Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: DRODer! (0)  
There are s3m to mid converters out there somewhere, right? Shouldn't be too hard to re-encode the songs for you.

02-14-2004 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
There are s3m to mid converters out there somewhere, right? Shouldn't be too hard to re-encode the songs for you.
Umm... be careful - conversion can be a very tricky business, especially to a format like MIDI, and you may end up with odd results like notes out of time/sequence or incorrect instruments.

02-14-2004 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
agaricus5 wrote:
Umm... be careful - conversion can be a very tricky business, especially to a format like MIDI, and you may end up with odd results like notes out of time/sequence or incorrect instruments.
It's a good point. I think ideally we would give Nillo some MID files. Maybe there is a musician on the board who has done some work and would like to share it.

(Wesley, I know you've done some MIDI composition, but I didn't want to put you on the spot. ;) )

-Erik

02-15-2004 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
This game is causing me to fail my courses! It's that good! (I haven't failed yet, but it's quickly becoming the first thing I turn to).

And, I am proud to say that I am a member of the 5K club. :D

Edit: I forgot, could there be a "No music" option under the music selection, in case people want to play their own? I know there's a "don't play music" thing under options, but that may be a bit more intuitive.

[Edited by zex20913 on 02-15-2004 at 05:00 AM GMT: music.]

02-15-2004 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Maybe there is a musician on the board who has done some work and would like to share it.

(Wesley, I know you've done some MIDI composition, but I didn't want to put you on the spot. ;) )

-Erik
Umm... Yeah.

That's kind of you to remember, Erik.

The problem with MIDI is the sound/instrument problems on different computers that may cause the music to sound strange.

If you are interested, go to this thread to find the OGG files:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1796

Listen to them and see if they are of a style that befits your game (or not), and if you would like to use them, then send me an e-mail, and I'll send the MIDI file over so you can see if it sounds okay or not.

02-15-2004 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
The problem with MIDI is the sound/instrument problems on different computers that may cause the music to sound strange.
I agree with that, but Nillo seems to want to use MIDs. Maybe the programming is just simpler for MIDs in his case.

-Erik

02-15-2004 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
I've had a play, and I must say - it's quite cool!

It reminds me of the old "Asteroids" game, except that, of course, there are no asteroids, and Beethro has a sword instead of a laser gun, and an interesting idea from this could be to put in a Goblin that only appears randomly once in a while that will go for Beethro, just like the aliens did in "Asteroids".

Apart from that, it's lots of fun and quite a challenging distraction if you have the time to play it. Well done!

02-15-2004 at 11:42 AM
ErikH2000
Also, check out http://www.lynnemusic.com/midi.html . Bjorn Lynne has written a ton of music, and offers some of it free for use in noncommercial games if you credit him and link to his site.

My personal picks from Bjorn's list for DRODer!:

Proud Warriors
Methydia's Cloudship
12th Warrior (listen to it past the slow intro)
Squadron Standby
Chaos Warrior
Zombie Chase

-Erik

02-15-2004 at 12:01 PM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
DiMono wrote:
There's a .dll up there somewhere that needs to go in your %WinDir% directory
I've got that
02-15-2004 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Now all we need is a DROD First-Person Shooter mod, and we'll be well on our way to a franchise. :D I commend your excellent and highly addictive work!

Only one problem that I've seen so far: When the music loads, your character becomes uncontrollable and everything goes super-fast for a moment. This is usually enough to lose you a hit point at the beginning of the game, and probably another later on.

02-16-2004 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
If you are interested, go to this thread to find the OGG files:
My personal picks from Bjorn's list for DRODer!:
Whoa, that's a lot of music! I can't have 'em all in my game... Can we have a poll, or something?
When the music loads, your character becomes uncontrollable and everything goes super-fast for a moment
It seems several people have problem with the music.
I don't really know what's wrong, it works fine for me.
I think the only solutions would be to either turn off the music completely, or try again on a different computer.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-16-2004 at 04:36 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Nillo wrote:
It seems several people have problem with the music.
I don't really know what's wrong, it works fine for me.
I think the only solutions would be to either turn off the music completely, or try again on a different computer.
Hmm... I'm guessing that you're not streaming the music, and also that the music file is being reloaded every time it completes. If you can enable automatic music looping or streaming that should fix the problem. Or possibly loading the music file into a buffer and playing the song from the buffer instead of playing it directly from disk (causing a new disk load each time the song restarts) would minimize the load time.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-16-2004 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Nillo wrote:
Whoa, that's a lot of music! I can't have 'em all in my game... Can we have a poll, or something?
Sure, go ahead and make a poll if you want. Those are just some that I happened to like and seemed to fit your action-oriented game. You might have completely different opinions.

-Erik

02-16-2004 at 06:56 PM
Nillo
I don't know exactly how the poll should be...
Should I ask "Which one do you like the most?" and take out the ones that get the least votes? And do I need to start a new topic?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-16-2004 at 07:28 PM
ErikH2000
Nillo wrote:
Should I ask "Which one do you like the most?" and take out the ones that get the least votes?
Sure, that'd probably work fine.

You might decide which ones you think are pretty okay and get a list of ten or so. Then ask people to vote for the one song they like best. Use the top three or five for your game.
And do I need to start a new topic?
Yes, use the "New Poll" button.

-Erik

02-16-2004 at 08:15 PM
agaricus5
Nillo wrote:
Should I ask "Which one do you like the most?" and take out the ones that get the least votes? And do I need to start a new topic?
I think you should listen to them first.

I'm not sure if the DROD Scores are suitable for an action game like "DRODer!" or not. You need to listen to them and decide for yourself whether they is suitable or not.

I'd not recommend DROD Score 1 or 4, but the middle sections of DROD Scores 2 and 5 could be usable.

In terms of voting, I don't think the community is large enough for you to get a "which is best" vote that's convincing enough to allow you to decide what to use. Use your own judgement first to narrow the list. Then perhaps you could ask for opinion.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 02-16-2004 at 08:23 PM GMT]

02-16-2004 at 08:22 PM
Nillo
I know an idea that could work!
First I make a poll with many songs, then I make a new poll without the songs that got the most votes, and so on.
It could take a while, but I'm not in a hurry.
If no one complains, I'll make the first poll tomorrow.

02-16-2004 at 09:24 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I might suggest that instead of looking for the "best" songs, you poll for the songs people think will work best with your game...

02-16-2004 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
ErikH2000 wrote:
Also, check out http://www.lynnemusic.com/midi.html . Bjorn Lynne has written a ton of music

It says he is situated in Wakefield UK. What a coincidence. :)
02-17-2004 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
bandit1200 wrote:
Why? Who else lives there?

-Erik

02-18-2004 at 12:12 AM
zex20913
Let it be noted that you need more space in your high score column. That is, I have broken the 10,000 mark, and it only shows the rightmost dot of the 1. Or, it only has room for four numbers.

02-18-2004 at 12:56 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: DRODer! (+1)  
zex20913 wrote:
Let it be noted that you need more space in your high score column. That is, I have broken the 10,000 mark, and it only shows the rightmost dot of the 1. Or, it only has room for four numbers.
What an elegant way to brag about your score! :thumbsup My total session time is probably something like a half hour, and I still haven't scored past 300. Oh well, guess I am not the one after all.

-Erik

02-18-2004 at 01:52 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: DRODer! (+1)  
Free your mind, Erik.

(What? Someone had to say it.)

Matt

02-18-2004 at 06:32 AM
agaricus5
Also remember:

Your mind makes it real.

02-18-2004 at 10:38 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
How much time did it get you to achieve that score?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-18-2004 at 05:23 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
ErikH2000 wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
Why? Who else lives there?

-Erik

er, me.
02-18-2004 at 06:45 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
How much time did it get you to achieve that score?

I think that only takes about a combo of 150.

02-18-2004 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
While you're waiting for the high score table to get expanded, try playing the game with a single rotation key constantly held down. Makes for an interesting challenge, and one that I can't say I've scored very many points with. ;)

02-18-2004 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
New version features:
-5 places in highscore table!
-It shows up to 1000000 points instead of just 10000!
-Increasing enemy speed and spawn rate with time!

I also unsuccessfully tried to fix the music bug. :thumbsdown Live with it.

02-19-2004 at 02:27 PM
zex20913
To beat the music bug, you can pause the game. There is no adverse effect, and it gives your fingers a time to rest.

I've been playing for quite a while now. I have no clue how long it took me to get that score, but I've broken it on "normal" and "levels" now :D

02-19-2004 at 03:37 PM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com