12:55 AM
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (+1)  
You mean like strike?

s, /s.

09-19-2008 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
smiteo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Sorry to bump this old thread, but has this bug been fixed in the actual game? I finished the demo (eventually) on my MacBook Pro
(core duo 2.16GHz, 2GB, 10.5.5) but it must have crashed at least 20 times during the levels of the demo... I have yet to find a reliable was to make it crash, but it does crash often...

I'm reluctant to buy the full game if the bug is still there...
10-24-2008 at 10:21 PM
mrimer
smiteo wrote:
Sorry to bump this old thread, but has this bug been fixed in the actual game? I finished the demo (eventually) on my MacBook Pro
(core duo 2.16GHz, 2GB, 10.5.5) but it must have crashed at least 20 times during the levels of the demo... I have yet to find a reliable was to make it crash, but it does crash often...

I'm reluctant to buy the full game if the bug is still there...
If you're experiencing this in the 1.0 demo, then whatever it is will probably affect you in the full version too. Since I haven't heard complaints from the OS X community at large, it's quite possible the freezes are a symptom of a specific bug that affects your MacBook or the way you use your system is used. I'd recommend waiting until version 1.1 comes out, then getting the 1.1 demo and seeing if the problem has gone away. Sorry I can't be more specific at this point -- I don't have a MacBook to troubleshoot on.

10-24-2008 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (+1)  
DROD-RPG did inexplicably crash my Mac (10.4.11) a couple of times while I was playing the demo, but the full version has been solid so far.
10-25-2008 at 12:19 AM
Tanstaafl
Rank Points: 11
I downloaded RPG a day or two, and it often crashes while I'm playing.

It's version 1.1.0.54.

There were no beeps before crashing. There are no *.err files anywhere. I don't think it has a chance to write a crash log; the system freezes, stops accepting keystrokes, and eventually puts up the spinning pizza cursor. I have to get the OS's attention in order to kill it most of the time. Occasionally it crashes on its own.

I'm using the full version.

The best I can do for a cause is that it often seems to happen after I bump into a wall, but I wouldn't say that that's always true.

Not realizing that I had RPG, I originally asked this question on the non-RPG side and kwakstur asked how big the .dat files are. There's just one:

-r--r--r-- 1 - 112627715 Nov 1 08:30 drodrpg1_0.dat

Any ideas?
01-04-2009 at 04:16 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (+2)  
DROD's source code is filled with calls to a function called ASSERT that checks for and logs (with a beep) any potentially problematic conditions before performing actions that could get glitchy.
So a crash is usually preceded by one or more "assertion errors", as long as the game recognizes the cause. The game always would get a chance to log anything it knows to check for before the crash.

But the game is hanging, not crashing... and a lack of errors really is no help.

I usually jump into these Bug topics and try to help pinpoint the problem (to the best of my ability), but I'm stumped here. Could it just simply be that OS X 10.5.5 is incompatible with RPG?

When you bump into a wall, nothing too notable happens. A sound is played, and the graphics for the wall are nudged forward 1 pixel. Everything else would happen no matter what move you made. And I don't see how the game could fall into an infinite loop... Bumping walls is at best only an indirect cause of the game locking up.

About the stuff I asked before, your drodrpg1_0.dat is the right size for Full version. I think that on Macs the other .dats are put in another, hidden directory... one that you can only reach by Right-Clicking on the executable. If they're not there (there should be 6), or if they have filesizes of 0, then maybe one of my suspicions is confirmed: The game won't save. I don't know what you should do about it, though...

Meh, I tried.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-04-2009 06:58 AM]
01-04-2009 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tanstaafl
I'm a Unix hacker from way back. Hidden directories aren't hidden, they just need different "ls" options.

That's the only .dat around. I'll try installing under my account instead of in /Applications.

Thanks.
01-04-2009 at 07:11 AM
Lamkin
icon Re: Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X (+2)  
Kwakstur wrote:
But the game is hanging, not crashing...

Not quite... :)
Tanstaafl wrote:
Occasionally it crashes on its own.

Kwakstur wrote:
I think that on Macs the other .dats are put in another, hidden directory... one that you can only reach by Right-Clicking on the executable. If they're not there (there should be 6), or if they have filesizes of 0, then maybe one of my suspicions is confirmed: The game won't save.
The file path for OS X is:
/Users/[nameofyourhomefolder]/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drodrpg-1_0

All six .dat files should be present (along with file sizes that aren't zero).

[Last edited by Lamkin at 01-04-2009 07:42 AM]
01-04-2009 at 07:29 AM
Tanstaafl
No better. Still freezes randomly. Mostly after running into a wall. (regardless of what's not possible.) I'm still trying it.

There aren't any .err files and only one .dat. It seems to be saving checkpoints somewhere though, since I can restart from saved checkpoints I created by hitting <save> or ones that were saved automatically. I don't know where they're getting saved though, unless it's in the one .dat file.

Does that give you any clues?
01-04-2009 at 07:30 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Tanstaafl wrote:
I don't know where they're getting saved though, unless it's in the one .dat file.
Nope, what makes drodrpg1_0.dat different from the others is that it isn't save data. It is only loaded from. drodrpg1_0.dat contains most of the media in DROD; the room styles, the music, and I think even the title hold (Tendry's Tale). Probably the biggest difference between Demo and Full version is that the one for full version is 60 MB bigger.

EDIT: I see you have them. So saving isn't the problem.
I give up.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-04-2009 07:49 AM]
01-04-2009 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tanstaafl
37: cd drodrpg-1_0/
38: ll -aR

total 648
drwxr-xr-x 13 chris chris - 442 Jan 3 23:17 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 chris chris - 102 Jan 2 18:11 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 112 Jan 3 12:40 DataPath.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris - 68 Jan 2 18:11 Homemade/
drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris - 68 Jan 2 18:11 L10n/
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 2238 Jan 2 18:11 data.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 4273 Jan 3 23:17 drodrpg.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 5 Jan 3 23:17 drodrpg.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 2238 Jan 2 18:11 hold.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 8860 Jan 3 23:25 player.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 241398 Jan 3 23:25 save.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 42314 Jan 3 23:25 savemoves.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris - 6724 Jan 3 12:23 text.dat

./Homemade:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris - 68 Jan 2 18:11 ./
drwxr-xr-x 13 chris chris - 442 Jan 3 23:17 ../

./L10n:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris - 68 Jan 2 18:11 ./
drwxr-xr-x 13 chris chris - 442 Jan 3 23:17 ../
01-04-2009 at 07:44 AM
Lamkin
I still think Leopard is to blame.
01-04-2009 at 07:54 AM
mrimer
I haven't tried running any DROD games on Leopard myself, so I don't know whether the game will run there or not. You might try running the game with the "nosound" command line argument to see if sound drivers are to blame.

01-18-2009 at 03:32 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Freeze randomly, sometimes crash, on OS X
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com