Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Getting to the Neather before its time
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
IP: Logged
icon Getting to the Neather before its time (0)  
On Level 25, 1N2W, I killed every creature but the Brain, let the Neather make his scampering escape, then left the room the way he came from (Marker 1). Then I came back. And who was waiting for me? Yes, that annoying dwarf. I stabbed him mercilessly, but the game would deny me the sweet release of victory. And I had to kill the bugs all over again.

So, uh, yeah. I think itīs a bug.

Point of Contention

[Edited by Zaratustra on 02-19-2004 at 12:12 PM GMT]
02-19-2004 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Getting to the Neather before its time (0)  
It's a known bug, and one which is not going to be fixed - Erik seems to have decided that getting to the 'neather early is more of an unintentional easter egg than an actual problem, and no changes are planned to Dugan's Dungeon.

02-19-2004 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
It's not a bug, it's a feature? Well, maybe have the Neather say something more meaningful when stabbed in that screen, or maybe dance a little jig.
02-19-2004 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, it's definitely a bug - it's just one that, due to various reasons, the dev team decided not to fix.

02-19-2004 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Maybe when the 'Neather is stabbed he has armour, except he loses it in the last room.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-19-2004 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MartianInvader
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 126
icon Re: Getting to the Neather before its time (+1)  
Here's a funny thing - in 2W I actually thought you had to kill the 'Neather to beat the room

Click here to view the secret text

I thought that this was the intended solution! Imagine my surprise/frustration when I found out that I knew how to kill the 'Neather in this room, but didn't know how to beat it!

By the way, if you messed up on 1S and have to go around the circuit again, is there any way to get through 2W? I found myself having to restore back to 1S.

04-25-2004 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
The room respawns in its entirety, so you can in fact just replay it the same way you did the first time

04-25-2004 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MartianInvader
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 126
Hm... that's odd. Maybe this is a real bug then. When I play through the second time the room doesn't respawn at all. I enter and there's no 'Neather and no monsters (and hence no way to get out since the necessary button is across a pit). Are you saying that they should all come back if you've conquered the room and are coming through for a second time? I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening with my game.

05-16-2004 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
In that case, we seem to have identified an entirely separate bug: if you kill the 'Neather too early, then return to the room in which you killed him, the room does not respawn correctly.

I can even tell you why:

When you kill the 'Neather in the room, and there are no surviving monsters, the room satisfies the "conquered" status, and as we all know, you never have to defeat rooms you've conquered twice. So, Matt, should there be a piece of code added to the game that checks to make sure whether you're in KDD level 25 before determining conquered status, since this can prevent you from completing the game?

05-16-2004 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Getting to the Neather before its time
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com