Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : My First Attempt at a real room. (Try it out please!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
IP: Logged

File: Room wasnt built in a day.hold (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Other
icon My First Attempt at a real room. (0)  
So I designed my first room today, it should be reasonably fun, I've tested it out, and it works, although there may be some trivial solution, although I worked on that for a while too... regardless, I'd appreciate it if you folks would DL it and try it out, tell me if it's too hard, too easy, too tedious, too ugly or any other constructive feedback, or flamings... or even if you found it fun.

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-06-2004 at 12:21 PM GMT: stupid crumbly wall was left in]

03-06-2004 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
icon Re: My First Attempt at a real room. (0)  
In the future I will not be posting single rooms, assuming you guys give me enough encouragement to actually wanna take the time to make something larger, but I wanted to make sure all was at least working kinda right.
For anybody who may be having trouble with this room
Click here to view the secret text

03-06-2004 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
Not bad, not bad.
You could enter it in the one-room contest.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-06-2004 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
that I could, but I'd have to modify it to fit the criteria, and I think it lacks something in the subtlety department that One Horse Town is full of... at least I didn't get a "Go back to Crash Bandicoot!" thanks for my first feedback, not quite as in depth as I was hoping...

03-06-2004 at 08:03 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: My First Attempt at a real room. (+2)  
Ok, I finished it, and I'm not sure it quite came off as complicated as you intended. The only part I really found puzzly was the very beginning, then it was all moving the mimic around, and there wasn't any action that wasn't more or less obvious.

Definitely don't go back to Crash Bandicoot, though, your thought processes are willingness to work with complexity are very encouraging.

The thing (well, a thing) to keep in mind throughout making a room is -- ok, what could the player theoretically get tripped up on at this point? Is there any way I could misdirect him or her? You know how multiple choice quizzes have wrong answers that try to reflect what people do wrong? (like, if the question is 24 x 52, you won't have 2321.42 + 23i as a possible answer) Try putting some of that in your rooms. Even if you try a large-scale combat room (not my favorite, but theoretially) try and think which strategies are good and which are bad, and if you could make the bad ones look more appealing (yet have them still be bad).

Sorry if this is a little rambly, but it's 1:30 am. Ask again if you need more feedback.

[Edited by jdyer on 03-06-2004 at 08:37 AM GMT]
03-06-2004 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
icon Re: My First Attempt at a real room. (+1)  
I much appreciate the more indepth feedback...
when I was creating the room my intention was that all the mimics actions would be taken care of by the time you got to the invisibility potion............. the fact that you said there was too much random mimic movement means you didn't respond to my threats as I intended...
When I created the room I wanted something where you could practically ignore Beethro and just do what the mimic was supposed to do as efficiently as possible and then the battle would take care of itself, although I had to keep the pressure on at times in order to prevent someone from wandering off and making the board easy and or boring... alas, I didn't make it dangerous enough... when you do the board as it was intended the way to the first checkpoint is really pretty,though; you average about 1.6 kills a turn =)

(totally off topic, but I was checking the forum in between stage 1 and 2 of claythro's tower, and right after posting this played the entrance to stage 2 and I just wanted to give huge respect to that stage, that made me smile so much. So far the tower is vicious, but I wish I could make stages that pretty.)

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-06-2004 at 09:13 AM GMT: props to Claythro]

03-06-2004 at 09:09 AM
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
If you want to make people acally do it then get rid of the crumbly wall
03-06-2004 at 10:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Oh, actually, I forgot about that, I meant to take it out... or do something with it... it was kinda intended so you could go backwards through the room... but I realized shortly after I put it in that it messed with the room but I got distracted with other changes...
Now that I'm trying to look at it from a non-creator POV, it does make the whole damn room really easy... gonna UL a version w/out, and anyone who's dl'd it already, umm.... evaluate the room as if it weren't there?

03-06-2004 at 12:20 PM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
it was interesting
is there supposed to be a finish point
or is just completing the room what you intended?
everything is dead the red door is open but if this was part of a larger level I would not be able to leave the room to go on
03-06-2004 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
There's a 2 square wide passage at the top...
if you did the stage right, you should be able to get there easily...

03-06-2004 at 06:00 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
You might want to make it impossible to go out through the top without completing the room. I tried it just to see what was there and I had to delete the hold and import it again to carry on playing.
03-06-2004 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Restore didn't work?
Hmm... Is it because of the baddies in the entryway?
The next rooms I build will be much more organized... I was just trying to bite off a huge task with little knowledge or the operating system.

Has anyone managed to get the mimic to the end of his route at the same time as the invisibility potion was grabbed (well there's a couple trapdoors left) or even better, just ended up doing it that way, because that's really what I was intending...

03-07-2004 at 12:42 AM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
ok I went back
and I must have done something different because now the yellow door is open
good luck with your 3rd room :)

Drizzo wrote:
I much appreciate the more indepth feedback...
give him a point! thats what they are for :thumbsup

[Edited by swann_88 on 03-07-2004 at 02:40 AM GMT]
03-07-2004 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : My First Attempt at a real room. (Try it out please!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com