Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Trapdoor Reset Token
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Trapdoor Reset Token (+1)  
I think it would be helpful to architects to have the option of trapdoors being restorable in some rooms, rather than fully persistent. This is because unlike say, opening doors, dropping a trapdoor usually reduces a players options. Also, rooms with larger trapdoor puzzles may need this if a player unwittingly redenders the puzzle impossible, goes to explore somewhere else, and then later returns.

This could either be a token the player can trigger to reset all trapdoors, or perhaps a scripting element that declares a rooms trapdoors and bridges to have a nonpersistent state. Obviously in the second case there would need to be some cue to alert the player of that fact.

09-15-2008 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: Trapdoor Reset Token (0)  
I would strongly lean towards the token to keep internal consistency, but I can see it being difficult to implement...

09-15-2008 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Trapdoor Reset Token (+2)  
This can be scripted in DROD RPG.

Imperative 12
Label Loop
  Wait for player to touch me 
  Build Trapdoor (over pit),8,5,9,9
  Build Trapdoor (over pit),9,7,10,10
Label Wait
  If ... 
        Wait for player to touch me 
     Wait 0
     Go to Wait
  If End 
  Go to Loop

This script applied to an invisible NPC with the appropriate custom graphic would create a token that when walked over, will recreate trapdoors at the appropriate locations. You can use this to reset rooms as you please.

If you set this on an invisible character without Imperative 12 (Ghost Display) and instead using Imperative 14 (Restart script on entrance), then you can remove the Loop label and the trapdoors will be rebuilt whenever you re-enter the room. You can also create a token in a completely seperate room that sets "Reset" variables for multiple rooms (which query and then reset their own variable each time you enter a particular room) if you want a token to reset multiple different rooms at once. If there's no building going on in the current room though, you may want to use a Game Effect on the Token's location to give a sound cue that something has happened.

I'm not saying that the feature wouldn't be useful, but the option *is* in architect's hands right now with the current tools. If someone wants to submit a token graphic into the public domain to aid this, then that would also be useful (I suggest something similar to the Conquer Token graphic, but using an R instead of a C)

EDIT: You also have other options that you can add on top of this via careful use of waiting for Events. For example, if you use "Wait for event All trapdoors removed", you can have the script turn itself off so that the trapdoors no longer reset. A version of a grayed-out Reset Token graphic would likely be useful for cases like this, to give visual feedback that the Reset Token no longer works.

So long as you keep things logical and explained, then this would be a very versatile solution to the problem, should an architect wish to use it.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-16-2008 02:35 PM : Better script that only fires once until player moves off token]
09-15-2008 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Wow, thats very cool. I haven't really looked at scripting for the RPG yet and had no idea it could do that. I take it build actions are immediate so they would execute at the same time in your example?

Well, anyway, that certainly lowers the priority of this, but yeah a graphics resource would be cool. I suppose taking the yellow circle shape from an existing token to build new tokens would require explicit permission from Caravel and not in general be an option when designing holds?

[Last edited by Beef Row at 09-15-2008 02:11 PM]
09-15-2008 at 02:10 PM
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
Beef Row wrote:
Well, anyway, that certainly lowers the priority of this, but yeah a graphics resource would be cool. I suppose taking the yellow circle shape from an existing token to build new tokens would require explicit permission from Caravel and not in general be an option when designing holds?
I'm guessing that if you ask Mike nicely, he'll release a Token Template - a blank circle of the exact dimensions of all tokens in DROD RPG (and maybe a TCB version as well) - into the public domain so that new token design can work easily without having this question come up every time someone wants to create a new token.

Sure, you shouldn't modify existing tokens to meet your needs without permission, but apart from having the same dimensions for consistency's sake, most token designs should be fairly easy to do from scratch. Just need a blank template.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-15-2008 02:30 PM]
09-15-2008 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Sure, I'm happy to release some token template graphics. I'll find an appropriate place to post them.

Another idea, simpler than a token: in rooms where you want the trapdoors to come back each time you enter, just have a script with Restart on Room Entrance, and it builds the trapdoors where they should go.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-16-2008 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
icon Re: Trapdoor Reset Token (+1)  
TFMurphy wrote(I suggest something similar to the Conquer Token graphic, but using an R instead of a C)

Just a design point, but using letters on tokens is something that should probably be avoided. First off, it interferes with localization. Second, it undoes some of the benefit of using icons to begin with... in particular, using R here is problematic because even though it's a mnemonic for "reset", it doesn't say or show what's actually being reset. At a later point someone will probably want a token to reset something else and confusion will start to set in.

Using a T for Trapdoor is better, but using an icon of a trapdoor on a token circle would probably be best. This should work quite well for the RPG because the tiles are so much larger, and the token is not of much use in regular DROD (where the smaller size would be a bigger issue) because trapdoors reset there automatically.
09-26-2008 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Trapdoor Reset Token
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No