Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : DROD tendency
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon DROD tendency (0)  
This is very strange...but how many of us are involved in something math based? I\'m a pure math guy, and I know a couple of other people here are too, and I just heard about a physicist, and coders fall into this category too...just something I\'d like to know.

04-16-2003 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DROD tendency (0)  
Well, I imagine I am the physicist you are referring to, but I will stand up and be re-counted again anyway. My housemate is also a physicist (we\'re both grad students) but although he plays video games too he really isn\'t into puzzle games like I am sometimes.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-16-2003 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I\'m still in high school, but I\'ll be attending college next year (see my sig below) and I\'ll be majoring in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, which will involve lots of math and physics (my two favorite classes).

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-17-2003 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I hate maths myself. I was ok with it at school but not something I would ever touch again.
04-17-2003 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I\'m a formal linguist... Whether anything I do has anything to do with actual math depends a lot on who you ask...

04-17-2003 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Re: DROD tendency (0)  
eytanz wrote:
I\'m a formal linguist... Whether anything I do has anything to do with actual math depends a lot on who you ask...
What does a formal linguist do?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-17-2003 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Well I\'m still at school but I\'m going science-y next year - Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, German and Physics.

So yes, another maths person among the DROD crowd.

"Oook!"
04-17-2003 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Who here has no interest in math?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-17-2003 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
mrimer wrote:
Who here has no interest in math?

Well, it\'s certainly not me: I love maths!

And I absolutely love the sciences... absolutely fascinating!

Just out of interest, does anyone here have an interest in mycology? - I don\'t know why, but I seem to have a weird attraction to fungi.

Oh, well, just a little ramble...

04-17-2003 at 09:08 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Back in high school, I was the big math geek of the school - we had these MOML (Missouri Math League) tests - 6 questions on each test, 6 tests a year - and my junior year I think I got the 5th highest total in the state.

04-18-2003 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Schik wrote:
Back in high school, I was the big math geek of the school - we had these MOML (Missouri Math League) tests - 6 questions on each test, 6 tests a year - and my junior year I think I got the 5th highest total in the state.
That\'s cool! It looks like you\'re the man for the job!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-18-2003 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD tendency (0)  
Malarame wrote:
eytanz wrote:
What does a formal linguist do?

Well, I\'m a graduate student studying generative linguistics - specializing in semantics. Which means I mainly try to figure out the logical structure of natural language.

04-19-2003 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
logic = math... this is kinda creepy

04-19-2003 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Back when I was in highschool, by the way, I hated math. I was good at it - I got the highest score in my class in the finals - but I didn\'t enjoy it at all.

But I don\'t see the fact that many DROD players have a math affinity as very surprising - DROD is a very structured game, which is mastered by learning behavior patterns and being able to calculate them ahead. It stands to reason that it will appeal to people who enjoy analytical passtimes.

04-19-2003 at 11:46 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Strange... we have CML here (Continental Math League). I don\'t know if that means it\'s more widespread or what, but there are six questions on each test and I think we have six per year. I myself do like math, but it takes me a looooooooooooooooong time to process it, so I don\'t score really high on timed tests like that. I\'m very good at math concepts (i.e. the \"logical\" part of it, what a big surprise). I stink at basic skills like multiplication and division so I must use a calculator, but I understand a lot more about math than anybody in my class (not to disgrace my fellow students). So basically, I do almost always get the right answers, but 5 times slower than anyone ever wants me to. ;)

04-20-2003 at 04:00 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: DROD tendency (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Well, I\'m a graduate student studying generative linguistics - specializing in semantics. Which means I mainly try to figure out the logical structure of natural language.

eytanz, have you ever played any of the Smart Games Challenge games? www.smartgames.com) They are a collection of puzzle games, a combination of logic, word, and math games. The first collection has a game called Native Tongue, where they show you pictures of various objects and then have the word for that object in the \"foreign\" language underneath it. Then the player has to translate an English word into the other language based on the clues. At first it is simple, just figuring out which picture is a bird, for example, but it gets more difficult quickly, as you have to figure out the way the other language does plurals, adjectives, and verbs, and where they go in a sentence. And you have to keep notes of previous puzzles because the vocabulary is continuously going. There are only eight stages but they get really hard really fast, and it is pretty interesting. The first collection is only $10 now, which is a pretty good deal. It runs on anything Windows 3.1 and up. Collections 2 and 3 are more expensive (kind of unreasonably so, since they are so old), but they have some great games too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2003 at 07:25 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Smart Games Challenge is awesome... I\'ve played 1 and 3, both excellent. There are some really really tough ones in there. I would have grabbed 2, but I never saw it anywhere.

I got them from bargain-bins at Best Buy or somewhere similar - you\'re right, the prices they show online are pretty steep. Then again, if you play everything, there are uncountable hours of gameplay.

04-21-2003 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I would highly suggest you try to find 2 somewhere, perhaps E-bay, if you liked 1 and 3 so much. #2 has one of the best games they ever included, I don\'t remember the name of it, something like \"Sound Bites\". Similar to the \"Stepping Tones\" of #3. In this one, there is a blank line or two at the top of the screen, and at the bottom, there are a bunch of waveforms. Each waveform is a sound bite of a famous speech or piece of classical music. Some of them have been reversed, and sometimes the pieces are just colors without a waveform. You have to put them in the correct order, and sometimes there are extra pieces to throw you off. A great puzzle to be sure. I think I also liked the trivia game in #2 a lot.

Game on,

04-21-2003 at 10:55 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I\'m a former Math major, I also majored in Philosophy with an emphasis in logic. Been working in computer support for over 5 years and I\'m currently looking for a new job that\'ll keep me in the same math/tech realm.

It\'s hard to believe a bunch of mathematicians/ computer programmers/ scientists/ etc. would all be drawn to the hardest and best puzzle game out there for the computer.:)

BTW, my uncle was a math professor and wrote an entire series of math books- and is a large influence on why I went to major in math. Yesterday I downloaded DROD for his grandkids (8&10 yrs. old) that he takes care of and they seem to enjoy the easy levels so far- if they grow up to mathematicians now my uncle will have me to thank.:)

04-22-2003 at 06:22 AM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
I do well in math, science, and I\'m learning to become a computer programmer... so there you go!
04-23-2003 at 02:23 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I'm also good at math and science, and I'm interested in computer works. Sometimes, when I give scientific explanations, my parents call me "Mr. Science." :D

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 07-23-2003 at 04:01 AM GMT: Emoticon]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-23-2003 at 04:00 AM
noman
Rank Points: 104
I'm a technician in my family: I love maths and hate laguages!!

I also love all the subjects in my school, that have to do with electronics or computertechnologies. I had to do a test for our military(some great shit) and there i got all points in "Pattern recognition, Combination, Maths, but only 35% in dexterty. Maybe thatswhy i often press the false button in drod(which leads to death).

noman

08-17-2003 at 09:26 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : DROD tendency
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes