Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Weapons without reach (Repurposing of _MySword)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Weapons without reach (0)  
All weapons, currently, are held out in front of the player, allowing them to do many things in addition to merely having an ATK increase and various traits.

The graphic for this weapon, when Custom Weapons are used, is either uploaded as a custom tile, or defined by setting _MySword to a specific value so that already existing sword graphics can be used.

But... I've come across situations where it would be useful to create a weapon that does *not* give the player a sword, and instead keep them swordless. They still get the ATK increase and whatever boosts apply (Goblin weakness, 2x Greckles, Pierce Enemy Defense, etc.), but they don't get the advantages (and sometimes disadvantages) of having a weapon held out in front of them.

This currently doesn't seem possible. The logical way to implement it would be to simply set _MySword for the custom weapon to 0. The default value for _MySword is -1, and when _MySword is set to 0 on NPCs, it removes their sword. Since this value is currently not used for Custom Weapons, it can be safely repurposed to create weapons that keep the player swordless, offering yet another choice in the way to equip yourself.

(Also kinda hoping that the source for DROD RPG will be released sometime, but no big rush. In fact, no real rush on many of these requests I'm posting: I'm mentioning them so that it's easier to plan ahead and think about them when it's convenient)
09-17-2008 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Weapons without reach (+1)  
Eventually implemented as the Removes Sword behaviour which you apply to your sword character. Can confirm this feature works well, you can now have weapons that act like you are disarmed (strike last, don't drop trapdoors, etc) but you still get all the weapon bonuses.
06-11-2023 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Weapons without reach (+1)  
I found a bug. If you are holding a weapon with Remove Sword, fast travel pathfinding still assumes you're holding one out in the direction you are facing and so may not be able to pathfind because it thinks you'll start a fight.
06-16-2023 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Weapons without reach (0)  
PR (thanks, hyperme!)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-21-2023 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Weapons without reach (Repurposing of _MySword)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com