Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Pause game !
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Pause game ! (0)  
Hey !
I'd love to see a feature to pause the game. I'm suprised no one came up with this idea so far.
After extensive session of "left right left right left right...." one could use some kind of break. Hand exercices, let your eyes rest a bit, this kind of thing... When the action becomes interesting, all those ideas racing thru my mind I sometimes have to stop playing just because my back/eyes/hands hurt. And I can't because just one second of misconcentration results in Beethro's death.
Not trying to sound rude, but it's not fair. Please do something about it. :angry

I understand that most players would probably abuse it just by pausing the game so they can plan their moves carefully without worrying about time and monsters.... So to give fair players equal chance, make it so pausing the game turns the screen black. It shouldn't be too hard to code. -_-

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-20-2004 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Pause game ! (0)  
b0rsuk wrote:
I'd love to see a feature to pause the game. I'm suprised no one came up with this idea so far.
I came up with this idea a while back...but I don't really see the point. The game is effectively paused while you're not pressing any keys.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-20-2004 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
as one who has paused for a break, and accidentally hit a key and died horribly in the midst of a level (on webfoot too) a pause would be nice if it weren't more than a few minutes of work, just something that makes it so you can't accidentally kill yourself, although nothing is that quick, eh?

03-20-2004 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Pause game ! (+1)  
Drizzo wrote:
as one who has paused for a break, and accidentally hit a key and died horribly in the midst of a level (on webfoot too) a pause would be nice if it weren't more than a few minutes of work, just something that makes it so you can't accidentally kill yourself, although nothing is that quick, eh?
Sure, that makes sense. How about F6?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-20-2004 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
I think this suggestion is a throwback to Webfoot, when you could choose between purely strategic play with no time limit on moves, or a setting where after so long (20 seconds?) the game would assume that you meant to press 5, and do so for you. Given that not pressing any keys means time stops, with no auto-5 mode in Caravel, I'm sorry to say that I don't really see the point in this feature request.

03-20-2004 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I fail to see any point to a pause as the game isn't moving unless you press a key. If you need to take a break and don't want time to keep running for demos just esc back to the menu.
03-20-2004 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I did forget the menu function accomplishes the safety lockdown feature currently, I just recall from when I was in college playing the webfoot version, I'd have visitors come by all the time, and force me to be social for a bit, during which time a pause feature would have been nice, despite the fact I never used the timed mode.. I haven't played Caravel for nearly as long, or around other people, to be used to the applications of features like the menu. I withdraw my support for this feature, and instead would like to offer my support for an electric shock mode, where your computer zaps you every time you die like an idiot. thank you and have a nice day.

03-20-2004 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
I can't believe someone actually believes I'm serious ! It was meant a joke, and a pretty dumb one. -_-

03-21-2004 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
...so we should all mod you down for it? :D

I think it's actually a fairly good idea, so you can't kill yourself if you hit the wrong key.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-21-2004 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Feel free. It would be justified.

03-24-2004 at 08:41 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Pause game !
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com