Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Ridiculous Speculation Topic (In which we reveal the true path to be taken by the future development of DROD!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
IP: Logged
icon Ridiculous Speculation Topic (+1)  
OK, recently I gained the power to operate computers long-distance with the power of my mind. This allowed me to play the current (incomplete) version of DROD: JtRH! Here is the information I have gathered:

There is a new tar-like medium that looks sorta like brown soup. It doesn't produce tar babies, but it's got bubbles in it that can't be cut under certain situations. I forget what, it's quite complicated.

New enemy: the flying grey troll thing.

Level 16 is a shopping centre. It's more ominous than it sounds, though, because there are these three weird figures suspended above a hole in the middle. One of the shops is actually the drod.net forum in disguise. The metapuzzle in this level (involving getting down to the lower floor of the shopping centre: it's still level 16, levels have sublevels now) stumped me and I actually posted on the Hints and Solutions forum for advice and got answered by Erik. (You have to use one of the snakes). The post seems to have been deleted now, though; I don't know why.

All the music is from Brave Fencer Musashi. I don't know who's responsible for this, whether it be Emmett or one of the other developers, but it sucks. Change it.

Towards the end of the game, you have to climb up a tower with water all around it.

Best regarderarderards
- Mason Jason

03-19-2004 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Ridiculous Speculation Topic (0)  
OMG! I found a 1.7 beta! At this site:

Parts of this message have been deleted by the moderators

In my opinion, fix Level 1: 1s2e. It has so much ketchup that the puppies won't hound Beethro even when all the ketchup is gone (i think this is a bug).

[Edited by Schik on 03-19-2004 at 9:55 PM GMT: Somebody send thugs to his house]

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 03-20-2004 at 06:30 AM GMT: I'm on it.]

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-19-2004 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
So far, my favorite part was when Beethro's hair gets caught in the accursed pigtails, and he must battle the hordes of nazis in order to find the blessed anti-scrunchy of power. It took me so long to figure out 2n21w with the 9 robo-hitlers and the tar mines between the non-cooperative force arrows, avoiding the zyklon-b rays while being forced to rotate your sword in place in nigh impossible, but if you're really efficient and drop the trapdoors just right, it can be done.

03-19-2004 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Aha! I caught the link in Drizzo's post before Schik wiped it, it's here:

Parts of this message have been deleted by the moderators

My thoughts:

Level 1 definitely does have way too much ketchup. The mustard was a nice effect though, totally unexpected

Level 38 (thank you anyone-edit) has too many Frumpys. Seriously. I mean, the Vorpal Bunnies are interesting enough, but they just don't interact well with that many Frumpys. I might recommend adding a couple more Beady Eyes, but that's just my opinion.

In general, the graphics have been improved, but I think the tile size should be upped once more to 59x59, so you can have symmetry in the Globulites, which are only 45x45 themselves.

Also, I like the new whoosh sound. Just... wow, it's spectacular.

[Edited by Schik on 03-19-2004 at 10:31 PM GMT: Hired goons, where are you?]

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 03-20-2004 at 06:31 AM GMT: I don't know, I called them like 3 hours ago and they're still not here. It's slack is what it is.]

03-19-2004 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
I disagree. The Frumpys are challenging and fun, especially when they do their victory dance.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-19-2004 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
The Frumpys take a while to get used to, but there's an easy way to deal with them.
Click here to view the secret text

03-19-2004 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Oh, don't get me wrong: I like the Frumpys. But 1500 in one room? I mean, there has got to be a limit in there somewhere.

03-19-2004 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
You see, there's an easy solution to 5n, if that was the room you meant.

03-19-2004 at 09:56 PM
DiMono
I think your version is corrupted, there's no nuke potion under there. Just some crappy invisibility potion, but the Beady Eyes can see you anyway, and the beams they fire sort of sting.

On another note, though, I did find the Superdisk on level 17. Very clever, guys, good job hiding that. I had to

03-21-2004 at 12:14 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Yeah. But the part I liked best was for sure was all the new types of tar. They even included hyper-active tar, tar babies that act like changelings, and tar that moves and kills Beethro.

The Flow was a big dissapointment, though.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-21-2004 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
icon Re: Ridiculous Speculation Topic (+1)  
Yeah, all it did was... flow. Not much fun in that.
But I liked level 12, where you could capture the Flow, put it in a watering-can, and use it to spray enemies into oblivion from up to three squares away.

03-21-2004 at 10:44 AM
Nillo
DiMono wrote:
there's no nuke potion under there.
Oh, I forgot to mention that

To all of you who did'nt get the link before, PM me and I'll send it over.

03-21-2004 at 11:00 AM
Drizzo
Wow! did you folks get the update added last night?
Right here
you can find the patch for Chainsaw mode and the Kuala Lumpur tileset! I recommend updating immediately! I think the sound effects with the chainsaw could use a little modification, to give it that TCM sound of an old dirty chainsaw, because right now the engine sounds like its too clean running and isn't nearly menacing enough.

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-29-2004 at 08:42 PM GMT]

03-29-2004 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
I tried that patch out yesterday, and had to uninstall it after it crashed my linux box. Man, was unlocking the Taj Mahal Code ever a mistake...

03-30-2004 at 02:42 AM
Drizzo
Oh, well if you used that link, no wonder you ran into problems, the crack on that linux patch was in error, and the webmaster hasn't had a chance to update it... try this one

03-30-2004 at 02:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Ridiculous Speculation Topic (In which we reveal the true path to be taken by the future development of DROD!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com