Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (With a new(I think) breakthrough....)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (+2)  
This is my first hold, so I'd like to see how well it is now before I screw up too much more....

At the moment the hold is up for beta testing...I invite everyone to see this hold!

Any comments, criticism, or downright insults are welcome...they will make the hold better.

I will update it as the hold progresses..

Thank you in advance!!! :thumbsup
*******************BETA TESTING IS OVER.  IF*********************
****************** YOU WANT THIS HOLD, HEAD *********************
******************OVER TO THE HOLD SECTION,**********************
************************* THANK YOU******************************

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 04-03-2004 at 11:12 PM GMT: Update of Hold]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 09-12-2004 at 11:27 PM GMT]

03-27-2004 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (0)  
Quick Change -

The file I attached in the message above gave no one permission to edit it except me....

This file allows anyone to edit this hold.

****Quick Note - From now one, all updated holds will be in the most recent post of mine. Thanks!***

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 03-28-2004 at 05:55 PM GMT: Notice of Updated Holds]

03-27-2004 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
icon Re: Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (+2)  
So far so good. Heres my comments:

Click here to view the secret text

Other than that it was a good hold, good job! :thumbsup
03-28-2004 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Build 002 is now out, changes include all of the ones posted above, plus....

Feel free to add more comments as you wish!!! :)

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-24-2004 at 03:29 PM GMT]

03-28-2004 at 02:41 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Alrighty... Heres round two of my blabbering :P

03-28-2004 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
One more Level!!!

I added level 7 to the 'DONE' list today

03-28-2004 at 06:44 PM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Good hold so far, here are my comments:

L2, 1S1E, you might consider putting a scroll warning not to kill the serpent before the other rooms have been done. Experience player will have guessed it but novice player may have to restore back that room after having completed one half of the branch.

Level 2, you can't reach to exit because of the yellow door in 1E.

Level 7, 1S4E is required yet leave to a secret level. Furthermore you can't leave that room because of the yellow door in 4E and thus can't leave the level through the normal stairs.

I much prefer the new L10, 2W. The end stairs on level 10 (the one blocked by the blue door) lead back to level 10.
03-28-2004 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Once you leave 1E on level 2 there is no way back to the entrance.
03-29-2004 at 01:45 AM
gamer_extreme_101
The new version just released includes all the fixes.

Only 2.8 more levels to finish!! :smile

03-30-2004 at 01:00 AM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
Although it's good to get rid of the old attachments, I would like to recommend editing the FIRST post in the thread and reattaching every update there, that way folks don't have to search through the thread to find the latest version, and all people have to do when you post a new version is go to the beginning of the thread, which may be less convenient for them, but if they're already looking for it, they're willing to put out that effort... I know I would be, but as someone who hasn't played the hold yet I may not be willing to go to the middle of page 3 to find it, especially if comments have gone to a page 4 so I have to go searching... Just some advice, do as you like... Keep up the creating, and I'll probably test this out if you keep updating, eventually... but I've got too many other things on my DROD agenda right now, but the swifter solvers will certainly appreciate it :)

03-30-2004 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Level 3, if you arrive at the exit before finishing/visiting all the other rooms, you can't get back through 1N, forcing a restore some way back.
04-02-2004 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
I have build 5
level 1
2e some green doors so you don't have to do the maze on the way back would be nice
level 2
1e you can kill the snakes by just standing behind the potion extend the passage 1 square and move the orb so you have to step on the potion to trigger it
2s1e you can kill all the snakes by just positioning the mimic and waiting add some force arrows so they have to stay in separate sections
level 3 ok
i would have probably scattered a couple wraithwings around
level 4 not ready?
level 5 nice design :)
1n1e very hard to make the snake go west good challenge
1n2e did you mean to force people to use the tar to kill the snake?
2e start the snake above the arrows so the player has to deal with it right now it just kills itself
level 6 nice design again :)
level 7 ok
level 10 ok

04-03-2004 at 08:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Okay...a quick update...I had been quite busy recently on a play and will continue to be busy...I had origionally hoped to have it ready by April 24(My Birthday!!!), but now i don't know. I guarantee, though, to have another level done soon.

Thanks go to all who commented!

04-04-2004 at 12:11 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (+1)  
I finished Level 4, and it has a perfect closure to it. I think someone else did a hold similar to this, and it kind of sparked the idea for me. (when I find the hold, I will give him proper credit for the idea)

If you want to see what it is, download the file. And again, thank you to all who beta tested the hold! You rule! :yay

04-13-2004 at 03:35 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Yeah, that's pretty cool. Just one point - using the editor, on later levels (eg 3 and above) you seem to have rooms beyond blue doors marked as required, so these doors cannot ever open.

"Oook!"
04-13-2004 at 10:48 AM
gds
Rank Points: 50
As pointed out already by krammer the blue doors will never drop on level 3 and 4 due to inaccessible rooms. Also on level 2 2S3E, the green door at the top does not prevent from entering the room above. Is this intentional.

The new level 4 is original. Here are a few problems:
-1S if entered from the north before the room has been beaten: you end up on a green door. It's not very elegant. You could move it down a bit.

- Leaving 2E by the west from the second exit from the top will force a restore if 1E hasn't been completed. That wouldn't be so bad if there was a savepoint in 2E. As it is the player may have to restart 2E. (On the other hand maybe he deserves it, he should remember it leads to a dead end)

-In 2E again, I count only 3 complete rectangles. Where's the fourth ?

- MLCI is not a valid roman numeral, 1051 is written MLI. MCLI (1151), MDCI (1601) or MXCI (1091) would also be valid.

04-13-2004 at 05:00 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Thank you GDS!

Most of the problems i found 10 minutes after uploading it (Ack!)

Thank you most for the Roman Numeral thing. It was ment to be 1151 but I screwed up. I will change it to something else though.

PS - Good News to all! Judging by the progress of the day, I think I may have a full beta copy avalible by tomorrow at the very earliest, and Thursday at the latest! I will point out that I have made changes in all the levels, so don't expect any of them to be the same. On the day of the release, I will be able to fix up all screw ups on my part to buy for a April 17 release! Rock on!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 04-13-2004 at 06:47 PM GMT: Good News!]

04-13-2004 at 06:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
ITS DONE

That's about all. I'd like all comments posted by the end of the week if possible. If anything is even questionable, please post it. All the things that we find wrong now will help people enjoy it in the future..

Before I go, I'd like to thank Stewy, gds, Scott, Drizzo, Bandit1200, swann_88, and krammer. You guys helped this hold reach higher!!! :thumbsup

Have fun!

04-14-2004 at 03:07 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Before I go, I'd like to thank Stewy, gds, Scott, Drizzo, Bandit1200, swann_88, and krammer. You guys helped this hold reach higher!!! :thumbsup
By higher do you mean deeper? :P

04-14-2004 at 04:21 AM
gamer_extreme_101
What I meant was that it added to the hold, which made some of the rooms HIGHER in difficulty and HIGHER in creativity.

04-14-2004 at 04:26 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Before Dugan's Dungeon.... (With a new(I think) breakthrough....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com