Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : help
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
IP: Logged
icon help (0)  
is there any way to change a room from entrance to another position?
02-08-2004 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: help (0)  
Just place Beethro (from the monster tab) in the new entrance room. You'll get a dialog asking you to confirm moving the entrance.

02-08-2004 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
thanks
this really helps with testing (debugging? :) )
02-11-2004 at 08:28 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Did you know that in the editor, if you push F5 then click a square you can playtest that level with beethro starting on that square?

(I didn't know that for a while, and was playing through all my rooms to get through to the one I wanted to test).
02-11-2004 at 09:46 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I didn't know that for quite a while too. However, it's probably better to test things in the real game, because in the editor, sometimes you can miss an impossible room.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-12-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I find it best in the editor, to test rooms by using F5 to place Beethro near the exit of the previous room. That way, I can test the room coming in, just like in a normal game, and can't accidently spoil timing puzzles by putting Beethro on the wrong square or something.

02-12-2004 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Something I've been doing recently is putting Beethro where he'll be in one or two turns, and then waiting the number of turns it would take him to get there. For some of my rooms, where it's just not reasonable for me to start from the previous room without defeating it first, this saves me some frustration.

02-12-2004 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
That doesn't always work (since monsters might end up in different places if you aren't positioned the same way relative to their starting positions).

In rooms where I really can't place Beethro at the exit, I normally copy the room to be tested and place a blank room near it. In fact, when I build most of my rooms (not the interlocking ones, obviously), I tend to build them apart from other rooms and then copy and past them to their final position as necessary.

02-12-2004 at 08:21 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
eytanz wrote:
That doesn't always work (since monsters might end up in different places if you aren't positioned the same way relative to their starting positions).

Yes, I agree. This has broken one or two rooms in Deep Hold. It also can disrupt the spawn cycle, which can be important in some rooms.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-12-2004 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : help
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com