Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Fool's Errand
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
IP: Logged

File: The Fools Errand.hold (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 311 times.
License: Other
icon The Fool's Errand (+4)  
No relation to the game by Cliff Johnson, of course. Having finished my finals, I decided to whip up a small hold over the last couple of days. Again, it's hard for me to judge difficulty, so it might be extraordinarily easy or extraordinarily hard (especially since I haven't been playing many of the recent holds, so I have little sense about how difficult they've become.) I should probably say a few words about this hold, but I think I'll let it speak for itself...
01-25-2004 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Either this hold is the most impossibly difficult hold I have ever played in my life and therefore the puzzles are the best I've seen, or this is a red herring hold intended to be impossible.

I absolutely guarantee that this hold is possible; I can complete it myself without dying once (and I myself am usually very prone to mistakes.)
01-26-2004 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
I can't see how. Put me out of my misery and send me a demo of 3S or 2S.

01-26-2004 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
So I should say that this hold is sort of meant as a joke, in that all the rooms seem impossible but really aren't, and I don't want to ruin the punchline just yet. Remember, fools rush in where angels fear to tread...

[Edited by bibelot on 01-26-2004 at 01:13 AM GMT]
01-26-2004 at 01:12 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you leave the entrance by the east exit without solving the other rooms first, you cannot get back.

01-26-2004 at 01:19 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 01-26-2004 at 01:31 AM GMT]

01-26-2004 at 01:23 AM
agaricus5
I have never felt so bad in my entire life.

bibelot, ignore my PM and the above post (I'll delete it).

I assumed a green door barred the way to the south passages.

The rooms look relatively easy now with the non-removal of the certain obstructions that I was careless not to notice.

01-26-2004 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
agaricus5 wrote:
I assumed a green door barred the way to the south passages.

You mean they don't? I see lots of green doors on the right hand side. And of course there are none on the left, how else did you see all the rooms?

The rooms look relatively easy now with the non-removal of the certain obstructions that I was careless not to notice.

I still don't get it, but I will be patient.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2004 at 01:32 AM
bibelot
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I did, however, find a way to beat 7S.

Oops. Well bravo then, RoboBob. I had the nagging suspicion that that room was going to be possible, just because of the small entrance and exit. Hmm, I'll have to replace it with something more devious in the next version.

Oh, um, that isn't to say that the room should have been impossible or anything...

eytanz wrote:
If you leave the entrance by the east exit without solving the other rooms first, you cannot get back.

That's intentional; it's sort of a silly thing to do anyway.

Oh, and if anyone figures out what my trick to solving these rooms is, could you keep it a secret (for the benefit of the others, of course)?
01-26-2004 at 01:38 AM
agaricus5
Oneiromancer wrote:

I still don't get it, but I will be patient.

Game on,

I feel worse now that I know that you and 27 others have a copy of my post.

Oh, well.

So. I'll admit I was very impatient to look at it abstractedly, and will still admit that for 2S, 3S, 5S, 6S, 8S and 9S if it were possible to do them without the thing necessary, these are the best puzzles I would have ever seen.

Since, however, it is actualy a completely different hold when played differently, my opinion has changed about it. I think that it is quite easy now, although the solutions are interesting for some of them, 9S being one of them. However, it is my opinion also that at least a hint scroll should be placed in the entrance - it's rather cruel to test the patience like that.

Again, apologies to bibelot - I didn't mean to be so impatient/rude (It's what I get for playing DROD at 1am in the morning.)

01-26-2004 at 01:40 AM
eytanz
Ah. Got it.

Hint:

01-26-2004 at 01:48 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
That's not much of a hint, unless you know the trick. Which I don't, so it's not much of a hint.

01-26-2004 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I think that's as much of a hint as I can give without spoiling it.

01-26-2004 at 02:09 AM
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I've not yet discovered the trick everyone's alluding to, but 6S (the one with the goblins) is possible to solve in a normal way.
01-26-2004 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Very clever. Well done!

01-26-2004 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I think I'm gonna cry... I can't get it... but I will not give up, I will press on!

...are you sure it's possible? :)
01-26-2004 at 03:42 AM
RoboBob3000
OK, I figured out the trick. Even still, going about the rooms in the new manner is difficult. I'm still stumped on the wraithwing one and the mimic one. Any hints?

01-26-2004 at 03:50 AM
BenStandeven
Rank Points: 34
I've figured out the trick, but 5S (with the tar mother) is still impossible. 7S could use some checkpoints, and 6S is just as easy to solve without the trick as with.
01-26-2004 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
BenStandeven wrote:
I've figured out the trick, but 5S (with the tar mother) is still impossible. 7S could use some checkpoints, and 6S is just as easy to solve without the trick as with.
Nope, the tar mother one is definitely possible. And yeah, I prefer to solve 6S the unintended way.

01-26-2004 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
I can't seem to figure out how to solve 7S - I could really use a hint (it's the only room I have left).

01-26-2004 at 05:00 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Just for the record, I did also figure it out a short while after I last posted. And I haven't yet solved 4S, 7S, or 8S...4S and 8S because they're annoying (I got down to 1 serpent on 4S and didn't even bother with 8S), and 7S I had a similar problem to Eytan. Very, very clever...and very, very evil.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2004 at 08:39 AM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
eytanz wrote:
I can't seem to figure out how to solve 7S - I could really use a hint (it's the only room I have left).
Hope that's helpful without giving it all away.

For the record it's 2:55 Sunday night/Monday morning and this evil hold kept me up until I solved every last room.

01-26-2004 at 09:03 AM
RoboBob3000

Now on to 9S. Or back to, rather. Ugh.

01-26-2004 at 09:47 AM
RoboBob3000
Scratch that request for a 9S hint. I got it. I'm finally done. Great hold! I love tiny ones like this that keep stumping you. Keep up the good work!

01-26-2004 at 09:57 AM
eytanz
Tscott wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Hope that's helpful without giving it all away.

Not really - that doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

01-26-2004 at 12:38 PM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
eytanz wrote:
Not really - that doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
Hmmm, what if I said...

01-26-2004 at 06:34 PM
Atch
Rank Points: 81
Hands up all those who think this is a conspiracy. :tabletalk
01-27-2004 at 12:31 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Argh. This is brilliant, and I'm all jealous 'cause I can't get past the entrance:( Seriously, from the sound of things its devious and beautiful. I only hope when I get there it'll live up.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-27-2004 at 01:31 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Yoink, I feel the fool :lol It's brilliant I tell you, BRILLIANT! This is IMO what DROD was MEANT to be.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-27-2004 at 01:33 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Hands up all those who think this is a conspiracy

My hand is in the air.

01-27-2004 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Fool's Errand
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com