Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Written commands (Slight spinoff of notepad thread)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Written commands (0)  
I would like the player to be able to write to communicate with the other people in DROD. So, instead of a multiple choice list that is prompted I would like to add the ability to write what he would like to happen. And I want it to be flexable if at all possible.

For example, instead of writing something that sets of a set of commands (Although I would like that too) , I would like the player to say something that could be interpreted as scripting.
Ex. Player shouts to his ally the stalwart, "Move (2,-5)" And the stalwart moves like that.

I wish that man would stay away
07-19-2008 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Re: Written commands (0)  
The spitemaster wrote:
I would like the player to be able to write to communicate with the other people in DROD.
Well, we already have the CaravelNet chat...

So, instead of a multiple choice list that is prompted I would like to add the ability to write what he would like to happen. And I want it to be flexable if at all possible.
Wait, that sounds more like you want a Z-machine interpreter in DROD...

For example, instead of writing something that sets of a set of commands (Although I would like that too) , I would like the player to say something that could be interpreted as scripting.
Ex. Player shouts to his ally the stalwart, "Move (2,-5)" And the stalwart moves like that.
Oops, so you actually meant a script command line...

But seriously - I really, really, really doubt anything like that is going to happen... it's just too complicated and distracts from the game.

Not to mention that lots of people playing DROD haven't built a hold and written an NPC script in their whole career, nor do they intend to - not everyone's a programmer, contrary to what RAD-enthusiasts are seemingly bent on making everyone think.

np: The Cinematic Orchestra - Man With The Movie Camera (Live At The Royal Albert Hall)

07-19-2008 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Written commands (Slight spinoff of notepad thread)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com