Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DRODIS
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon DRODIS (0)  
Actually looks cool...too bad it won\'t be done.

04-08-2003 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DRODIS (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
Actually looks cool...too bad it won\'t be done.
Whaddya mean it won\'t be done?!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-08-2003 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
fatass
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Click here to view the secret text

04-08-2003 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Re: DRODIS (0)  
fatass wrote:
Aw, man... And I thought I was one of the devlopers too...

04-10-2003 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
What?!?! Are you saying that you think I\'d LIE to you? I\'m so insulted!!!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-11-2003 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
oops my mistake.

[Edited by Scott on 04-11-2003 at 12:32 AM GMT]
04-11-2003 at 01:28 AM
Zandor 12
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
YOU PEOPLE ARE MESSING WITH MY MIND AND IT HURTS. If the news post is real, then you stand guilty of promising a rabid fan who loves level editors rabidly (and will even play a horrible game like Skunny because of them) a level editor for what was for a long time his favorite game, then taking it away from him. If it\'s fake, you\'re all meanie-heads.

"Because it was stappled to the rabbit."
04-11-2003 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Now, now, calm down... There\'s no need to use such emotive language to describe your feelings.

Anyway, aren\'t you interested in DRODIS at all, or is the level editor the only thing on your mind?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 04-11-2003 at 01:21 PM GMT]

04-11-2003 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
My opinion on the matter is:

Assuming this isn\'t a joke (though I think it probably is, and it has far overstayed its welcome):

1 - The delay in the level editor is a major disappointment, especially since it seems that it was quite close to release.

2 - As for everything else, DRODIS sounds like a far less interesting game than DROD - not because I like a futuristic setting less than a medieval one (though I do), but because lasers and mirrors are found in so many other puzzle games but DROD\'s sword and its behavior were unique to DROD, a great part of the game\'s appeal, and there\'s so much more that can be done with them. So basically, while DRODIS isn\'t necessarily a bad thing in itself, it is not nearly as good a thing as more DROD.

3. So yeah, basically I don\'t like this - either as a joke or a real thing.

(Edited because I forgot how to do bbscript tags properly)

[Edited by eytanz on 04-12-2003 at 01:03 AM GMT]

04-11-2003 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
eytanz wrote:
My opinion on the matter is:

Assuming this isn\'t a joke (though I think it probably is, and it has <b>far<b> overstayed its welcome):

1 - The delay in the level editor is a major disappointment, especially since it seems that it was quite close to release.

2 - As for everything else, DRODIS sounds like a far less interesting game than DROD - not because I like a futuristic setting less than a medieval one (though I do), but because lasers and mirrors are found in so many other puzzle games but DROD\'s sword and its behavior were unique to DROD, a great part of the game\'s appeal, and there\'s so much more that can be done with them. So basically, while DRODIS isn\'t necessarily a bad thing in itself, it is not nearly as good a thing as more DROD.

3. So yeah, basically I don\'t like this - either as a joke or a real thing.
Wow, I didn\'t realize that DRODIS offended you so much. I\'m sorry, and as a result I\'ll admit that it is indeed a joke for April Fools Day. DRODtris, too. All those screenshots were fakes and the \"quotes\" from Erik were written by me. I personally didn\'t expect anyone to fall for it and so I didn\'t even try to make it believable. There\'ll be another update in a couple of weeks were I officially recant any statement I\'d made.

-Groucho Marx
04-11-2003 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh... I didn\'t mean to sound very offended - I wasn\'t, really; but the point of April Fool\'s joke, at least in my opinion, is that they end once April Fool\'s is over...

Oh, and I should point out that DRODtris sounded really cool :)

[Edited by eytanz on 04-12-2003 at 01:11 AM GMT]

04-12-2003 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Zandor 12 wrote:
YOU PEOPLE ARE MESSING WITH MY MIND AND IT HURTS. If the news post is real, then you stand guilty of promising a rabid fan who loves level editors rabidly (and will even play a horrible game like Skunny because of them) a level editor for what was for a long time his favorite game, then taking it away from him. If it\'s fake, you\'re all meanie-heads.
Yeah, it was mean. Like, they canned my level editor and I didn\'t even know about it! Naw, I wouldn\'t allow someone to let all that good work go to waste. I think the game ideas sound nice (in certain ways) too, but level editors are a must. And I hope we can put out lots of great new stuff after that too! Now that my (practically) last semester is ending here, I hope to have lots of time to throw at this release. I can\'t wait till we get it out!

04-12-2003 at 02:31 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: Re: DRODIS (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I hope to have lots of time to throw at this release. I can\'t wait till we get it out!
On that note, if there\'s anything I can do, just let me know.

04-12-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Zandor 12
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Whew. Thinking back on it, I was actually being quite silly- I only check for updates once every couple of weeks, so I didn\'t realize it was a joke until afterwards. April 1st news...how could I not have known?

And I\'m sorry for calling you meanie-heads. Although to be honest I have no idea who I was talking to.

I basically agree with Malarame; although DRODIS and DrodTris sound interesting, they wouldn\'t be as good as Drod, be it Caravel or Webfoot. On the other hand, level editors are nifty.

"Because it was stappled to the rabbit."
04-12-2003 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Schik wrote:
On that note, if there\'s anything I can do, just let me know.
Had some free time today and got three tasks wrapped up. (Do a cvs update.) Feel free to take a whack at whatever\'s left to do on the SF page. Once it\'s all done, we\'ll have a beta release! And once we\'re sure that\'s working well, we\'ll be able to start adding all the cool new stuff to the next version!

04-13-2003 at 05:08 AM
Malarame
eytanz wrote:
Oh... I didn\'t mean to sound very offended - I wasn\'t, really; but the point of April Fool\'s joke, at least in my opinion, is that they end once April Fool\'s is over...

Oh, and I should point out that DRODtris sounded really cool :)
I wanted to give people time to notice the update and even speculate on its validity. And I agree that DRODtris would probably be a nice little diversion for those times when you just can\'t beat a certain room and you need a break from it. It might be cool if someone threw together something quick. Incidently, what language was DROD written in? I\'ve never looked at any of the code for it.

-Groucho Marx
04-14-2003 at 01:47 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
It appears to be written in C

04-14-2003 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
It\'s in C++, although it still has some old C idioms in the code.

04-14-2003 at 05:09 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: Re: DRODIS (0)  
mrimer wrote:
It\'s in C++, although it still has some old C idioms in the code.
Poop, are you serious? You had better re-consider my contributions - I thought this was perl.

04-14-2003 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Reading this reminds me of the Zelda 64 April Fool's joke which still has people fooled.

Let's nip in the bud, people, before it gets out of hand.

Matt

05-31-2003 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Zelda 64 joke? What was that? (I mean I know what Zelda 64 is, but I wasn't aware of any April Fool's joke)

05-31-2003 at 09:40 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Wasn't it something about getting the Triforce in Ocarina? Some insane amount of nearly impossible stuff to do for no purpose?

05-31-2003 at 09:53 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Yeah, like getting Luigi in Mario 64!

Just think of all the people who did insane amounts of silly tasks to accomplish absolutely nothing. However, the ones I pity more are those who had to work so hard to get the fake screenshots! ;)

06-01-2003 at 04:58 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Or resurrecting Aeris in Final Fantasy 7..

06-13-2003 at 11:39 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
All those - Nintendo posted on april 1st a few years ago now that the Triforce was a hidden item that went in the centre of the six Medallions on the quest screen, and this was why the game let you continue on after you beat Ganon.

They posted a bunch of fake screenshots, and there were enough gullable people that didn't notice that the Triforce design wasn't actually a hole to perpetuate it around on the Internet, despite plenty of denials from both Nintendo and the game's scriptwriter (who, it's assumed, would have writen something about finding the Triforce).

Never heard how Luigi in SM64 came about, but it's probably possible as Luigi was initally in the game, but was cut due to development issues.

<spoiler for those who were planning on playing FF7>

I recall also that there were a lot of 'cheats' for finding secret pokémon in the first versions of the game. For the record, the Yoshi one actually worked, as I recall.

Matt

06-14-2003 at 01:40 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Mwahaha... little do you realize that I caught mew without the aid of any cheat devices or promos.

It's a method I stumbled on the internet on by accident. I'll post it on the anything board now.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
10-15-2004 at 05:12 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Wow, and here I thought Beethro in Space was an original idea of my own. I guess great minds think alike, even if one is just joking. Still, it's nice to see it actually happening.

10-15-2004 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Deadly Relative Of Dimension In Space

In which Beethro, thinking he's found an Empire's Guard Outpost, discovers something entirely different...

[Last edited by coppro at 06-27-2011 07:41 AM]
06-27-2011 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DRODIS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes