Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Testing poll (Which consoles do you own?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which consoles do you own?
PC
Xbox
Gamecube
Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Super Nintendo
Commodore 64
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Testing poll (0)  
Testin' with multiple selections.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-09-2004 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
icon Re: Testing poll (0)  
I've got 4 PCs a gamecube and 2 GBCs :D
03-09-2004 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
I've got a PC, an Xbox and a Gameboy Advance, but I have access to a Playstation 2 as well.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-09-2004 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
What? No Nintendo 64 in the list?

03-09-2004 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I like how 9 out of the 10 votes have PCs. The 10th person must have voted with their mind.

03-09-2004 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Or the 10th person voted on someone else's computer.

03-09-2004 at 11:20 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I have a Commodore A600 as well as what I voted for, but I don't think it comes under the same category as a "Commodore 64" (Whatever that is), so I didn't include it.

03-09-2004 at 11:56 PM
zzyzx
Rank Points: 74
No Atari? :) Come now, between Asteroids, Pac-man, Maze Craze and Freeway (the latter two were fun with friends), it's got to be in there.
03-10-2004 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Testing poll (+1)  
Yeah, you also left out a bunch of important stuff, like NES!
:thumbsdown :evilmad:

The best hold in the world!
03-10-2004 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
zzyzx wrote:
No Atari? :) Come now, between Asteroids, Pac-man, Maze Craze and Freeway (the latter two were fun with friends), it's got to be in there.

Pitfall! *fishslap* How can you forget about pitfall!

and like Skwerl said... NES, seriously.... I mean Atari, and Coleco Vision may have been some of the first (I never had the 2600 but I was awesome at Smurfs on Coleco Vision) but Nintendo brought it to a whole new level. I STILL would play Zelda on mine if it hadn't gone defunct... I beat that game so many times... I got to the point where I could beat both quests w/out dying... I used to compete against time for the first quest, but alas, I have no idea how quick I got it... pretty damn fast though...

03-10-2004 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
My old console tech is insane. I have a ColecoVision with the special controllers for the baseball game, whatever it was called, I have a pair of TI99/4A's lying around somewhere, with the Speech Expansion unit (or whatever it was called), a stack of 10 old PCs to go with my 3 usable ones, a genuine bonafide XTerminal, one of the original IBM Portable Computers (I think I have King's Quest on it), and somewhere I have a V-Server.

I remember at one point my brother would record the sounds from his game of Parsec on the ColecoVision, and then I'd play through it and try to recreate the same sounds at the same time, it was pretty... silly.

I have only one more thing to say about the Coleco Vision:

HUNT THE WUMPUS!

Edit: Drizzo, I just realised what your avatar is. That's priceless!

[Edited by DiMono on 03-10-2004 at 04:23 PM GMT]

03-10-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (0)  
I've got a PC, a PlayStation 2, and a Commodore 64. Both my PC and my PS2 is running Linux, and the C64 has a Action Replay cart, 2 mb ram expansion, expanded expansion thingie, heavy-duty power supply, 3,5" 1.6mb disk drive, s-video connectors, and a few other goodies (it doesn't have a SuperCPU, though). I love that thing.

... what ?

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 03-10-2004 at 04:19 PM GMT: forgot c64 s-video]
03-10-2004 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I've got a PC, PS2, and C64 as well. My PS2 mostly just runs DDR2Max. ;)

My C64 is just a stock C64 with the good ol' 1541 floppy drive. POKE 53280, 0 anyone? That C64 is where I started programming, first by typing in programs from magazines and modifying them, then finally by creating my own programs from scratch. I programmed a lot more on our C128 though - it's BASIC was much more advanced than the C64 BASIC, except the graphics calls were SLOW. I remember there being a command to draw a circle, and it was so slow you could watch the circle being drawn. I was very happy when I wrote my own circle function that performed much better. :)

03-10-2004 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (+1)  
Schik wrote:
I've got a PC, PS2, and C64 as well. My PS2 mostly just runs DDR2Max. ;)
I mostly use mine for PS2 games as well, to tell the truth :)

My C64 is just a stock C64 with the good ol' 1541 floppy drive. POKE 53280, 0 anyone?
The real magic lies in 53265 ($d011)! The amount of bugs (features!) crammed into that single register is somewhere around... infinite, I think. With it, you can create new graphics modes, break all kinds of hardware limits, put stuff in the borders, etc etc...

That C64 is where I started programming, first by typing in programs from magazines and modifying them, then finally by creating my own programs from scratch. I programmed a lot more on our C128 though - it's BASIC was much more advanced than the C64 BASIC, except the graphics calls were SLOW. I remember there being a command to draw a circle, and it was so slow you could watch the circle being drawn. I was very happy when I wrote my own circle function that performed much better. :)
That's how I started as well, although I didn't have a C128. I didn't like the speed of BASIC either, and then one day someone i was swapping with offered to teach me assembly. It went downhill from there. And let me tell you, C64 assembly is great fun! You should try it :P

- Gerry
03-10-2004 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
trick wrote:
And let me tell you, C64 assembly is great fun! You should try it :P
I did a fair amount in assembly on my C64. I made a simple 3d engine in assembly - flat shading only, but hey, it worked. But the only thing I really did with that engine was make a cube spin.

03-10-2004 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Schik wrote:
I did a fair amount in assembly on my C64. I made a simple 3d engine in assembly - flat shading only, but hey, it worked. But the only thing I really did with that engine was make a cube spin.
Hey, great! We should do a coop demo some time ;)

(Oh, and sorry for hijacking the topic.)

- Gerry
03-10-2004 at 05:14 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
When I was an undergrad I took an electronics class where we build up a processor on a breadboard, then programmed it using assembly language and had to use an oscilloscope as the monitor. I tried to get an Etch-a-Sketch type program to work. It failed, but I got farther than most people in the class on my project so my grade wasn't in jeapordy. I seem to recall that in a previous year someone got a Pong-type game to work.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2004 at 05:19 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
That's another thing missing from the poll: A Pong Machine! When I was at Waterloo, someone brought an original Pong to the caf and plugged it in to the 50" TV, and we played it all night.

Oh, and bonus points to anyone who knows what a Wumpus is.

03-10-2004 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Gimme those points! I think bats are the most evil creatures ever. On one hand it's darn near impossible to find the Wumpus and move fast without them, and on the other hand you tend to be dropped onto pits and/or the wumpus.

The wumpus was a mythical beast that lived in caverns/a maze/whatever that had to be killed by a young man as a rite of passage.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-11-2004 at 04:42 AM
trick
A friend of mine got his hands on an original pong console once. It was fun playing with that little controlwheel :) . Sadly, after some time playing the thing exploded and filled the room with smoke. We weren't hurt, except in our hearts ;)

- Gerry
03-11-2004 at 12:09 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Um... Trick? Do you use Mozilla? Because the subjects of all your messages before that one were "Re: Vote for the Five-Suite Speaking Grounds #3".

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-11-2004 at 05:13 PM
trick
joker5 wrote:
Um... Trick? Do you use Mozilla? Because the subjects of all your messages before that one were "Re: Vote for the Five-Suite Speaking Grounds #3".
Huh. That's weird. Yeah, I use Mozilla (Firebird while I posted those, but I've upgraded to Firefox now).

- Gerry
03-11-2004 at 08:55 PM
SKWERLL
Didn't Apple][s run a lot of stuff back in the 70s and 80s? Oh yeah, what's a contol wheel? Is it like a steering wheel, or is it like those scroll-wheel thingies on iPods?

03-20-2004 at 09:01 PM
SKWERLL
I know this would probably be better in the ASCII drawing thread, but this topic is now coming back from the dead and near dead:
    |  |   game |      |
    |   \\   cube  /     |
    |    \\______/     |
    |________________|

04-16-2004 at 01:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Testing poll (Which consoles do you own?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com