Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : [from Feature Request] Pressure Plates/Spying on Caravel
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: [from Feature Request] Pressure Plates/Spying on Caravel (0)  
masonjason wrote:
Ah - but how many people work for Caravel? There could only be 36 people, otherwise at least one person wouldn't be able to see someone else. And if there were any more than about 25, things would be pretty cramped. This is assuming that everyone's Beethro-sized, of course.

However, if everyone has drunk an invisibility potion, then no-one will be able to see anyone else. :D

02-18-2004 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
They'll be able to "smell" each other, which would probably amount to the same thing.

02-18-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
masonjason wrote:
They'll be able to "smell" each other, which would probably amount to the same thing.
Eeww!

:sick

02-18-2004 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Humans have very insensitive noses, unlike monsters. It is very unlikely that we could smell each other. However, we could definitely hear each other.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-18-2004 at 05:28 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Oh, I don't know about that. I mean, I agree that hearing would be the most obvious way for us to notice each other if we were all invisible. But I think you're disparaging the average human's sense of smell, or ability to produce a smell, a bit too much. If you've never known someone who could announce their presence to the room by their body odor, then you're a very lucky person.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-18-2004 at 05:56 PM
agaricus5
Oneiromancer wrote:
Oh, I don't know about that. I mean, I agree that hearing would be the most obvious way for us to notice each other if we were all invisible. But I think you're disparaging the average human's sense of smell, or ability to produce a smell, a bit too much. If you've never known someone who could announce their presence to the room by their body odor, then you're a very lucky person.

Game on,
It depends. Some people do not have a particularly detectable smell, while others do have an odour that you can recognise. It just depends if there are any people on the Caravel team with distinctive natural odours. Of course, there is always the possibility that someone smells because he/she does not take frequent washes.

Then again, you may be able to smell an invisible companion, but unlike a Dungeon Roach, it's highly unlikely you can use your nose to pinpoint his/her position at a distance.

02-18-2004 at 06:06 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
agaricus5 wrote:
Of course, there is always the possibility that someone smells because he/she does not take frequent washes.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was implying.

Then again, you may be able to smell an invisible companion, but unlike a Dungeon Roach, it's highly unlikely you can use your nose to pinpoint his/her position at a distance.

Well, true, but this discussion came about from talking about having invisible meetings right under other people's noses, which is in general a short enough distance that you'd either be able to smell someone's B.O. or their deodorant. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-18-2004 at 06:15 PM
The_Red_Hawk
But then you might just think that you're queer. :D

02-18-2004 at 06:51 PM
masonjason
You know, I've just had the weirdest thought. Maybe there's never going to be a DROD 1.seven (sorry, my seven key doesn't work) or Journey to Rooted Hold, or indeed any more versions of DROD, and Caravel are just stringing us along in an elaborate practical joke. In fact, maybe DROD 1.6 doesn't really exist either, and it's just a collective hallucination.

02-19-2004 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
SSSHHH!!!!! Don't give them ideas! ;)

02-19-2004 at 07:02 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
masonjason wrote:
You know, I've just had the weirdest thought. Maybe there's never going to be a DROD 1.seven (sorry, my seven key doesn't work) or Journey to Rooted Hold, or indeed any more versions of DROD, and Caravel are just stringing us along in an elaborate practical joke. In fact, maybe DROD 1.6 doesn't really exist either, and it's just a collective hallucination.
I know you are joking or half-joking, but I just want to mention that there is a fantastic amount of work getting done on JtRH right now. For the sake of good showmanship and other reasons, the team is keeping quiet about all our little successes. But believe you me, steady progress is being made and the game will be released.

-Erik

02-19-2004 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
But maybe you're a hallucination as well! :fun
EDIT: I've just realised that that would mean that no version of DROD has ever existed! Which means that this forum doesn't exist either! Which means that I've wasted 111 posts' worth of my time staring at a blank screen!:(
(Disclaimer: in this post, and my previous one, I was fully joking.)

[Edited by masonjason on 02-19-2004 at 08:17 PM GMT]

02-19-2004 at 08:13 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Yep, Erik is a master of hypnotism. :)

02-20-2004 at 02:52 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Ok, secret plans revealed(I snooped around SourceForge.net; evidently they forgot to clean every task up):

NPC: Apparently there will be two varieties, one with which the player will have to battle; and one which will will simply taunt Beethro.

THIS JUST IN!

Percent Complete:
95% Priority:
Task Summary:
BUG: The flow doesn't interact with water squares
Original Comment:
Water squares that are placed from the editor don't interact correctly with the flow - it seems to treat them like other obstacles. Compare this to the way two flows interact.

Also, the editor water squares are a different color than the water created by the flow (well, they're the same color as flow edges, but not as the water created once the flow fills an area).

Start Date:
2004-02-01
End Date:
2004-02-01

Also, Caravel has essentially confirmed that finished rooms will stay finished even if we leave and return to the level.

Also, SHOULD be able to select where EACH INDIVIDUAL STAIRS leads.

Anyone else have any updates?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-21-2004 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Cool! How come I didn't notice that task manager thing when I was looking around there before?
Embedded hold styles seem to be in, which is good.

02-21-2004 at 12:39 AM
agaricus5
Oh dear, Erik!

You need a security lockdown! ;)

02-21-2004 at 12:43 AM
joker5
Yeah. Of course, it could be all a huge vat of red herring...

That's why none of this information is guaranteed good.

But I'm glad for leaky security.

See, the reason I know about this stuff is that I know DROD is fundamentally interesting. So I looked at the SF page. Most of the stuff is the devteam equivilent of white noise, designed to throw the average snooper off.

I looked through the reports, and found this stuff.

Of course I'm not saying you shouldn't do what those tasks say; I'm just saying they're effective camoflage.

Unfortunately; I can't regularly check the page 'cause RL gets in the way and then I forget and blah blah blah.

So we need a SF-snoop rota.

Volunteers?

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 02-21-2004 at 12:51 AM GMT]

02-21-2004 at 12:49 AM
ErikH2000
None of this stuff is secret, really. It just isn't useful for the team to be talking a lot about JtRH when the game isn't close to done. But by all means, take a look at the SourceForge tasks if you like.

-Erik

02-21-2004 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Thankee. But it's still semi-covered up... you DID hide the tracker.

~joker5

02-21-2004 at 01:06 AM
ErikH2000
joker5 wrote:
Thankee. But it's still semi-covered up... you DID hide the tracker.
The tracker (Feature Requests) isn't used anymore. (See sticky post at top of board for reasons why not.) Yes, there are some secrets, but this isn't one of them, you slyguy.

-Erik

02-21-2004 at 01:23 AM
joker5
If I wanted to be argumentative I'd say that those things showed a lot more information, but I think centralisation is important for this community.

And I don't think I'm sly... I'm investigative. There's a difference; with "sly" I sound like I'm an evil sneak all the time. With "investigative" it sounds like I'm a flaming weasel:).

~joker5

02-21-2004 at 01:29 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
All I would ask is that if you want to write here about something you see on SF, that you put it in secret text with a warning that you're talking about 1.7 stuff. There may be people here who would rather have everything about 1.7 be a complete surprise.

02-21-2004 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
No problem, fella. Didn't mean to make you sound like an "evil sneak"--just poking at you a little. :)

-Erik

02-21-2004 at 02:11 AM
The_Red_Hawk
How do you get to the page?

02-21-2004 at 02:14 AM
joker5
www.sourceforge.net

Search for DROD

Then it's "tasks".

The Tracker used to be sort of a feature request board from what I gather; the original Flow was there. Now, though, I cruise the bugs board in hopes that small bugs will appear about interesting stuff.

Not large bugs, becauase then the work will be set back.

No bugs are good, but a few small bugs are better 'cause then we can try to infer what's going to be in and what's not.

Say, what IS
Click here to view the secret text

I'll understand if you don't want to answer....

And Schick, sorry. From now on secrets in secret tags.

~joker5

02-21-2004 at 02:18 AM
ErikH2000
joker5 wrote: Say, what IS...
I don't mind you asking, but please don't expect us (people working on the next release) to take time to answer questions about what will be in the game. When the game is done, you'll see exactly what it has to offer. Until then, you can maybe satisfy your curiousity by peeking in at SF, but keep in mind anything can change.

-Erik

02-21-2004 at 03:12 AM
joker5
Okeydokey.

New(or rather OLD) update.

I was cruising through the old SF bugs and I discovered these gems(NOTE! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. THESE ARE POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR 1.7):

So, discovered confirmed elements are:

Stars is uncertainty. For instance the first item is confirmed by bug reports; while the last item is implied by something confirmed on the board.

I know I'm missing a few things... if anyone can see what I didn't remember please don't hesitate to post.

~joker5

02-21-2004 at 01:51 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I think there were one or two minor things that were confirmed recently.

And thanks for posting that stuff here!

02-21-2004 at 02:15 PM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
I wondered which things were confermed
02-21-2004 at 02:21 PM
joker5
Welcome. I'm just wondering what I missed...

And sims? This stuff is SPIED. This means no confirmation. This stuff is figured-out-by via bug reports, forum gossip, and the occasional slip of the fingers by our dear dev team.

~joker5

02-21-2004 at 06:24 PM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : [from Feature Request] Pressure Plates/Spying on Caravel
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com