Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro in Space! (Version 1.something now available!)
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (0)  
alright... I just went to play Tar Caves 1S, and couldn't see where I was. I also couldn't see the boundary of the five-square radius. I think the tiles need to be lighter for it to be playable.

07-26-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
...could we try to make the invisibility tiles lighter?

07-26-2004 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Unfortunately, I believe the invisiblity is just an overlay done in-game. I wasn't able to find a tile that affected the change.

07-26-2004 at 09:58 PM
gamer_extreme_101
First two rows of eight on the left side of GeneralTiles.bmp. Those are the invisibility graphics.

07-26-2004 at 11:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (+1)  
This fixes the Beethro blending into the background. I personally can see the 5 square overlay, but look on the bright side - it'll bring back memories of Webfoot DROD!

07-26-2004 at 11:59 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Those are only the graphics for Beethro when he is invisible.

DiMono is right. The "invisible" effect on the tiles is just a darkening effect added to the tiles by the game. The only way to lighten these tiles during invisibility is to make the floor squares lighter in the tilesets.

07-27-2004 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I know. What the game does is darken the area within a 5 square area from him. There is no known way to change that, hence my expression "it'll bring back memories of Webfoot DROD!" since Webfoot DROD didn't have the surrounding area shown.

07-27-2004 at 12:04 AM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Is it just me, or is it that the orbs and doors are just big red squares when I play in game?

Hopefully it's just not me :P

p.s.- I'm working on an unofficial fan hold using the graphics/general tiles/sounds and making it into something like gamers upcoming colour hold (not to mention he's doing a great job of it) More details coming.

[Edited by Stuwy on 07-26-2004 at 11:14 PM GMT]
07-27-2004 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Stuwy wrote:
Is it just me, or is it that the orbs and doors are just big red squares when I play in game?
If it's just orbs and doors, then it's a problem. If most things are screwed up, then you probably substituted the GeneralTiles file with the StylexTiles file. Try redownloading them to see if that works.

p.s.- I'm working on an unofficial fan hold using the graphics/general tiles/sounds and making it into something like gamers upcoming colour hold (not to mention he's doing a great job of it) More details coming.
I look forward to seeing it!

07-27-2004 at 12:28 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Image editing is fun!

I edited the GameScreen file to give it that "Out of the World" feel to it. If you hate it, let me know and I'll try to fix it up a bit.

07-29-2004 at 12:12 AM
DiMono
That's actually pretty good.

07-29-2004 at 01:22 AM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
That's actually pretty good.
Why thank you! Glad to see that my work is being appreciated. I'm still working on the other tilesets, so it should be a couple more days before a new one is released.

In strange news, when I was editing the file, I noticed a reference to Webfoot in it - the door. I'm guessing they just used a quick screenshot to place in the middle, but it's still an interesting fact.

07-29-2004 at 01:54 AM
gamer_extreme_101
*SIGH* 7 more left...

This one's done. I basically used a basic sphere for the planet.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-07-2004 at 01:02 AM GMT]

08-04-2004 at 01:03 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Toronto, we have a problem.

I need you(DiMono) to make an important decision:
The spider tiles are currently light blue circles, but the way I'm heading right now, they would basically be pointless. That means that we can either A) Change the spider to another generic spaceship. Certain levels would lose the "spidey suprise" factor, or we can B) Make a low-level tileset depicting Beethro in an area similar to Earth's sky. To be able to see them, I would need to add a distinguishing factor to the second tile.

08-04-2004 at 05:51 PM
DiMono
Hmm... well, the spiders were designed to be hidden only on the Palace tileset, so let's go with LEO (Low Earth Orbit) and a light blue sky.

And thank you very much for picking up the ball on this concept, I really appreciate it.

08-04-2004 at 06:54 PM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
Hmm... well, the spiders were designed to be hidden only on the Palace tileset, so let's go with LEO (Low Earth Orbit) and a light blue sky.
Okey-Dokey. I made a quick list of all the objects I'm thinking of using:
Tile1 - Pure Sky Blue
Tile2 - Sky blue with a wisp of white cloud.
Walls - Clouds. Very Dark Grey Thunderstorm kind of clouds.
Pits - Fog covering the sky. Since beethro would be unable to see when in it, he chooses to avoid it.
Statues - My origional thought was a large cloud, but clouds have been done to death. Probably either the sun or the weird look of the moon when you see it in the day.
Trapdoors - Argh. I haven't done trapdoors at all. I've tried, but they all don't work. I'll get back to you on that. :)

08-04-2004 at 11:24 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Trapdoors - Argh. I haven't done trapdoors at all. I've tried, but they all don't work. I'll get back to you on that. :)
Suggestion: what about a crack in the sky?

Once flown over, they would make a hole in the sky that leaks out fog.

08-05-2004 at 12:28 AM
DiMono
I still say that you shouldn't worry about trapdoors dropping, and should just have the same single tile corrupt itself to turn in to a pit. All you have to do is fill the other parts of the falling trapdoor with the grey that the game identifies as transparent, and replace the couple tiles of the walls of the pit with the same image as the rest of the pit. ...did that make sense?

08-05-2004 at 01:17 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Barely, but I do like the part about having walls and pits being similar. Thanks :)

08-05-2004 at 01:20 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Hate to bug you again, but I've encountered another problem. If you are to use the tileset I've started on(Palace)in Level 10, you get a black outline on the wall tiles and possibly on the pits as well. I'm trying every single option that I possibly can (With a few left in my bag of tricks), but we may need to make the spiders dark blue instead. If they are dark blue, I should be able to fix the tileset so the black outline is barely noticeable. I'll let you know for sure though.

-Patrick

Edit: Included the file. Let me know once you have it so I can get rid of it.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-06-2004 at 02:10 AM GMT]

08-06-2004 at 03:01 AM
DiMono
Wow, that's really weird. I notice, though, that the top of the pit, and the bottom of the wall, don't have this problem, so I'm going to mess around in Photoshop for a bit and see if I can come up with anything. ...and I'll come up with something for the crumbly walls while I'm at it ;)

I just realized that that's just how the game renders the tiles, and there's nothing we can do about it. I did notice that the tiles were slightly off, some of them were one pixel too low, and I corrected that in my tileset. I also noticed that the colours for the pits are so close to those for the ground that it's very difficult to tell the difference at first glance, so I might suggest changing them a little.

As for the lines around the walls, I'd actually suggest changing what makes up the walls rather than darkening the floor tiles, unless you're planning to make it a cloudy grey sky, in which case I can change the colour of the spiders easily enough to nearly match whatever colour you make the clouds.

Edit: Attached is my edit of your style7tiles.bmp file, and I tossed in what I envision for dropping trapdoors in the tile as well as crumbly walls. I also raised a few of the tiles to where they should be, and redid pits to make them much closer to the dark, ominous clouds I think you were going for. I also tweaked the walls to make them line up a little better.

[Edited by DiMono on 08-06-2004 at 03:06 PM GMT]

08-06-2004 at 02:59 PM
gamer_extreme_101
I tweaked it up a bit. At least the black outline isn't so visible anymore, but it still doesn't look as good as some of the other ones.

08-06-2004 at 05:27 PM
gamer_extreme_101
After spending a lot of time on the palace one, I took a break and completly finished 1 & 2(You can find them in their original posts). Trapdoors are now finished, and there is even a quick animation of the sequence. Take a quick look, and I'll get your opinion. Meanwhile, the black border thing is making me very mad :ranting . The revision posted above does nothing to fix the black line. If'n you've got any suggestions on what to do, PLEASE tell me.

08-07-2004 at 01:38 AM
DiMono
Honestly, I'd just design the walls in such a way that the black lines either look natural, or don't show. I doubt it'll be very reasonable to change the sky to a dark cloud, after all.

08-07-2004 at 09:59 AM
gamer_extreme_101
There. I'm satisfied with it now. I doubt we could make it any better than it is now. The lines aren't even that noticable. Therefore, I'm taking a well deserved rest to work on one of my other two projects :) .

08-07-2004 at 10:19 PM
DiMono
I don't mean to irk you or anything, but I have a difficult time distinguishing between pit and crumbly wall...

08-08-2004 at 12:21 AM
gamer_extreme_101
No, valid point. Gimme a couple o' minutes and it'll be fixed.

08-08-2004 at 12:23 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Ther. Fixed. Pit is light, Crubly is medium, and wall is dark.

And BTW: I don't get irked very easily :)

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-07-2004 at 11:30 PM GMT]

08-08-2004 at 12:29 AM
DiMono
better :)

08-08-2004 at 12:38 AM
gamer_extreme_101
...for now. I just realized that spiders aren't visible on the squares with clouds. It shouldn't be that bad a fix, just a minor bug regarding a bug :) .

08-08-2004 at 12:44 AM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro in Space! (Version 1.something now available!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com