Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about DROD: RPG
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about DROD: RPG (+1)  
I don't like the fact that underoptimizing at one point affects your score at every subsequent point. In DROD proper, every room was independent--sure, you might have subsections in a room such that taking 100 moves too long on the first part meant a lower score even if you were perfect on the rest; but then again, that still only comes to a single high score. Whereas if my score is suboptimal at the first scorepoint in Tendry's Tale, it'll be suboptimal at every single scorepoint in the rest of the hold.
09-28-2008 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Tahnan wrote:
I don't like the fact that underoptimizing at one point affects your score at every subsequent point. In DROD proper, every room was independent--sure, you might have subsections in a room such that taking 100 moves too long on the first part meant a lower score even if you were perfect on the rest; but then again, that still only comes to a single high score. Whereas if my score is suboptimal at the first scorepoint in Tendry's Tale, it'll be suboptimal at every single scorepoint in the rest of the hold.

Technically, it's worse than that, as optimal choices for one scorepoint tend to focus on maximizing health, keys and stats for then and there, likely at the expense of long term optimal choices. Heck, I'm pretty sure the optimal choice for later scorepoints would be to not trigger the first scorepoint *at all* in the official hold.

09-28-2008 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about DROD: RPG (0)  
Yeah, it would be cool if it calculated the diff between the last scoring point and this scoring point instead.
09-28-2008 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
I think I'm okay with optimizing for score point A or B effectively being a different game from optimizing the very last score point.
09-28-2008 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I don't like that some parts feel like "cheating". For example, in the mud mother room, the spider is avoidable, with diagonal stepping. Also, pretty much every goblin in the game is able to be passed without damage due to nifty sword placement. There was something with the aumtlich as well...though I'm not recalling exactly what.

09-28-2008 at 02:53 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
zex20913 wrote:
I don't like that some parts feel like "cheating". For example, in the mud mother room, the spider is avoidable, with diagonal stepping. Also, pretty much every goblin in the game is able to be passed without damage due to nifty sword placement. There was something with the aumtlich as well...though I'm not recalling exactly what.

I'm not sure about the vague aumtlich one, but the spider and goblin things are definitely by design.

09-28-2008 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
Tahnan wrote:
I don't like the fact that underoptimizing at one point affects your score at every subsequent point.

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem with TotS-likes because of the general game design. However, it can be mitigated a bit with design of the holds... much the same way you don't have to use less popular things like Orb puzzles when making a hold for regular DROD. One thing is that holds will likely be shorter for RPG than regular DROD... because it's a lot harder to produce and test a really large RPG hold because all the rooms are in play and active. Shorter holds will naturally be more forgiving of an early mistake in optimization (and easier to replay if you do). User made RPG holds the size of Tendry's Tale will probably be less common than user DROD holds the size of KDD, JtRH, or TCB (which are already pretty rare).

Another thing is that if you are going to make a long RPG hold, there are things that you can do to keep the butterfly effect in check. The most obvious is what's already done in TT... mug the character and reset them so everyone is even again. Sure, it breaks up the hold into multiple sub-holds (which could have be released that way), but if you're developing a long story it's an option that helps keep things more manageable.

In any case, it's a bit early to see how things will play out in practice. Holds that get through architecture are human evaluated and thus need to be fairly reasonable... if people don't like long slogs where early mistakes can really screw you, then you're not going to see that sort of hold go to the Holds board very often.
09-30-2008 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
????

I...not to my understanding?
10-26-2008 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
In that case you might want to up your gamma.
10-26-2008 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I currently don't love that this awesome patch that was made hasn't been ported yet.

11-08-2008 at 02:14 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
..Wasn't that basically used, like, twice, in the first half of the game?

11-08-2008 at 07:00 AM
NiroZ
I don't remember that. Are you sure it wasn't that you just had your gamma settings too low?
11-08-2008 at 07:36 AM
Sillyman
I remember that occuring a few times... without the invisibility of obstacles. The darkness was very, very mild and seemed only to provide ambiance.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 11-08-2008 07:19 PM]
11-08-2008 at 06:45 PM
Sillyman
With gamma at default (at least on my system), everything is visible and the darkness is still noticable and still provides that atmosphere you want and that was intended. Those rooms being invisible because of the darkness was not intended. So yes, you have your gamma turned waaay too far down.

Edit: Yup, just checked, and you might want to set your gamma to 1.0. Unless it's already there, in which case set your video card/monitor gamma higher.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 11-08-2008 07:24 PM]
11-08-2008 at 07:23 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Sillyman wrote:
With gamma at default (at least on my system), everything is visible and the darkness is still noticable and still provides that atmosphere you want and that was intended. Those rooms being invisible because of the darkness was not intended. So yes, you have your gamma turned waaay too far down.
Ummm... just a basic question:

Who of you is using a CRT monitor, and who is using a TFT display?

Because usually CRT monitors are waaay darker than TFTs...

np: Max Tundra - Glycaemic Index Blues (Parallax Error Beheads You)

11-08-2008 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Ah, that would explain it. Yes, I'm using a backlit LCD...

11-08-2008 at 09:32 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about DROD: RPG
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com