Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Scroll bar for scrolls
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
IP: Logged
icon Scroll bar for scrolls (0)  
Make a scroll bar for scrolls so when you read a scroll, you can scroll it :D

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

09-03-2008 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 235
icon Re: Scroll bar for scrolls (0)  
Or you could use arrow keys.

09-03-2008 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Vike91 wrote:
Then you must be able to change them on settings screen - I set arrows as movement.

09-03-2008 at 05:38 PM
Vike91
Rank Points: 235
rman wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
Then you must be able to change them on settings screen - I set arrows as movement.

I don't mean on num pad, i mean separate arrow keys

09-03-2008 at 05:44 PM
rman
Yes, they are were my movement keys.

[Last edited by rman at 02-01-2011 08:35 PM]
09-03-2008 at 06:01 PM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
rman wrote:
Yes, they are my movement keys.
You mean the seperate set of arrow keys? How do you move diagonnally?
09-03-2008 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Diagonal movement is still on numpad.

BTW, this thread is for discussing my FR, not my controls.

09-03-2008 at 07:39 PM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
Each to their own, but that seems really awkward to me. But like I said, everyone is different.

On topic, I agree this would be nice for a lengthy scroll. However, I don't think players really like to read through pages of text, especially on a scroll. But that's just my preferences; others might not mind so much.
09-03-2008 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Nice idea. Often you end up with huge swathes of scrolls when an architect wants to give plot details, or give credit to any contributors. Just having one scrollable scroll would be much neater.
09-08-2008 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
I'm fairly sure I've seen some scrolls that cut out before I can read all they say, so this may already be needed. Let me see if I can find an example real quick...

Yep.. the upper two scrolls in Malcolm Dave and Brock : Death By Goblins Level 4:9N appear to cut out mid word (in one case midletter) for me. So it looks like some existing holds already 'need' a way to scroll scrolls.

09-09-2008 at 12:43 AM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Beef Row wrote:
I'm fairly sure I've seen some scrolls that cut out before I can read all they say, so this may already be needed. Let me see if I can find an example real quick...
Isn't that caused by AE scrolls showing a bit more text than JtRH and TCB scrolls?

But yes, scrollbars would be nice. Or next page/previous page buttons, which should be easier to implement.

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-09-2008 08:35 AM]
09-09-2008 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I kind of imagine clicking the top and bottom of the scroll, like rolling it forwards or backwards.

09-09-2008 at 08:47 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Or cut-scenes/texts could be used to explain any in-depth information...
09-11-2008 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Scroll bar for scrolls (+1)  
I would like to bump this feature request since I occasionally find myself trying to put too much information on a scroll and am unable to do so. My solutions so far are either to try to be briefer in my explanation or use more scrolls. The first one stops being useful once the scroll is as succinct as possible and yet, more information must be communicated. The second does not work when short on space (scroll explanations for complex things in the RPG tend to suffer from this).

Yes, I know scripting speech can say everything necessary and take up virtually no space at all, but still, a scroll bar would be useful. In my humble opinion.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-01-2011 at 07:47 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1547
icon Re: Scroll bar for scrolls (+1)  
If the intended use is for lengthy explanations, credits lists etc, would it be better to just introduce a new 'big scroll' element that actually obscures the playfield when read? You could even go one step further and support text markup and embedded images.

There's a couple of ways you could build the interaction:
* Automatic popup, any key to close.
* Small scroll preview, 'wait' on the scroll to read the full text (the wait doesn't count as a move).

The latter would be less likely to interrupt people speed-keying, but would stop people waiting on that square. But it's the sort of element you wouldn't be using in the middle of a puzzle area anyway.

Personally I prefer scrolls to cutscenes for in-depth explanations; they're easier to refer to later and I can read stuff at my pace instead of the cutscene's.
02-02-2011 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tuttle wrote:
The latter would be less likely to interrupt people speed-keying, but would stop people waiting on that square. But it's the sort of element you wouldn't be using in the middle of a puzzle area anyway.
I have a hunch that exactly that is going to happen in one of the future war holds after implementation of such a feature... :lol

So yeah, no automatic pop-up, please.

02-02-2011 at 10:14 AM
DairmossX
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Briareos wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
I have a hunch that exactly that is going to happen in one of the future war holds after implementation of such a feature... :lol

So yeah, no automatic pop-up, please.

or, perhaps an option within the settings to choose exactly which version (pop-up vs scroll option) the player uses?
02-02-2011 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
I would appreciate a scrollbar as for whatever reason, text on scrolls renders differently for me so often text that fits on for other people doesn't fit for me.

No, I don't have an explanation right now. Something to do with fonts across platforms or something.
02-09-2011 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
coppro wrote:
I would appreciate a scrollbar as for whatever reason, text on scrolls renders differently for me so often text that fits on for other people doesn't fit for me.

No, I don't have an explanation right now. Something to do with fonts across platforms or something.
I have the same issue - the font seems bigger for me when running on Linux.

And I also think scrollbars would be the way to go
02-17-2011 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Scroll bar for scrolls
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes