Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Forked Path (Anti-Green Doors In Action)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged

File: The Forked Path.hold (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 178 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: The Forked Path (0)  
Doesn't it just figure that the day after deciding I'd take time away from DROD, I go and create an entire hold between 2:00 and 5:00 in the morning?

Anyway, I designed this hold for the sole purpose of demonstrating anti-green doors, but it ended up having some nice little puzzles in it, so I present it now for everyone to peruse. There are four stairs from the top level, going to four different one-room levels which each terminate the hold.

It's anyone edit, but I'd appreciate it if everyone tried to play through the four routes without using the editor, as that's part of the fun and feel of the hold. What do people think of it?

Edit: I realized the entrance was missing a green door across the top, so I've uploaded a new version that has said green door. For the 14 of you who got it before I corrected this... um... honour system?

Re-edit: By suggestion, I've moved the scroll in level 3 next to the brain. For my own personal ego-boost, 55 people have downloaded faulty versions of the hold :)

Alright, I've finally finished installing my new computer, and here's the hold again. Level 3 has been changed, or at least it should have been changed.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-06-2004 at 06:54 AM GMT]

02-28-2004 at 10:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: New Hold: The Forked Path (0)  
I thought Reubus was excellent, now I think you are a sadist. :lol Level 3 has had me close to killing a keyboard.
03-01-2004 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Thanks... I think... :)

Just wait until you get to level 4 :D

03-02-2004 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
You may want to put the scroll in level 3 inside the green door. Otherwise, you just stand on it and kill the roaches.
03-04-2004 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
billbuckner wrote:
You may want to put the scroll in level 3 inside the green door. Otherwise, you just stand on it and kill the roaches.
Hmm, you're right. I think I'll stick it inside with the brain though, so that the general shape of the room stays the same. I'll upload a new version of it later tonight with the change. Good eyes.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-04-2004 at 09:55 PM GMT]

03-04-2004 at 09:54 PM
Koro
Rank Points: 74
When you editted, you removed the hold completely. At least it would seem that way from my end. So either my computer is having issues or you didn't edit your post properly.
:brklnk

[Edited by Koro on 03-05-2004 at 09:03 AM GMT]

03-05-2004 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
That's weird, I think I just found a forum bug. Now to see if I can reproduce it...

Nope, I can't reliably reproduce it. I edited the post, and while doing that I removed the file, then I added the updated version of it, but it didn't get attached to the post. I'll hop on another computer that (I think) has a copy of the hold, and upload it again.

Edit: that computer's image got reset, so the file is gone from it. If someone feels like emailing the hold to me I can make the change and re-upload it now, otherwise I'll get to it in about 12 hours when I get home.

PM me and I'll give you my email address if you want to send me ...my... hold...

[Edited by DiMono on 03-05-2004 at 03:19 PM GMT]

03-05-2004 at 02:55 PM
zzyzx
Rank Points: 74
Ok i'd have to agree with the sadist comment. Level 4 is great until the rush for the mother. That's just plain mean :) Level 2 ditto, and Topsoil 1W.

Level 3 I actually found pretty easy.
Click here to view the secret text

03-06-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
OMG... I was thinking that level 4 was impossible and was planning on complaining about it, then I saw you said it was mean... looked at the map... mean doesn't BEGIN to describe that nor do I exactly know how I'd go about managing to do it quick enough, but I bet it's juuuuuuust fast enough.
I think I'll pass 'til a time when I'm not going 36 hours without sleep

03-07-2004 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
You're wrong, but not how you think you are. There's no crumbly wall anywhere, it's just a room that involves a LOT of timing.

03-07-2004 at 08:45 PM
DiMono
Does anyone have a victory demo for level 4? I'm curious how people have solved it.

03-08-2004 at 02:58 AM
Drizzo
Ok DiMono... I'm gonna go back to this hold tomorrow, and provide you with that victory demo...

and maybe even beat 1 and 2... After stage 4, I never tried the left path... I went on to something more pleasant... I think it was a full body waxing...

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-23-2004 at 04:08 AM GMT: Removing Top Secret Demos... SHHHHH]

03-08-2004 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Drizzo, I can assure you that level 4 is by far the most sadistic room I've ever made, the others don't even come close... maybe level 2 :evil:

03-08-2004 at 01:29 PM
levelthirteen
Rank Points: 109

File: TFP Level 4 The Entrance Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Other
icon Re: New Hold: The Forked Path (+1)  
Attached is a demo for level 4.
03-08-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
levelthirteen wrote:
Attached is a demo for level 4.
Wow, I actually never realized it could be done only opening that gate once. Then I did it myself, and got through it in all of 370 moves, which pleased me :)

Anyway, do people think this is strong enough to be promoted to the Holds section?

03-09-2004 at 06:15 AM
Drizzo
Definitely, It's a very tidy and interesting hold... and the forked path concept just earns bonus points... and level 4 is even hard enough to please the masochists.... yet there's other stuff that's easy enough for the... slightly less masochistic masochists?

03-09-2004 at 10:47 AM
DiMono
Well, I've thought of another way to make an anti-green door, so I'm passing serious consideration towards adding to the hold. It might spoil the tidiness you speak of though, so I could end up just changing 1N to incorporate the new method. I'm seriously interested though, what's the general consensus on the quality of this little adventure?

03-10-2004 at 05:12 PM
Drizzo
Somewhere north of OK and south of Tubular...
Right around Keenalicious or possibly even Def

03-10-2004 at 08:56 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Clayton is the first person I think that made an anti green door. In level 6 of his tower.
03-11-2004 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Nope, that would be the great messenger of evil himself, Erik Herman's Head with the one in the first tar level that had the scroll added (I'd cite the actual room, but Loony Labyrinth killed my DROD so I have to beat Dugan's again) saying "Think very carefully before you leave this room" or something of that sort... at least I've always considered that an anti-green door.

03-11-2004 at 04:04 AM
DiMono
I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Drizzo. The concept of an anti-green door is you can either go one way or the other, and never go back. In that tar room to which you refer, you must go one way and then return to go the other, so it's not really an anti-green anything.

Regardless, with only one person giving encouragement (and a negative mod to boot) I can't really justify taking it to the Holds section. So, I'll change 1N and keep it here unless more people step up and say they think I should promote it.

03-16-2004 at 05:05 AM
Drizzo
*shrug* I thought an anti-green door was one that you couldn't open without monsters.. regardless, seeing as Bad Evil Restaurant has made it to the holds forum, I think there's nothing that should stop this, once it's in its finalized form and bug-tested... putting it in holds doesn't mean its the best out there, merely that its complete and playable, which this hold certainly is, and let the raters decide whether or not its worthwhile...

03-16-2004 at 07:56 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
DiMono wrote:
The concept of an anti-green door is you can either go one way or the other, and never go back.
Whaat?
I must have misunderstood, too.
A green door opens when all enemies have been killed.
Thus, an antigreen door closes when all enemies have been killed.
Or at least that was what I imagined when I made the original feature request.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-16-2004 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
My understanding was that you could clear the room and go one way, or you could not clear the room and go the other way. If you can always turn around after not clearing the room, then it's still a linear hold, and the point was to prevent holds from being linear, wasn't it?

So basically, my understanding is that you can either go one way or the other, based on whether you clear the room of enemies, but you can never go back. Admitedly, though, 1W in the hold violates that rule...

03-17-2004 at 02:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Forked Path (Anti-Green Doors In Action)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com