Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Planning to open an RPG
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Would you be interested in a forum RPG?
Yes, playing.
Yes, DMing
Playing and/or DMing.
No, I dislike RPGs
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon Planning to open an RPG (+1)  
I prefer my b33r engine(completely verbal or typed. For chance I assign a range and order my players to pick a number). My current campaign's stats are:

Items: A spatula, a case of pretzels, and some cows rolled into cigars.
Current party: A cat, Eric Cartman, and a chef(No, not Chef).
Current Quest: Wander aimlessly until they learn a new skill.

Of course the joy of the b33r engine is that the game evolves as players and the dm(s) play games, read books, and watch movies. I recently incorparated a space battle, using poker chips, cards, graph paper, and half an hour in front of the old classic "tie fighter". Any takers?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-25-2004 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Planning to open an RPG (0)  
joker5 wrote:

Current party: A cat, Eric Cartman, and a chef(No, not Chef).
:( Aw man? Why can't it be Chef? :(
Also, is the cat Kitty (you know, the one Cartman owns)? :|

The best hold in the world!
03-03-2004 at 04:47 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
JO'Z HEER!

[Edited by Nillo on 03-04-2004 at 09:11 PM GMT]

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-03-2004 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
No, it's not Kitty.

And it can't be chef because that player's character class was "battle-chef". Yes. That's right.

~joker5

03-03-2004 at 03:53 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
In response to the poll, I don't think the forum environment lends itself to an RPG, as it's not really that interactive. It could take a week to do one battle that would have taken five minutes in a tabletop game. Now, if by Forum RPG you meant on IRC or ICQ with forum members as the players, that's a different story.

03-04-2004 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
I'm not really sure. People have run successful RPGs on forums before... and I don't know squat about IRC clients... could you point me in the direction of a good one?

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 03:20 PM
joker5
Would whoever voted they'd like to play come forth? I'd like to know who I'll DM to, so I can figure out a decent campaign...

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 08:44 PM
Nillo
I voted for playin'

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-04-2004 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Thank you. What interests(besides DROD) do you have? Are there any particular books or games or whatever you could reccomend for me that you would like to see in the RPG?

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 09:37 PM
DiMono
If you're familiar with the White Wolf tabletop method, and want to give my creation a try, just let me know, and I'll tell you all about it. It's basically useful if your players' characters are supposed to be REALLY good at what they do, and not suck at things they don't do. It lent itself well to the world of Vampire: The Masquerade

03-04-2004 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
I'm not familliar w/White Wolf... although I could probably mutate your campaign and/or steal the creative ideas...

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 10:01 PM
Nillo
joker5 wrote:
Thank you. What interests(besides DROD) do you have? Are there any particular books or games or whatever you could reccomend for me that you would like to see in the RPG?

~joker5
I would recommend something from The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and maybe something from one of my favorite games (found in profile).

03-04-2004 at 10:03 PM
joker5
Hmmm... Eeeexcelllent. Expect to see a destroyed temple, an empty restina bottle, and an ancient scroll teaching you how to fly :)

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 10:15 PM
DiMono
White Wolf in a nutshell:

You have three sections for attributes: Physical, Social, and Mental. Each... well, actually, let me just show you a picture of such a character sheet here. Now, when a player wants to do something that requires a roll, she rolls a number of D10s equal to the appropriate ability + the appropriate attribute, and the number that read above the target difficulty are successes. That's the seemingly relevant part of the system.

My change was to say that attibutes don't go from 0-5, but from (-3)-(+2). Then, when it's time to roll, you roll a number of D10s equal to the appropriate ability, and then add the attribute modifier to the number of successes. This means that if your dexterity is 5 dots, for a +2, and you want to do gymnastics without having any ability in it, your natural grace will still show because of the automatic 2 successes. Conversely, if you try to do some fighting with no brawl ability, and a strength of 1 for a -2 modifier, you are going to hurt yourself, because you really have no business fighting someone anyway.

So that's the system I changed White Wolf in to, take it as you will.

03-04-2004 at 10:24 PM
joker5
Multiple 6-sided dice.... that's why I prefer d20, different range of odds. Still, it looks like you've crossbred White Wolf and d20 rather well... the system looks quite fun. Personally I'll give it a spin.

~joker5

03-04-2004 at 10:31 PM
DiMono
Cool, best of luck to you. Just remember that most rolls using my system will either go really well, or really poorly, depending how the character is built.

03-04-2004 at 10:37 PM
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I am definitely interested in an RPG (I know this thread's been dead for 10 days, but still) although I don't know how exactly one would be ran on a forum. Which I should, seeing as I participated in a forum based rpg many years ago (pre-internet... on a bbs... maybe steve jackson games' site? it was in the Miskatonic Asylum) all I remember is it was bizarre, and not so much hack/slash/level-up oriented as many traditional campaigns, which I definitely prefer... because I like the story and characterization elements... often pissed off my fellow role players, when my thief character wouldn't want to cooperate because of his cowardice and selfishness ("Why should I trust you? Just because some orcs happened to raid the tavern while we were sitting next to each other doesn't make you guys my ideal travelling companion on this task some crackpot wizard is too lazy to take care of himself. If you ask me you guys are just magnets for trouble, I was living a perfectly simple life as a pickpocket before, and just enjoying a mug of mead and now look...." :ranting but I digress) but it was more fun that way, at least for me, and of course I was always willing in the long run to be a team player ("Untold riches? Zuh?")
anyway, hope someone wants to GM, because I certainly don't have time for it... well I do have time, but not motivation...
:onei

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-14-2004 at 12:07 PM GMT: fixing a smiley]

03-14-2004 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Awesome. Personally there's I don't believe in hack-and-slash. I just guess the outcome of a battle unless there's any important deciding factors(Like, say, where to ambush the orcs). The rest is essentially managing.

Ok, so now interest has leveled off. Please, post what times you're available. Preferrably for the West Coast, for that is where I live. I'm thinking Saturday or Friday or Sunday for the weekly sessions. I'm available just about all the time on those days, and if I'm not available I'll just appoint the most insane person DM instead, and PM him my babb-err, G/DM notes.

~joker5

03-15-2004 at 03:23 PM
Nillo
joker5 wrote:
Ok, so now interest has leveled off.
I'm still interested, I just have'nt posted here since because I have'nt had anything to say.

I'm available at 16.00 - 22.00 GMT mostly, but I check the forum at school sometimes.

03-15-2004 at 03:32 PM
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I'm pretty much always available, my sleep and work schedules are too erratic to say with any surety, however, I can certainly find myself available... PST though, right now probably 7pm-5am are my best times... but that could change swiftly
---------
Oh yeah, btw, post 100! *sigh*

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-15-2004 at 03:43 PM GMT]

03-15-2004 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Ok, so sometime in the evening. Probably sometime around 3 or 4 West Coast time... wait, what's PST?

~joker5

03-15-2004 at 04:52 PM
Nillo
PST is Pacific Standard Time, which is GMT -8.

Now you tell me, what is West Coast time?

03-15-2004 at 04:59 PM
joker5
Time on the West Coast. PST, evidently. I'm all confuzzled-like now, but I'll work through it.

~joker5

03-16-2004 at 05:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Planning to open an RPG Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No