Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Eleventh Hour Competition.
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Eleventh Hour Competition. (+1)  
Yeah, you've been living in your smitemaster's paradise, but now it's time to prove your skills and collect respect. You may think you got the moves, but it's entirely different game when we put the pressure on. Next Saturday, March 6th, 11am Pacific Standard Time, a hold will be released. And I mean eleven hundred hours exactly. We will synchronize with an atomic clock that Crampy's got down in the basement. The hold will be released at this URL...

http://www.drod.net/files/ContestHold.hold

Click the above URL right now and you'll get a missing file error (404), and at 10:59 3/6 you'll still be getting that error. But when the eleventh hour turns, you'll see that familiar dialog asking where you want to save your file. Don't dawdle--dump the hold file onto your drive, import it into DROD, and start playing straight away! The first person to get through this difficult hold authored by Clayton Weiss will win the contest and get one item of his or her choosing from the DROD Store. You should set aside three hours of your time to hack your way through it. From our testing, we figure it could take that long to win.

How do we know you've won? Post the secret word in a reply to this topic. You won't know the secret word unless you beat the hold or cheat. To ensure that nobody wins by cheating, we also ask that you upload a full set of victory demos within 15 minutes of posting the secret word. The time of the secret word posting will be used to determine who completed the hold first, but posting victory demos is also required.

Early Preparations

Here are some things you can do early to have a better chance of winning.

1. Play some of the harder holds available. Clayton's hold is quite difficult, and you want to be ready for it. A well-rounded skillset is crucial, so if you've always avoided a certain type of challenge (i.e. tar maneuvering, efficient combat with many monsters) now would be a good time to revisit these and learn a few things.
2. Make sure you are familiar with how to import holds into the game.
3. Practice exporting victory demos and putting them into a ZIP or RAR archive to post here. You don't have to be incredibly fast with this--just make sure you could do it within 15 minutes. It would be very sad to lose solely because you don't know how demo exporting work.

Ten O'Clock Preparations

Right before the contest hold is released, here are some more things to do:

1. You must enable recording of victory demos for the competition or it is impossible for you to win.
2. Synch the clock you will be using to an accurate timesource. If you are six minutes fast, that's six minutes of boring refreshes waiting for us to put the file up. If you are six minutes slow, well... what if one of the other contestants completed the hold just five minutes before you? The horror!
3. Close other programs that might slow down DROD. Run it fullscreen for best performance. Set key repeat settings to suit you.
4. Start a reply to this post. As soon as you know the secret word, put it in the body of the message and hit "Send Message". You never know--being five seconds earlier than the next guy could make all the difference.
5. Don't refresh this topic or forum pages to get the file. Specifically, I planned this so we wouldn't get a terrible server load that would slow everything down. A good way to be ready for the file release--at 11:59, type in the above URL in the address or URL area of your browser and continue refreshing about once every five seconds until you get the file download. Dialup and low-bandwidth people don't sweat it--these hold files are tiny and will be across the wire in seconds.

The Left-Me-Outs

11am PST might be three hours after your bedtime. It might be when you are driving to work. I realize that some people won't be able to make it, but we must pick one time for the contest, and 11am PST is the best time according to our web statistics. I wouldn't mind organizing a second contest (maybe 11pm) at a different time after we see how this one does.

Victory Demos

Let me say it one more time: You must enable recording of victory demos for the competition or it is impossible for you to win. If it isn't clear why, please reread the above and ask questions as needed. I don't want anyone getting upset because they think they should have won, but failed to meet this requirement.

-Erik

03-01-2004 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Eleventh Hour Competition. (+1)  
How does one convert from PST to GMT? I'm not really considering entering, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering...

Oh, and can we place bets on who we think might win? ;)

"Oook!"
03-01-2004 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Eleventh Hour Competition. (0)  
krammer wrote:
How does one convert from PST to GMT?
The Pacific coast is eight hours behind Greenwich.
I'm not really considering entering, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering...
Aw man, I'm not scaring people off already, am I? Come on, who's up for the challenge?
Oh, and can we place bets on who we think might win? ;)
Heh. Sure, just don't use real currency.

-Erik

03-01-2004 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
Aw man, I'm not scaring people off already, am I? Come on, who's up for the challenge?

I can't do it as of now- I should be in bed then.

I suppose I could sneak down at 2:55 a.m. in the morning, but I don't think I could play DROD if I'm that tired and I'd probably get caught.

The problem with your time is that it leaves most of Europe out of the contest. Would it be possible to move the time forward 7 or 8 hours so that we could also be awake enough to stand up to the challenge? Or are we Europeans in such time zones in a significant minority?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 03-01-2004 at 11:01 PM GMT]

03-01-2004 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
agaricus5 wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:

I suppose I could sneak down at 2:55 a.m. in the morning, but I don't think I could play DROD if I'm that tired and I'd probably get caught.

You're counting the wrong way - England is 8 hours ahead of PST, so 11am = 7pm, not 3am.

Europe is fine; it's Australians and East-Asians who are going to be in trouble.

Eytan

03-01-2004 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:

You're counting the wrong way - England is 8 hours ahead of PST, so 11am = 7pm, not 3am.

Europe is fine; it's Australians and East-Asians who are going to be in trouble.

Eytan
Oops!

I can't count when I don't stop to think.

I really need some more sleep. :)

03-01-2004 at 11:30 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
What's the time in Central Time?

To make it a bit more fair, do you think that we could time ourselves and then post how many minutes we used? I'm pretty sure nobody would cheat, but...then...

Perhaps we could have a program that tells you how long we play it for? Do you think you could rig up something that we could do online?

And are there runner-up prizes?

I am *definitely* going for this contest.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-02-2004 at 12:11 AM
ErikH2000
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
What's the time in Central Time?
Well, I'm not going to do every timezone, so here is a general procedure for anyone who has trouble figuring it out. PST is eight hours behind GMT, so the contest is held at 19:00 or 7pm GMT. I convert to GMT, because that's a reference point for timezones. Maybe I should have posted the time in GMT in the first place, but I am an Erik-centric kind of guy.

In Windows, you can go to the control panel and open up the "Date/Time" applet. Click the "time zone" tab. It will describe your time zone like "(GMT -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)". Subtract the first number from the GMT time of the contest start (7pm) and you learn that the contest begins 1PM Central Time. If you were living in Amsterdam, then your timezone would be "(GMT +01:00)" and you would add one hour to the GMT time to learn that the contest begins at 8pm locally.
To make it a bit more fair, do you think that we could time ourselves and then post how many minutes we used? I'm pretty sure nobody would cheat, but...then...
Nope, people still might cheat. Plus, having everyone compete simultaneously is much more dramatic.
Perhaps we could have a program that tells you how long we play it for? Do you think you could rig up something that we could do online?
In the future, maybe, but not for this contest.
And are there runner-up prizes?
I'm not going to offer runner-up prizes, sorry. In the future, if we have more participation in contests, I'll consider it.
I am *definitely* going for this contest.
That's good news! We have a contender!

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 12:39 AM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:

It's probably the only sort of contest I can enter - all the others require too much planning from me - I get left behind because I try to make everything complicated. Count me in! (That is, of course, if I don't have to do anything else then.)

03-02-2004 at 12:45 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
It's probably the only sort of contest I can enter - all the others require too much planning from me - I get left behind because I try to make everything complicated. Count me in! (That is, of course, if I don't have to do anything else then.)
Yeah, I'm aiming for variety in the contests so we give different people a chance to participate. Glad you're signing up.

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 12:53 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
5am my time. Will be asleep.
03-02-2004 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
ErikH2000 wrote:
... and you learn that the contest begins 1PM Central Time.

Great! Perfect! I think that's the best time it could possibly be!

03-02-2004 at 02:14 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
You know, if this contest were to start on sunday instead of saturday, I'd be able to enter. Unfortunately, it's being released at a time when I'll be in a highly relevant business meeting, and then need to drive for two hours before running a karaoke show. I'd enter if I had the time, but...

By the way, can you tell us how many levels and/or rooms the hold will be? So we can have some sort of idea how long it should take to play?

03-02-2004 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
You know, if this contest were to start on sunday instead of saturday, I'd be able to enter. Unfortunately, it's being released at a time when I'll be in a highly relevant business meeting, and then need to drive for two hours before running a karaoke show. I'd enter if I had the time, but...
Sorry, you can't make it, DiMono. I'm staying firm on my time because if I change it for some people, then another set of people won't be able to enter. In other words, you can't please all the people all the time. ;)
By the way, can you tell us how many levels and/or rooms the hold will be? So we can have some sort of idea how long it should take to play?
For an advanced player, it might take about three hours. I choose not to disclose numbers of levels or rooms.

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 03:00 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Well, he said three hours.

03-02-2004 at 03:01 AM
DiMono
ErikH2000 wrote:
Sorry, you can't make it, DiMono. I'm staying firm on my time because if I change it for some people, then another set of people won't be able to enter. In other words, you can't please all the people all the time. ;)
Who was asking you to change the time? I was just whining and venting ;)

03-02-2004 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
change the time? I was just whining and venting ;)
Heh. No problem.

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 07:22 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Just so you know, Caravel employees, me, Fidel Castro, Josh Harnett and anyone else in the secret cabal in't eligible to enter.

The atomic clock (which will hereby be referred to as 'the rocket clock') over here near my chair tells me that the contest will start 6am Australian Eastern Summer Time, on the Sunday. I'm sure we'll all be up to see how you guys all do.

Matt

03-02-2004 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Why don't you have maybe three times, and get the most convenient times possible? Then email the people who say they'll compete on that day with the hold, then they have to return it as fast as possible.

03-02-2004 at 05:21 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Still too easy to cheat.

Schik: I can't do it until 7:00. Send it to me then.
Schik2: I can play it at 5:00. Send it to me then.

Schik2 gives it to Schik. Schik wins.

03-02-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Yes, but it would be easier for people in Europe, for example, who can't play at 2 am in the morning.

03-02-2004 at 05:30 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Luckily, then, they aren't required to, as the contest will be in the evening in Western Europe. If you would have read all the posts above, you would have seen that Wesley miscalculated.

As mentioned, this contest is unfair for people in Australia, but as Erik said, you can't please everyone, and there are far less forum people from Australia than there are Europeans (especially since Mattcrampy is ineligable to compete).

03-02-2004 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Red, if we get decent participation in this contest, (i.e. four or more contestants) we'll run a second one with a fresh hold at an entirely different time. Don't worry--everybody will get a chance.

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 07:24 PM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
who is entering this? can we have another hour?
I was playing some game and didn't know about it
03-02-2004 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
ErikH2000 wrote:
Red, if we get decent participation in this contest, (i.e. four or more contestants)
How do you know how many are participating? Do you keep track of the downloads of the file? Just wondering.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-02-2004 at 07:56 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I'm at boarding school, and the school rules forbid me from putting floppies into the school computers for fear of *HIDDEN VIRUSES* (a strange recent edit of one of my other posts is to accommodate this, in case you've been wondering), but I'll definitely enter next time if I can.

03-02-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Will the hold be released to the Holds section at some point also, so we can play the hold without worrying about speed?

03-02-2004 at 08:10 PM
sims5000
icon Re: Eleventh Hour Competition. (-1)  
not everyone's in the same timezone
03-02-2004 at 08:25 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Read thread before posting.

03-02-2004 at 08:27 PM
sims5000
icon Re: Eleventh Hour Competition. (-1)  
I know, in ameria it may be 11.00
but in austria it could be 7
03-02-2004 at 08:29 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Eleventh Hour Competition.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com