Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The DROD Flash Project
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
IP: Logged
icon Re: The DROD Flash Project (0)  
So the svn server seems to be settled. I am sending passwords to all peoples registered in the first post.
07-31-2008 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
icon Re: The DROD Flash Project (+1)  
If your password is not working, you want to change the nickname or I forget someone, send me PM or post about the problem here.

You can change your password on the "Change password" tab at [url=https://opensvn.csie.org https://opensvn.csie.org . Project name is "drodflash".

Link to bug tracker: [url=https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/drodflash https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/drodflash .
07-31-2008 at 10:04 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I contacted mrimer asking about how much of the intellectual property we're allowed to use, but I haven't gotten a response yet, but I'm fairly sure they're fine with it given our mention in the Illumination.

Well, our next order of business should be to get a list of elements we can use, I'd like to get this set in stone as soon as possible so we can start building. I'm not sure how close the engine is to being in full working order (it is unresponsive when I press start on the test), but this is obviously the developers' top priority after we get down exactly what we're including in the engine. Note that things like monsters, doors, arrows etc take priority over things like undo.

08-04-2008 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
Snacko wrote:
I contacted mrimer asking about how much of the intellectual property we're allowed to use, but I haven't gotten a response yet, but I'm fairly sure they're fine with it given our mention in the Illumination.
Be careful with that leap of logic. I was the one who made the topic pick, not Mike. And Patrick assembled the Illumination. Mike just posted it.

You're probably okay, I'd just suggest waiting for actual word from a dev first.

08-04-2008 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Blerg, don't worry about the graphics. Use ascii or something in the meantime. And focus on one monster at a time, starting with the roach.
08-04-2008 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
NiroZ wrote:
Blerg, don't worry about the graphics. Use ascii or something in the meantime. And focus on one monster at a time, starting with the roach.
Actually, starting with Beethro - there are some tricky rules which determine when he can move, when he can't and when he dies immediately.
08-04-2008 at 07:00 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587

File: DrodLab.c (38.4 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
I still have some source code from a project I started when I was trying to make a DROD AI. I got as far as including Beethro, force arrows, orthosquares, hot tiles, roaches, roach queens, and evil eyes.

The code is all in C, but it is a bit messy and the queens do not spawn exactly the same as in DROD. The attached file has the code for the engine I had built (the interface and graphics handling are not in this file). I hope this helps.
08-04-2008 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
For graphics, weren't the AE graphics freely usable?
08-04-2008 at 07:18 PM
Snacko
Here's mrimer's PM regarding my questions:

Q: Are we allowed to do this?

A: Sure, Caravel allows DROD clones as long as you name your project something different than "DROD" or one of the other game titles that have are being used by Caravel. Calling it something like "Flash DROD" even should be fine. Including a mention back to the original DROD or Caravel pages somewhere might be nice, but you don't have to say the project is made by Caravel or anything.

Q: Am I allowed to lend my voice, if possible?

A: Sure! That would be a nice touch.

Q: Are we allowed to use any of your tutorials? Of course we'll need to make our own to some point (we aren't including all the elements), but some of the TCB ones are about certain elements.

A: If you mean copying room layouts or texts from the tutorial rooms, then I'd have to sign off on the specific parts you want to use, but I have an open mind about giving permission for that. Just ask when you have some specific content in mind.

Q: Can we link to this site without your permission?

A: Yes, always.

Q: Are we allowed to make references to anything concerning The Eighth such as the history of some of the elements, any of the goings on in the main storyline, etc.?

A: Yes.

Q: Are we allowed to use any of the "real" game's code?

A: Yes, you may, as long as you adhere to the Mozilla Public License that DROD's code uses. You may read about it here:

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

Q: Can we have any support from the Caravel staff?

A: You may solicit help from people on the Caravel team, but I myself am really busy with all these various projects going on right now and can't commit to anything.

... (see below)

Mike

I also asked about payment, but let's just say it isn't likely that we'll receive money directly from Caravel, I'm personally fine with that, but note that anyone involved with the project will only get money from things like ad revenue.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-06-2008 04:32 AM : fixed formatting]
08-05-2008 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kyevan
Has anyone considered what version of Flash to target? The natural inclination is the newest, with all the fancy features and such.

BUT...

If you target Flash 7, not only do we get a no-download DROD introduction, but we also get a DRODish game playable on the Wii. Sure, controls might be weird, but changing the control scheme is a lot easier than writing a second Flash DRODlike!

I don't actually know ActionScript*, but I'm willing to learn, or help out in whatever other way I can.

*: I'm somewhat competent in Java and Ruby, used to be in Scheme and Python (and would be again if I had to be and had access to a reference manual while getting back into the swing of it :P)
08-05-2008 at 04:12 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I thought I'd post here too. I have no programing or flash skills whatsoever, but I'd like to help designing levels and play testing.

(Just so you know, I'll be gone on vacation for a week now, and probably I will not have any access to Internet.)

08-05-2008 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
To be honest, DROD doesn't seem like the best game to play on a wii.
08-06-2008 at 03:53 AM
halyavin
kyevan wrote:
If you target Flash 7, not only do we get a no-download DROD introduction, but we also get a DRODish game playable on the Wii. Sure, controls might be weird, but changing the control scheme is a lot easier than writing a second Flash DRODlike!
Sorry, I am using Action Script 3.0 which requires Flash 9 and I think it is too hard to write such large project using Action Script 2.0.

I don't actually know ActionScript*, but I'm willing to learn, or help out in whatever other way I can.

*: I'm somewhat competent in Java and Ruby, used to be in Scheme and Python (and would be again if I had to be and had access to a reference manual while getting back into the swing of it :P)
The help I am currently needed - creating (using AE graphics as starting point where possible) tiles for game elements and corresponding *Style classes (in FlashDROD/org/drod/graphics/styles). Others *Style classes can be used as template. For those, who are familiar with Paint.NET (and a little familiar with C#) I can share some usefull effects created by Codelab plugin. Are someone interested?
08-06-2008 at 03:02 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I avoid Flash like the plague for a number of reasons, but I would strongly recommend using the existing .tim mechanism, if possible. You would need the list of tiles from the DROD source (DROD/TileConstants.h), but it would make it compatible with existing DROD styles.
08-07-2008 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
coppro wrote:
I avoid Flash like the plague for a number of reasons, but I would strongly recommend using the existing .tim mechanism, if possible. You would need the list of tiles from the DROD source (DROD/TileConstants.h), but it would make it compatible with existing DROD styles.
We use 14x14 sprites instead of 22x22 sprites in existing DROD styles. So compatibility is already broken.
08-07-2008 at 06:39 AM
kyevan
coppro wrote:
You still couldn't USE them. That would require redistributing the styles (as part of the flash file), which is a no-no.
08-07-2008 at 08:32 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
kyevan wrote:
coppro wrote:
You still couldn't USE them. That would require redistributing the styles (as part of the flash file), which is a no-no.
I'm genuinely intrigued... why is it a no-no? Is embedding graphics in a flash app not possible?
08-07-2008 at 08:37 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
kyevan wrote:
Only for the built-in styles of JtRH and TCB, but not user-created or AE styles.

The constants defined in TileConstants.h file are MPL'd, so they can be used as well.

08-07-2008 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kyevan
Syntax wrote:
I'm genuinely intrigued... why is it a no-no? Is embedding graphics in a flash app not possible?
No, legal reasons. Caravel would get a little annoyed if we started redistributing their graphics. We COULD use user-created styles, but really, what's the point? You would have to recompile the thing to change the styles anyway, so you might as well do it in a more flash-like way, likely improving performance.

Besides, I think this is intended as more of a demo - once people get hooked, you direct them to the download for the normal DROD version anyway :lol
08-07-2008 at 06:53 PM
Snacko
Mrimer told me he was willing to be pretty generous with giving permission to use Caravel resources, if you want to use licensed graphics, it couldn't hurt to ask, after all, we're doing this to expand the community.

08-07-2008 at 11:19 PM
hyphz
Rank Points: 34
I would like to help out with this if I can. I am still learning ActionScript but have quite a lot of general programming experience.
08-11-2008 at 12:28 AM
Snacko
Can we get scrolls working? This is all I need to know to start building tutorials for what we have so far.

[Last edited by Snacko at 08-11-2008 02:50 AM]
08-11-2008 at 02:49 AM
halyavin
Definitely. I think that we will implement all DROD 2.0 elements and some DROD 3.0 ones (platforms, mirrors, citizens, big rock golems and builders seem the most disturbing). And, of course, scripting is hard to implement too.
PS The room should be in upper-left corner for my hold convertation program.
08-11-2008 at 08:21 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I'd say that scripting is probably a big no-no. Even an editor is probably something to do near the end, if ever.
08-11-2008 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
No, don't do an editor. If they want an editor, they can get the game here.
08-11-2008 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
Scripting can be done the way the 'Neather was scripted if we need it :P
(The 'Neather is part of the program code.)
08-11-2008 at 07:27 PM
hyphz
Rank Points: 34
One thing I should mention that I haven't seen addressed yet:

Games on Kongregate make money (advertising revenue). I suggest that we know in advance what will be done with this money to prevent huge amounts of drama later on.

Edit: Can whoever did the hold importing please make it align with chaco's template, so that it grabs the room data from the centre of the room, not the top left?

[Last edited by hyphz at 08-12-2008 01:46 AM]
08-11-2008 at 09:54 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I'm willing to be a tester.
08-12-2008 at 01:59 AM
halyavin
hyphz wrote:
Edit: Can whoever did the hold importing please make it align with chaco's template, so that it grabs the room data from the centre of the room, not the top left?
I made the program more flexible:
java -jar HoldTrans.jar hhh.hold 28 24 5 4 hhh.xml

for hold with rooms in the center,
java -jar HoldTrans.jar hhh.hold 28 24 0 0 hhh.xml

for hold with rooms in the top left corner.
PS You have to manually delete <?xml...?> tag after that, or Flash compiler will not understand xml file otherwise.
08-12-2008 at 10:49 AM
kyevan
halyavin wrote:
And, of course, scripting is hard to implement too.
Perhaps the best way to handle scripting (since it's really rather useful for tutorials, especially, and the target for this project seems to be people who DON'T play DROD already) is to have some way to run custom actionscript for characters. Idealy, tied to the hold instead of the core, so it's easier to swap out, but doing it in the core, as a separate monster (like the 'Neather in Caravel's engine) would work as well.
08-12-2008 at 05:44 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The DROD Flash Project
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes