Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro in Space! (Version 1.something now available!)
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (0)  
Wow, that was fast. I don't have time to listen to them critically right now, but I have taken a cursory glance at them, and I have the following to say:

orbhit and orbhitquiet are the same volume

I still think the red and green doors dropping should be a powering down sound. Perhaps just swap HUGEDOOR and Powerdown2?

I think the 'Neather's sounds should have something metallic added to them, or replacing them entirely. In space, noone can hear you laugh... wait, that's not it...

I think there should be some sort of engine sound for tinyblip and tinyblip2

I think BeethroExhausted2 and BeethroExhausted3 could use some sort of puttering engine sound, I think that would be amusing

I think AlanComplete is going to sound a lot better in the space environment, and that it should be left as is :D

Wow, that was a lot more critical than I thought it would be. Hopefully it's constructive. You may, of course, do what you want with your sounds, but these are my opinions on them.

Of note: since AE doesn't like putting the sound in for me, I had to drop to regular Caravel, and I just realized how big a difference bolding the location strip at the top of the screen makes. This has nothing to do with the current topic, I just find it interesting.

03-02-2004 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
TinyBlip sounds are gonna be hard to find but lets see what I can do.

Also heres an idea for the scroll image: Make it look like some sort of docking bay cause in space, it's hard to read paper outside your ship :P
03-03-2004 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
It's easy enough to do the docking bay, but I'm going to need to find a way for people to know it's a scroll... I'll think of something. Thanks for the idea, I like it.

03-03-2004 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Alright, you've all waited patiently... or not at all... for me to finish work on Beethro in Space version 1.something... well, here it is! I finally got around to the doors and 'Neather, and now here it is for you all to peruse and give feedback on. I'm also going to attach it to the top of the thread.

03-15-2004 at 07:35 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Just FYI, I removed the attachment on the above post. Our attachments table is taking up a ton of space, and I'm going to start enforcing things like "Don't attach the same file in two different posts." If you want to refer to it elsewhere, you can attach it to one post, right-click on it and select "Copy shortcut" or "Copy link location" or something similar and paste the URL into the other post.

The attachment in the first post as of right now is Right Here. If it gets updated, this will no longer work.

[Edited by Schik on 03-15-2004 at 08:54 PM GMT]

03-15-2004 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Sure thing boss. So if you want to tool around with Beethro in Space version 1.random, head to the top of the thread, y'all!

03-15-2004 at 08:20 PM
Stuwy
Excellent job DiMono! It's very good so far but it still needs one more thing to make it pure galaxy defending action: All styles must be turned space-ish. I'll try my hardest if we are going to do this (others can try if they want to), even though I'm not the greatest MsPaint artist, I'll try.
04-11-2004 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Sure thing, thanks! I fully encourage other people to tackle the other style bmps, especially since I really don't have the time to do it myself. Somewhere further up the thread is a list of what walls, pits and trapdoors should be. I think it's halfway down the first page.

04-11-2004 at 06:31 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Don't forget Beethro's portrait.

04-11-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
We could make Beethro's portrait as one of the Rebel Pilot's from the Starwars Saga.
04-13-2004 at 12:51 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Schik wrote:
Just FYI, I removed the attachment on the above post. Our attachments table is taking up a ton of space, and I'm going to start enforcing things like "Don't attach the same file in two different posts."

I just noticed this, Schik - how urgent is this space problem?

Would you like me to remove my DROD Score 3 Segments as soon as I'm finished with the poll (They take up about 470 KB of space)?

04-13-2004 at 12:56 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
agaricus5 wrote:
I just noticed this, Schik - how urgent is this space problem?

Would you like me to remove my DROD Score 3 Segments as soon as I'm finished with the poll (They take up about 470 KB of space)?
Don't worry about it. For now, I'm just trying to get a handle on abandoned files (caused by forum bugs) and duplicated files. For duplicates, you can easily add a link to the other attachment instead of attaching it again.

If it gets bad, I'll probably just have old attachments get automatically archived away somewhere.

04-13-2004 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
The scrolls could be square black bords ( but not blackboards) with electronic looking glowy green text that is actually just wavy lines.
06-05-2004 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Good idea, I'll put in the "for consideration" pile for when I get back to this. Thanks bro.

06-05-2004 at 09:34 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352

File: Style6Tiles.bmp (294.1 KB)
Downloaded 173 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (+1)  
Alright, I'll admit it. I haven';t read this entire thred. but here is my small and unofficial addition to DRODIS based on level 8. Just make a backup of style6tiles in the bitmaps folder and drop this one in

Actually, because I'm going to be ohsobored over the summer, I might redo all levels and the general tiles as well.

Mine won't be as spacey though, more just futuristic. :glasses

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 06-27-2004 at 04:16 PM GMT]
06-27-2004 at 05:12 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
First, it probably would have been better to start a new topic instead of adding on to this. Secondly, I see you finally read my PM, eh?

06-27-2004 at 05:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Beethro in Space must not Die!!!

Well, I've started making a StylexTiles.bmp file for this. I'm still having issues with pits and stairs, but I'll think of something sooner or later.

Enjoy!

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-25-2004 at 06:30 PM GMT]

07-25-2004 at 05:00 PM
DiMono
Ah, cool, someone else picked up in my busy absence. I was planning to get back to this eventually, but I've just been really busy. gamer_extreme, I give you my blessing to continue development.

I'm curious: are you using the element list earlier in this thread as your template, or are you going from scratch?

07-25-2004 at 07:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
I'm curious: are you using the element list earlier in this thread as your template, or are you going from scratch?
I'm trying as best I can. Some of the things may bring up problems.
DiMono's list reads:
Walls: Dense asteroid belt
Crumbly Walls: Sparse asteroid belt
Pit: Radioactive waste
Trapdoor: Half-irradiated space (falling pit would turn in to radiation completion)
Stairs: Portals?
Statues: Planets
At this moment, I see stairs being the worst problem out of all of those. All stairs use 5 tiles: 4 for shadows, 1 for normal. My origional idea (which I still might do) is to have a "laser teleportation ststion" instead of stairs, but because of the various shapes of stairs throughout all holds made, I'm having a difficult time trying to find out how I can get it to work. The same thing goes for pits as well, except pits have a couple more tiles to work with. When I do get this working, I may just end up changing the planet (statue) in each tileset.

I posted a new Tileset up there. The previous one had a ugly "Polka-dotted" feel to it that I couldn't stand. Walls are done too.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-25-2004 at 06:41 PM GMT]

07-25-2004 at 07:20 PM
DiMono
You can always change the tile patterns and colours to create the other tilesets. Add a little bit of light grey, and you have another tileset... put a couple pixels of brown in the asteroids, and it's changed again.

07-25-2004 at 08:35 PM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
You can always change the tile patterns and colours to create the other tilesets. Add a little bit of light grey, and you have another tileset... put a couple pixels of brown in the asteroids, and it's changed again.
No offense, but that's the least of my problems right now. I'm extremly close to ripping my hair out because of the stairs, but I do see where you are coming from. I even got as far as thinking of making sanctum space a deep red and expanding from there. I'll let you know how it goes.

07-25-2004 at 08:49 PM
DiMono
Personally, I'd ignore the shadows, since light comes from directly above in the GeneralTiles.bmp file for this project, and just make all four or five squares the same. Then for the pits, I'd ignore the dropping part and animate the removal, make it a little explosion or something.

Just my $0.02

07-25-2004 at 09:57 PM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
Personally, I'd ignore the shadows, since light comes from directly above in the GeneralTiles.bmp file for this project, and just make all four or five squares the same. Then for the pits, I'd ignore the dropping part and animate the removal, make it a little explosion or something.
I fully agree. Space shouldn't really have any shadows unless there was something solid beneath for light to shine on. My problem is just the actual idea of what I can use. I'm gonna try the radioactive waste for the pits, but I'm still stuck when it comes to stairs and trapdoors. I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you mean by "Half-irradiated space". The only idea I have for stairs is to turn it into a landing runway. The problem with your portal idea is that 'Beethroship' will end up on top of the drawing no matter what it is. At least if it is a runway, it will still look normal.

If you just explain a bit deeply what "Half-irradiated space" is, then I may be able to get a full style done.

-Patrick

07-25-2004 at 11:41 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (+2)  
DONE!

I played the first level of Dugans' with it, and I found it to be very entertaining. Try it for yourself though!

Walls = Asteroids
Crumblies = Less Dense Asteroids
Trapdoors = Glowing Circle
Pits = Radioactive waste
Floor = Starry Background
Stairs = Runway
Statue = Planet
Arrows = Don't know anything to change them too...

Oh, and I'm curious to see if anyone beats me for most versions of 1.6 installed on their computer - I now have 3. :)
Stuwy - sound effects rock, although you may need to change the pit one as it sounds like you are bumping into something, but it still rocks!

Now, I better get to work on those smilies. I'm really started to become annoyed at this "time" thing that I don't have enough of. :D

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-26-2004 at 01:08 AM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-07-2004 at 12:34 AM GMT]

07-26-2004 at 02:05 AM
DiMono
Personally, I'm impressed at how much time you're throwing at drod projects in general. I know how long it took me to do GeneralTiles.bmp, and now you've done a styles bitmap and three million smilies. You should get a medal or something.

07-26-2004 at 04:08 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Argh. Already found a problem. Because the floor is so dark, when you go invisible you are literally lost in the floor. No joke. When an enemy gets in your range, you become revisible, but this could get annoying in rooms such as 1S Tar Caves (Where I discovered it)

The main thing that DiMono could decide is whether the floor should become lighter or leave it as a "feature". I'm personally for leaving it, seeing as you do become visible when in range of an enemy, which is all you should need. However, some may be against it, and I respect that. Besides, the rest of the floors will probably be a bit lighter, so I'll make sure that this is a one-time occurance. Think of this as the palace level. ;)

I will still change it if people find it a problem, though. And DiMono...I'm still waiting for your explination of "Half-Irradicated Space".

-Patrick

07-26-2004 at 04:18 PM
DiMono
Well, irradiated space is one thing, and regular space is another... so somewhere in between... I know that sounds vague, but at the time it's as complicated as I'd thought about it. I sort of imagined having a red/orange/yellow glow in place of the pit, to indicate that it was affected by radiation, so some combination of those colours with enough density to indicate that you can still walk, but bad things might happen.

As for being invisible when you're ...invisible, can you still see your sword? Beethro being invisible might be okay, but if you don't know where your sword is then that could be a problem... how does having an enemy nearby make you suddenly visible? I'll have to download your tileset and do some testing on this one...

07-26-2004 at 08:59 PM
agaricus5
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oh, and I'm curious to see if anyone beats me for most versions of 1.6 installed on their computer - I now have 3. :)
I have about 19. :P

However 3 of them are corrupted.

07-26-2004 at 09:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Beethro in Space! (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
As for being invisible when you're ...invisible, can you still see your sword? Beethro being invisible might be okay, but if you don't know where your sword is then that could be a problem... how does having an enemy nearby make you suddenly visible? I'll have to download your tileset and do some testing on this one...

You are comletly invisible. The only hint that you are alive is the subtle change in colour of some areas from the space that shows the smelling range.

When no enemy is in your range, the graphics default to the first 2 rows. When an enemy can smell you and starts heading for(or away) from you, then it goes to the normal Beethro graphics. Look for yourself!

07-26-2004 at 09:20 PM
agaricus5

File: Trapdoor.bmp (670 bytes)
Downloaded 116 times.
License: Other
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Well, at least until I finish the trapdoors. I played the first level of Dugans' with it, and I found it to be very entertaining. Try it for yourself though!
Well, I'm no expert when it comes to tilesets, but for your trapdoors, why not just make them a different colour and look as if they are glowing to suggest that they are semi-radioactive?

07-26-2004 at 09:28 PM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro in Space! (Version 1.something now available!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com