Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Wisp
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
IP: Logged
icon Wisp (0)  
The Wisp is a flying creature, and moves just like a flying roach, but with a twist. The twist for the Wisp, is that it can teleport, but only over a wall or doorway 1 square wide.

When a roach is next to a wall, it will move to get "in line" with Beethro, and will not move if already lined up. The Wisp will not bother lining itself up with Beethro, but instead, just teleport over the wall to the other side to get closer to Beethro. If the wall or door is thicker than 1 square, it will behave just like a flying roach.

When the Wisp wishes to teleport, it will freeze in place for 1 move and glow. The next turn it will appear where it has teleported, glowing again. On the next move it looks normal again, and moves the way discussed above. It is possible for the Wisp to leapfrog itself through a set of corridors like below (B is Beethro, W is Wisp, ! is teleporting Wisp, # is the wall):

W
##### Before Teleport

#####
B
#####

!
##### Now Teleporting, it is glowing

#####
B
#####

##### Completed Teleport, it is glowing
!
#####
B
#####

##### It can now attack and move
W
#####
B
#####

##### Now Teleporting
!
#####
B
#####

##### Completed Teleport, it is glowing

#####
!B
#####

##### It can now attack Beethro if he is still standing there.

#####
WB
#####

As an additional annoyance. If a brain is in the room, the Wisp is able to leap larger distances. Instead of being blocked by a 2 square wide obsticle, it could only be blocked by 5 squares, or more. So these guys are nasty, but the downside is that they are frozen for a turn before and after they teleport.

Some specific situtations that might come up:

If the Wisp is trapped in a door (closed on him), he can teleport out of it, but for 1 turn he will be frozen (just like 1/2 the teleport cycle above). He can teleport over orbs, doors, walls, and other creatures, but NOT Beethro. So the Wisp can NOT move over Beethro and attack him from behind. If the barrier is removed during the transport, such as a door opening, or a cracked wall being destroyed, the teleport will be interrupted and it will stay in place, glowing, for the next turn. The following turn it may move again. The Wisp can teleport over a row of roaches on the other side of a wall if there is a brain in the room, but if the roach moves or is killed when the Wisp starts its teleport, it will interrupt the teleport like the door/cracked wall scenario above.

The Wisp will not be affected by Beethro's movement while in the 3 turns of teleportation. In this way, Beethro can anticipate where the Wisp will pop up, and be ready to smite him.

I am probably missing some other possibilities, but let me know what you think.
02-03-2004 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Wisp (0)  
This is good, but I don't like the differences with brains. Why should being smarter allow it to jump farther?

And could it jump over serpents?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-03-2004 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
I suppose that if they are smarter, then they are better at teleporting themselves...
:)
02-03-2004 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
Yeah. I think they could jump over serpents. And if a brain was in the room, they could jump over a couple, or a serpent that has double-backed on itself.
02-03-2004 at 07:12 PM
zzyzx
I think I confused things a bit. When I said jump and leap, I meant teleport, not physically jump or leap.

;)
02-03-2004 at 07:16 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I for one believe that the walls are sort of sacred, and should be an obstacle to everything, or the only place one thing can exist.

That is a reason I don't like this idea. Another is that it is fairly complex, especially with the brain sending it through multiple walls.

I do like the fact that when it does try to teleport, it takes time, and is not immediate. But I just can't bring myself to throw out wall sacredness.

02-03-2004 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
What about ghouls and ghosts? They stay on walls save to kill Beethro. I admit that they sort of reverse walls and spaces, but still...

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-04-2004 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I for one believe that the walls are sort of sacred, and should be an obstacle to everything, or the only place one thing can exist.

I referred to ghouls and ghosts in "the only place one thing can exist." I think I was unclear though. If something can ONLY exist in walls, save to kill Beethro, it is okay. I don't like the wall and floor bit though.

02-04-2004 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Oh, sorry. My bad :(

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-04-2004 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply