Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : No rest for the wicked (Monsters that get resurrected once in a while.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Voidy
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon No rest for the wicked (+2)  
I have a thing for spawning monsters and their offsprings, so here's my idea for a new adversary I will refer to as..ahem..Deadsy

Now, your average Deadsy behaves like an ordinary roach or brained roach or golem. When killed, it leaves a pile of bones on the ground. The bones don't try to grab Beethro by his ankle or block his passage, but when the clock strikes twelve (or thirty) they rise as Deadsies again.

The player does not probably need to kill all Deadsies in the room to clear it. Or if he does, there should be another monster that is responsible for raising Deadsies. Also, if killing necromancer is not obligatory, there are vast possibilities for timed puzzles.

Comments?

09-01-2008 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: No rest for the wicked (0)  
I like this idea in its original form of leaving bones behind and rising back at 30. The only suggestion I have is that "Deadsies" treat bones like obstacles (maybe with the exception of killing Beethro standing on bones like seeps), because otherwise it becomes too complicated.

09-01-2008 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
I thought that bones are impassable...

Also these bones must be (edit: visually) different from the existing 'bones' obstacle. ;)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 09-01-2008 12:52 PM]
09-01-2008 at 12:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Voidy
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Maurog wrote:
The only suggestion I have is that "Deadsies" treat bones like obstacles (maybe with the exception of killing Beethro standing on bones like seeps), because otherwise it becomes too complicated.

Agreed. I can't think of a way to handle several Deadsies dying on the same square.

[Last edited by Voidy at 09-01-2008 12:36 PM]
09-01-2008 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
This would be, perhaps, silly, but I'm going to go with it.

Perhaps, to kill all Deadsies, you first have to combine them. That is, make their bones appear in one square, so when they respawn, there are fewer Deadsies. To fully kill, you must prevent them from spawning on turn 30. By monster on bones, self on bones, sword on bones, etc. If that happens, the monster dies.

09-01-2008 at 01:48 PM
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
zex20913 wrote:
This would be, perhaps, silly, but I'm going to go with it.

Perhaps, to kill all Deadsies, you first have to combine them. That is, make their bones appear in one square, so when they respawn, there are fewer Deadsies. To fully kill, you must prevent them from spawning on turn 30. By monster on bones, self on bones, sword on bones, etc. If that happens, the monster dies.

I like the necromancer idea. If you stop them from resurrecting by something standing on it, the just don't resurrect - they wait another 30th turn. However, I like the idea about removing a deadsie by killing it on bones.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

09-01-2008 at 01:59 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
zex20913 wrote:
Does the game backend even allow two monsters/NPCs/players in the same tile? If not this probably would require a bigger code change...

np: Contriva - Before (Separate Chambers)

09-01-2008 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Cool FR. :)
Briareos wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
Does the game backend even allow two monsters/NPCs/players in the same tile? If not this probably would require a bigger code change...
Two active monsters cannot physically occupy the same tile simultaneously, but the code doesn't have any problem with non-obstacle-type monsters overlapping, like invisible NPCs. I'd guess the same could go for these deadsies if they're not an obstacle. So far, I like the idea of getting rid of deadsies by killing them on an existing bone pile too.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-01-2008 08:25 PM]
09-01-2008 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The arrow next to the topic... does this mean it's confirmed for TSS (or 3.3)?

09-02-2008 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Pinnacle wrote:
The arrow next to the topic... does this mean it's confirmed for TSS (or 3.3)?
Nah, but it does mean I'm reminding myself to consider the puzzle aspects of this FR as new puzzle elements get added. I like them, but they may ultimately show up in a modified form.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-02-2008 06:43 PM]
09-02-2008 at 06:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : No rest for the wicked (Monsters that get resurrected once in a while.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com